Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 04:20 PM

233 posts, read 282,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
And yet Clemson has recently ranked higher in the student happiness and return on investment categories.
Folks also thought Enron was a good investment at one time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 04:22 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,856,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillesc View Post
Has the state actively and deliberately denied other institutions the right to perform the same tuition increases? I've heard of them limiting the percentage at which a school can raise tuition. Did Clemson seek more raises over the years? I don't know, but I HIGHLY doubt the state allowed Clemson some outrageous increase, and greatly limited all other institutions at the same time.
Come on gvillesc, you know Clemson gets special favors. I mean look at it, the state let Clemson build in a absolutely beautiful geographic area with a blue ridge mountain backdrop to the campus. The state let Clemson build a football stadium overlooking a lake instead of sea of blacktop parking lot. The state let Clemson win SC's only football national championship. The state let Clemson establish an urban cluster in Greenville. The state let Clemson develop a research partnership with BMW, the world's premium automobile brand. Yep....I agree with vhammond, Clemson has received special favors.

Old 02-11-2013, 04:25 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,856,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillesc View Post
Has the state actively and deliberately denied other institutions the right to perform the same tuition increases? I've heard of them limiting the percentage at which a school can raise tuition. Did Clemson seek more raises over the years? I don't know, but I HIGHLY doubt the state allowed Clemson some outrageous increase, and greatly limited all other institutions at the same time.
Come on gvillesc, you know Clemson gets special favors. I mean look at it, the state let Clemson build in a absolutely beautiful geographic area with a blue ridge mountain backdrop to the campus. The state let Clemson build a football stadium overlooking a lake instead of a sea of blacktop parking lot. The state let Clemson win SC's only football national championship. The state let Clemson establish an urban cluster in Greenville. The state let Clemson develop a research partnership with BMW, the world's premium automobile brand. Yep....I agree with vhammond, Clemson has received special favors, can manipulation of rankings be far behind?

Old 02-11-2013, 05:30 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,609,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Come on gvillesc, you know Clemson gets special favors. I mean look at it, the state let Clemson build in a absolutely beautiful geographic area with a blue ridge mountain backdrop to the campus. The state let Clemson build a football stadium overlooking a lake instead of a sea of blacktop parking lot. The state let Clemson win SC's only football national championship. The state let Clemson establish an urban cluster in Greenville. The state let Clemson develop a research partnership with BMW, the world's premium automobile brand. Yep....I agree with vhammond, Clemson has received special favors, can manipulation of rankings be far behind?
Which post should I respond to.......Clemson is in a scenic area. But, some prefer being in a city vs. a rural setting. Let's look at more of your comments...........football stadium, Williams Brice is surrounded by landscaped parking areas which have won great national reviews, more to follow over the next couple of years...19m practice facility, 15m plaza on stadium grounds. Clemson's title............followed by not one but 2 probations, one almost the death penalty for providing players with cash. BMW also has working relationships with Carolina as does Boeing, Fluor, Cisco, Nephoron Pharm, etc....you get the point. As for manipulating rankings, that was stated by a Clemson administrator, not me. You can email her with your concerns. Of course, Carolina has SC's largest endowment, largest annual research grants, largest pool of applicants, largest fund raising, tc.....again, you get the point. And, it is centered in a great urban area.

Now, do you want to know more? If so, pm me, you may learn.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:16 PM

233 posts, read 282,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
Which post should I respond to.......Clemson is in a scenic area. But, some prefer being in a city vs. a rural setting. Let's look at more of your comments...........football stadium, Williams Brice is surrounded by landscaped parking areas which have won great national reviews, more to follow over the next couple of years...19m practice facility, 15m plaza on stadium grounds. Clemson's title............followed by not one but 2 probations, one almost the death penalty for providing players with cash. BMW also has working relationships with Carolina as does Boeing, Fluor, Cisco, Nephoron Pharm, etc....you get the point. As for manipulating rankings, that was stated by a Clemson administrator, not me. You can email her with your concerns. Of course, Carolina has SC's largest endowment, largest annual research grants, largest pool of applicants, largest fund raising, tc.....again, you get the point. And, it is centered in a great urban area.

Now, do you want to know more? If so, pm me, you may learn.
Good post, GS seems to be short on logic. The point is there is no way state schools should have huge differences in tuition. Luckily, Carolina is raising record amounts funds/research grants and turning out national business leaders like Bob McNair, Fluor's CEO, Darla Moore, etc....the school has a great international reputation. As for the stadium, it looks great and the new parking areas are sensational. I like Clemson's setting but, I never had an interest in being in such a rural location for school. BTW, you forgot that the school is hiring 200 faculty members and will break ground on many new buildings within the year, including a new law school. And, the 2010 plan show a large number of new parks such as opening the creek up to land across from the engineering center, the ongoing improvements are sensational.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:20 PM

596 posts, read 937,208 times
i wouldn't call columbia and usc's campus all that urban.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:39 PM

5,276 posts, read 6,207,341 times
FWIW- the nature of Clemson's stronger & larger departments is going to be more expensive than most other departments at SC colleges/universities. Its best programs are the engineering programs and that requires both more expensive equipment and more dedicated lab space. On top of that it has to to compete with the other strong engineering schools in the region in terms of professor pay. So even when you discout for cost of living in Clemson/Pendleton/Seneca it still has to come within breathing distance of salaries at Georgia Tech, the Florida schools, Tobacco road. The architecture program also has to provide a dedicated work space for each student- which means the buiding is one half studio space. The science majors and agriculture programs have similar issues on a lesser scale.

The main purpose of ICAR is trying to attract business to the upstate, allow professors to straddle the line between academics & profession and have mainly grad students working on the upper end of research that will help them with post degree placement. Obviously this also draws them to Clemson as well. USC has tried a couple of similar ventures to even less success.

The truth of the matter is that a liberal arts tilted school (with the exception of Law schools) is going be much less costly in terms of staff salaries, facilities and necessary equipment.

I actually knew Clemson's President when he was the Architecture Dean and I was president of the student architecture group. He is very smart, very dedicated to Clemson & very good a focussing on the task at hand. As much as everyone wants to complain all he has done is taken the easiest path to an improved ranking. They send mailers yearly asking for even $5 donations & stating point blank that raising the % of alumni giving is the purpose. Salaries were not fudged- they simply listed a bunch of the benifits as part of the package- which many other schools already did. They have also tightened up on admissions and started to recruit more out of state students. The reality is that the tighter admissions also help keep down the number of students who barely make it in and are out within 2-3 semesters. And the attraction to out of state students is that they pay higher tuition than in state students even when they are given partial scholarships/waivers.

One thing Clemson was pretty open about was that they were compiling the information in the manner that put them in the best light. Its the same thing everyone does when they adjust their resume for a particular job listing (ie the same experince but prioritizing & rewording to suit the posting.) In general I think these rankings tilt towards Northeastern and California schools with the biggest names and closest proximities to other universities. They are much more familiar with one anothers staff/programs/student types than more spread out schools in the South, midwest, West.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:46 PM

5,276 posts, read 6,207,341 times
BTW- the state didn't let Clemson do squat in terms of location. John C Calhoun's son-in-law donated Calhoun family land to start the university. Hence the farm house smack dab in the middle of campus.

And the school and football team both predate the lake. You can thank rural elctrification for lake Hartwell. There are actually a couple of dikes at that edge of campius to maintain some low lying grounds. You can also only see the lake from the upper deck now. They closed most of the lower level on that end of the stadium back in the 00s. Trust me- I was there during the Hatfield/West era and at times staring out the west end toward the lake was the better view ;-)

Old 02-11-2013, 10:14 PM

596 posts, read 937,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
Sorry, but no way. As strange as it sounds in today's era of self-promotion, there are still people around who have some integrity. If EVERY university was doing this, they would all end up tied at the top, and US News would throw out the results. (Might not be a bad thang).

I'm not necessarily knocking Clemson, but ranking it above Ivy League schools, MIT, Cal Tech....???? And then trying to defend himself by stating that Clemson offers the best "total package" education in America??? It's one thing to be a supporter of your school, but this is complete, self-serving stupidity. He should be ashamed. Plaudits to the prof who blew the whistle.
engineering at clemson is as good as mit or cal tech, and easily better than any ivy league program.

you don't even go to these schools that you gush over and you claim they are superior? how the heck do you know? ivy league is real good at branding but their education isn't any better than any other school.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:40 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vhammond View Post
Actually, yes, a few years back, CLemson did institute a higher than average increase. And, by limiting the percentage increases at other state schools, they have allowed the gap between Clemson and the others to widen.
Do you have links?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina