Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 07:53 PM

174 posts, read 196,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
I can appreciate the points you made but some people on here want to separate the south as if it's another country and they don't want anyone to come in. I would like to defend the north (at least where I'm from) in saying that when people move there from anywhere else, they are welcome.

There's a saying....united we stand divided we fall.
The South isn't another country but it is very different than other parts of the US and anyone who doesn't think so is kidding himself. US citizens are free to live in any state, no one is trying to stop them, but the Southerners do not always welcome outsiders. That is reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2007, 10:13 PM

244 posts, read 1,050,728 times
Quote:
...but the Southerners do not always welcome outsiders. That is reality.

So in a way, they may be creating the situation that they are complaining about.
By rejecting those that are trying to fit in, and not "accepting" them, this can give the message that since they will never be "southern" than they might as well bring their culture and life with them.

Old 06-04-2007, 10:19 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,566,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBreakdance View Post
The South isn't another country but it is very different than other parts of the US and anyone who doesn't think so is kidding himself. US citizens are free to live in any state, no one is trying to stop them, but the Southerners do not always welcome outsiders. That is reality.
Johnny, I think you're referring mostly to rural Southerners. I've rarely heard anyone around here complain about newcomers.

Old 06-05-2007, 06:03 AM

15 posts, read 45,136 times
I' been following this post and I have a question.
I'm from England and I thought Americans were just proud to be Americans, but maybe I'm wrong.
To us your all the same YANKS.
No offence I love you all, even if you are from the North. LOL.

Old 06-05-2007, 07:00 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,477,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markie1972 View Post
I' been following this post and I have a question.
I'm from England and I thought Americans were just proud to be Americans, but maybe I'm wrong.
To us your all the same YANKS.
No offence I love you all, even if you are from the North. LOL.
I think it's comparable to England and Scotland. Scotland (like the south) has its own accent, culture and what not, but is still a part of the UK. The two might have internal differences and disagreements, but they are still the same country.

People like to vent their frustrations (i.e. "Don't Jersey South Carolina"), but you shouldn't take things too seriously on an internet message board. Unless you're like a living, breathing Yankee stereotype, then things should be fine.

Old 06-05-2007, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
I think it's comparable to England and Scotland. Scotland (like the south) has its own accent, culture and what not, but is still a part of the UK. The two might have internal differences and disagreements, but they are still the same country.
It is no coincidence that the South was settled primarily by Scots and Irish and that the north was settled primarily by the British.

Old 06-05-2007, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer16 View Post
So in a way, they may be creating the situation that they are complaining about.
By rejecting those that are trying to fit in, and not "accepting" them, this can give the message that since they will never be "southern" than they might as well bring their culture and life with them.
You are describing a "chicken or egg?" scenario but there is an alternative. If the South becomes inhospitable (and more expensive) then the transplants may leave. Most transplants don't have any real ties to the South anyway.

Old 06-05-2007, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
Johnny, I think you're referring mostly to rural Southerners. I've rarely heard anyone around here complain about newcomers.
waccamatt,

I grew up in Charlotte, spent my undergrad years in the Triangle, lived in Atlanta for awhile. These are hardly rural areas and yet I hear complaints all the time.

You may not have heard many complaints because Columbia hasn't been overrun by the same growth.

Last edited by JohnnyBreakdance; 06-05-2007 at 07:55 AM..

Old 06-05-2007, 08:57 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,477,547 times
Quote:
It is no coincidence that the South was settled primarily by Scots and Irish and that the north was settled primarily by the British.
I don't follow you - England, Scotland, and Northern Ireland (Scots-Irish) are all British. The north and south were both settled by the British. Charleston, Wilmington, Savannah, and Williamsburg were all British cities, just like Boston, Philadelphia or Baltmore.

I think that the big difference is that the north also had Italians, Irish Catholics, Dutch, Germans, Poles, etc. - the list could go on. The south was just protestant British, protestant French, and African.

Old 06-05-2007, 09:25 AM

15 posts, read 45,136 times
Quote:
Scotland and Ireland are British, don't you mean English.
If that is the case then we can end this post now because that explains it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina