Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 03:28 PM

617 posts, read 2,572,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoSix View Post

Is it that difficult to believe that maybe some people in a small area of a southern state were mean to someone based solely on their dislike for Northerners? Are you so in love with the myth of "everyone in the South is a sweetheart" that you have to personally attack those who expose the truth that Southerners are normal people? Some of which are nice, some of which are mean, some stupid, some smart?
No, it isn't difficult to believe. I missed your other thread I think, so I'm not sure where you visited but of course there's going to be "mean" people in the South! Especially going into smaller towns and such. They're not used to "different" people being around and don't want their town to be changed. I find that understandable, you just have to give some people time to get to know you.

Old 04-24-2007, 06:39 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,381,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by p2y2r7o View Post
No, it isn't difficult to believe. I missed your other thread I think, so I'm not sure where you visited but of course there's going to be "mean" people in the South! Especially going into smaller towns and such. They're not used to "different" people being around and don't want their town to be changed. I find that understandable, you just have to give some people time to get to know you.
You really have to be careful when generalizing "small towns" in SC. I know that in most towns around the Upstate folks from the North are more than welcome. This is probably true of all growing major metro areas in the state, but I cannot verify the other places (Columbia, Charleston, Myrtle Beach, Rock Hill).

I wasn't planning to post in this thread, hoping it would eventually fade away, but now that I have responded, it should be stated that the fear of Northerners moving to the South is based on a tiny minority of bad experiences, most of which likely could have been avoided or were related to very rural areas where old Southern tradition is a way of life. I can assure every hesitant Northerner that the New South is alive and well, even on the cutting edge of innovation in some areas (Greenville (http://www.greatergreenville.com/ - broken link)). You can now experience a vibrant, diverse, and exciting quality lifestyle in some of the most beautiful regions of the nation where at one time, hostility would have made it less desirable. The New South is here and has been accepting thousands of newcomers from the North every year for at least the past decade. It is nothing to worry about.

Old 04-24-2007, 07:49 PM

35 posts, read 121,088 times
Angry I can't wait to get out of the North

Quote:
I posted relatively recently about how many of the people we met in our short time in SC weren't all that nice. I wouldn't go so far as to say they were downright mean, but it was far from the fabled "southern hospitality" everyone likes to give lip service to.

I hold no animosity towards any southerner, the South in general, or even those people whom I considered to be less-than-friendly. I simply chalked it up to everyone having their own biases and prejudices, and I accepted it.

I had no preconceived notions of how things should be, I did not feel that locals should change their ways to fit into some mold of the life I was used to, nor did I have a chip on my shoulder with a bad attitude.

Yet, in this thread, by the very people whom are apparently chastising people such as myself because we've had a somewhat bad experience, we're called arrogant, mean, rude, and insulting. We're stereotyped as pushy jerks by the very people who are complaining about southerners being stereotyped as being slow.

This thread is overflowing with blatant hypocrisy.

Is it that difficult to believe that maybe some people in a small area of a southern state were mean to someone based solely on their dislike for Northerners? Are you so in love with the myth of "everyone in the South is a sweetheart" that you have to personally attack those who expose the truth that Southerners are normal people? Some of which are nice, some of which are mean, some stupid, some smart?

Before you go judging me for one comment I posted, perhaps you should step back in look in the mirror. I'm a bad guy for saying people in the south were kind of mean, and I thought I phrased my post so as not to offend anyone, but it's ok for all of you to call me arrogant and rude.

Perhaps there have been some posts by others that fit the description you've provided. However, I don't feel that I do, and as much as Southerner's don't like to be stereotyped and dsicriminated against, neither do I, so please don't paint me with your broad brush.
The reason people down South have a negative view of us "Northerners" is because the vast majority are rude , push and arrogant! I can't stand it anymore, and it's not only the parents who are rude and arrogant it's the spoiled rotten kids as well. It's not enough that the kids have a playstation, they need the x-box too. Oh and don't forget even though they got the gameboy for christmas or their birthday only a year ago, mommy and daddy have to run out and buy them the nitendo DS too. and what do you mean your child only does one activity, my "Billy" does tae kwon do, soccer, hockey ,baseball, football, and 3 summer camps. Mabe if the parents up North all SLOWED DOWN and actually spent as much time with there kids , as they spent money trying to buy there love they would'nt be so spoiled and arrogant as there parents who scream and yell at the store employees because They sold the last playstation 3 and ther "Johnny " HAS TO HAVE IT NOW! It's like others have said, the Southerners are rude and slight those who move from the North for change, and then complain when they don't like it and want to change the south. New Jersey has already changed for the worse and has catered to too many arrogant and rude people to be a "Politically Corupt, I mean Politically Correct stomping ground" No need to damage any other states! The bottom line is, don't move to another state to change IT for the better. Move to another state to change YOU for the better. And if anyones too arrogant and feels there so perfect they don't need to change for the better, then stay where you are and please don't go South!

Old 04-24-2007, 08:40 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,908,907 times
its because "Some" Northerners think they are Human Doings and Not Human Beings. They think that they have to brag about what they have, what their children did, how much money they make and what position they have. They also tend to think if anyone else isnt doing exactly what they are doing, they do not have time for them and they think they are better than the other person.

They even brag about how much money they spend on a studio apartment, a room yall, they will spend almost a million dollars and think that make real common sense. they lack alot of common sense and alot of common knowledge as well. They get all the degrees but have a conversation and they dont know much about the country they live in and so they act Smarmy, to cover for the lack of knowledge.

i dont hate them and in fact have quite a lot of yankee friends but i pity alot of them and think its funny and sad that they live such lives of desperation

Old 04-25-2007, 05:25 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,477,547 times
Quote:
I posted relatively recently about how many of the people we met in our short time in Myrtle Beach weren't all that nice. I wouldn't go so far as to say they were downright mean, but it was far from the fabled "southern hospitality" everyone likes to give lip service to.
Fixed that for you. From the looks of that earlier post you refer to, you really only went to Myrtle Beach. That's like making a broad categorization about Nevada, because you went to Vegas one time. I went to Philly not too long ago, so I guess the entire state of Pennsylvania is one big city.. right?

Old 04-25-2007, 08:14 AM

1,174 posts, read 2,533,868 times
My husband and I went to NYC for 5 days. As soon as we came out of airport, we were nabbed by taxi driver to go into Manhattan. Course, as soon as we made that "hasty decision," realized we had been had. Paid double what we should have. Still, had great trip, and loved NYC. Didn't judge the whole of New York state by that crook though!

Old 04-25-2007, 08:29 AM

9 posts, read 27,255 times
I'm a born and bread southern girl who married a yankee man... and even though there are a few jokes about northerners... like, the only good yankee is one headed north... or teach a yankee to drive and point his car north... but they are just jokes (my in-laws call me a 'hick' and a 'hill billy' and make jokes about my family twig...) - my husband loves the south - we have lived in NC, GA, and now SC. I have not met anyone who is really anti-northerners... but if you do meet someone like that, they probably are anti- a lot of things, ya know?

Old 04-25-2007, 10:04 AM
MHW

30 posts, read 99,528 times
Quote:
I posted relatively recently about how many of the people we met in our short time in SC weren't all that nice. I wouldn't go so far as to say they were downright mean, but it was far from the fabled "southern hospitality" everyone likes to give lip service to.

I hold no animosity towards any southerner, the South in general, or even those people whom I considered to be less-than-friendly. I simply chalked it up to everyone having their own biases and prejudices, and I accepted it.

I had no preconceived notions of how things should be, I did not feel that locals should change their ways to fit into some mold of the life I was used to, nor did I have a chip on my shoulder with a bad attitude.

Yet, in this thread, by the very people whom are apparently chastising people such as myself because we've had a somewhat bad experience, we're called arrogant, mean, rude, and insulting. We're stereotyped as pushy jerks by the very people who are complaining about southerners being stereotyped as being slow.

This thread is overflowing with blatant hypocrisy.

Before you go judging me for one comment I posted, perhaps you should step back in look in the mirror. I'm a bad guy for saying people in the south were kind of mean, and I thought I phrased my post so as not to offend anyone, but it's ok for all of you to call me arrogant and rude.

Perhaps there have been some posts by others that fit the description you've provided. However, I don't feel that I do, and as much as Southerner's don't like to be stereotyped and dsicriminated against, neither do I, so please don't paint me with your broad brush.

I wonder if you are somehow accidentally giving off the impression that you are looking down on people or whatever? There are some unspoken rules in the south that a lot of northerners unknowingly break. For example, when your waitress walks up to your table, you are expected to smile at her, say hello, ask how she is, etc., not just give her your order. You will be judged not only by her, but by your lunch companions based on this, and will be judged as rude if you don't observe those niceties.

Same with your neighbors. You have to smile, wave, etc. when you are driving down the street, and if you have time, slow down, roll down the window, and ask how they are. If you are going out to get your mail & a neighbor is outside, you are expected to go over and have a conversation.

Finishing people's sentences because they talk more slowly than you is another big no-no that a lot of northerners commit. It says "I know what you are saying and you are wasting my time - I don't need to stop and listen". I know I have run into some people who talk painfully slow, and you just have to shut your mouth and wait for them to finish and look interested no matter how long it takes them to spit it out, difficult as it can be!

Talking about your or your family's money or possessions (or lack thereof) is REALLY taboo. Don't go there - ever.

Of course, you are right. There are mean people in all parts of the country, and you may have run into more than your share. I am sorry for that, and hate that you haven't felt welcome.

Old 04-25-2007, 01:57 PM

617 posts, read 2,572,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
You really have to be careful when generalizing "small towns" in SC.

I wasn't planning to post in this thread, hoping it would eventually fade away, but now that I have responded, it should be stated that the fear of Northerners moving to the South is based on a tiny minority of bad experiences, most of which likely could have been avoided or were related to very rural areas where old Southern tradition is a way of life.
You're right, I need to be more careful. I was referring to the rural areas you mentioned, not to all "small" towns.

Old 04-25-2007, 02:43 PM

559 posts, read 2,116,232 times
Smile Excellent, excellent post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHW View Post
I wonder if you are somehow accidentally giving off the impression that you are looking down on people or whatever? There are some unspoken rules in the south that a lot of northerners unknowingly break. For example, when your waitress walks up to your table, you are expected to smile at her, say hello, ask how she is, etc., not just give her your order. You will be judged not only by her, but by your lunch companions based on this, and will be judged as rude if you don't observe those niceties.

Same with your neighbors. You have to smile, wave, etc. when you are driving down the street, and if you have time, slow down, roll down the window, and ask how they are. If you are going out to get your mail & a neighbor is outside, you are expected to go over and have a conversation.

Finishing people's sentences because they talk more slowly than you is another big no-no that a lot of northerners commit. It says "I know what you are saying and you are wasting my time - I don't need to stop and listen". I know I have run into some people who talk painfully slow, and you just have to shut your mouth and wait for them to finish and look interested no matter how long it takes them to spit it out, difficult as it can be!

Talking about your or your family's money or possessions (or lack thereof) is REALLY taboo. Don't go there - ever.

Of course, you are right. There are mean people in all parts of the country, and you may have run into more than your share. I am sorry for that, and hate that you haven't felt welcome.
Well said! I think it was wonderful of you to explain things, and you did a PERFECT job of it. Bravo!

I am sending this to my husband, who is from the Seattle area of WA state. It may help him with a few misconceptions he has about the South.

Thank you again. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina