Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 12:22 PM

3 posts, read 14,961 times

Advertisements

Me,my fiance,and our 2yr old just recently moved back to florida from oklahoma. BIG MISTAKE! the economy has hit florida so badly that neither of us can find work. Not even at the fast food places! Its horrible. I know oklahomas economy is great but we absolutely don't like that state! Not fans of tornados! We are considering a move to NC or SC but dont know much about either. I'd like some advice on which areas of either state are best to raise a family. Good schools,good healthcare,low crime rate,etc.My fiance works in the construction and automotive fields so we would need a place that has good job opportunities in those areas. I am a stay at home mom right now so he would be the only one working. We aren't looking to buy a home right now,just to rent.So where would be the most affordable,safest place in your opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 07:12 AM

194 posts, read 748,634 times
SC also has high unemployment so finding work prior to your move is a good idea. You might want to take a look around Greenville or Columbia.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:50 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,547,902 times
The state of SC unemployment was recently reported at 11.5%. South Carolina has a state population of a little over 4 million so that means that based in these numbers there are over 400,000 people unemployed here. That is a big number for a state with such a small population. I would definitely think twice about moving here at the present time. This is a beautiful state but until people become serious about diversifying the industries that are here the decent paying employment opportunities are limited.

Good luck.

Old 09-24-2009, 03:42 PM
jac

389 posts, read 1,006,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
The state of SC unemployment was recently reported at 11.5%. South Carolina has a state population of a little over 4 million so that means that based in these numbers there are over 400,000 people unemployed here. That is a big number for a state with such a small population. I would definitely think twice about moving here at the present time. This is a beautiful state but until people become serious about diversifying the industries that are here the decent paying employment opportunities are limited.

Good luck.
I think your numbers a little bit off. There are over 4 million people residing in South Carolina. However, a number of those are under the age of 18 (23.8%) or over age 65 (13.3%). There are also a number of people of working age who would not be involved in these statistics (full-time students and stay-at-home parents come to mind). That being said, South Carolina has a slightly higher unemployment rate than Florida.

I think a better way to look at the unemployment figures is imagine yourself at a gathering of working adults. (In SC) For every 100 people you talk to, between 11 and 12 will be out of work. For the OP's consideration, if they went to the same party in Florida or North Carolina, between 10 and 11 people will be out of work out of every hundred. For Oklahoma, the number would be between 6 and 7.

My advice would be to proceed with caution. Find the jobs before you move.

Old 09-24-2009, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jac View Post
I think your numbers a little bit off. There are over 4 million people residing in South Carolina. However, a number of those are under the age of 18 (23.8%) or over age 65 (13.3%). There are also a number of people of working age who would not be involved in these statistics (full-time students and stay-at-home parents come to mind). That being said, South Carolina has a slightly higher unemployment rate than Florida.

I think a better way to look at the unemployment figures is imagine yourself at a gathering of working adults. (In SC) For every 100 people you talk to, between 11 and 12 will be out of work. For the OP's consideration, if they went to the same party in Florida or North Carolina, between 10 and 11 people will be out of work out of every hundred. For Oklahoma, the number would be between 6 and 7.

My advice would be to proceed with caution. Find the jobs before you move.
You make some good points but in my opinion that is still a lot of people out of work. As you said people should proceed with caution before moving to SC.

Old 09-24-2009, 05:24 PM

12,905 posts, read 18,756,320 times
1,754,126 unemployed people are a lot, period. I wouldn't move anywhere I didn't have a job, at least not until five years from now with my state retirement, my rolled over 401-K and the profit from the sale of my house.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:43 PM

1,859 posts, read 5,027,186 times
Quote:

Good luck.
C'mon man, 4.5 million people live in the state, but typically in any state only about 1/2 the population are seeking full-time work at any time; besides the under 18 population, there is a signifcant retirement population due to retirement hot spots along the coast, and you have to take into account even in the 18-65 age group that a lot of 18-22 year olds are in college (not working), stay at home moms, etc. If I remember right there is about 2 - 2.1 million 'workers' right now meaning there are about 225k or so people unemployed right now. Also, keep in mind, that while SC's rate is a bit higher, they have gained about 1 million new people in the past 2 decades (population was under 3.5 million in 1990), so that means there has been a need to create hundreds of thousands of new jobs just to keep up w/the population growth that states like Ohio, Michigan, etc. haven't had to since their populations have been stagnant for decades. And, one other fact that gets overlooked is that the rural areas in the state skew that number when you have some counties like Marlboro and Allendale w/unemployment rates over 20%. The 3 major metros aren't that far off of what the national rate is, I think Columbia for example is right around 10% and Lexington Co. last month was 8.8% - actually less than the national rate of 9.7%.

That said, the job picture isn't great here right now like everywhere else, definitely locate work before just moving here, but it's not like the economy is in a free-fall either.

As to the OP's question, as a transplant to SC, I would say your best bet for cities to raise a family in is to stick to the larger areas like Columbia, Greenville, Charleston or Rock Hill as you will have a better likelihood of landing some sort of work and won't be viewed as such an 'outsider' like you would in some of the smaller good old boy mentality towns.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:46 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,469,688 times
Quote:
You make some good points but in my opinion that is still a lot of people out of work. As you said people should proceed with caution before moving to SC.
No, people should proceed with caution before moving ANYWHERE. Any move has its inherent risks. There is nothing unique about South Carolina in that regard.

Besides, the original poster was asking for advice about the best SC town in which to raise a family, not the same tired response from you about how awful you believe SC's economy is.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:04 PM

As you said Buckeye 1 million people were added to the SC population in the last 20 years. So why on earth has it taken 20 years to create more jobs and for people to admit that diversity and a move away from manufacturing are needed? It is very easy for those who are still working to try and portray others troubles as no big deal. But when the shoe is on the other foot it does not feel good.

Agree with me or not I know what I have seen in SC and I do not take any pleasure in the problems that exist there. Especially considering that I was warned by many not to take a chance moving to SC in the first place.

Last edited by NewYorkBorn; 09-24-2009 at 08:31 PM..

Old 09-24-2009, 09:25 PM

187 posts, read 980,465 times
NewYorkBorn,

It is what it is. Your posts are tiring and they rehash the same crap each time the subject of SC's economy pops up. Increased diversity in the state's economy is not going to suddenly occur. The people and the government of this state need to want diversity and progression before any large companies will be attracted to SC. The quality of the employees (reliability, education, etc.) needs to improve before wages will rise. The mentality here is different from other states. IT WILL NOT CHANGE OVERNIGHT, OR IN FIVE YEARS. If you cannot deal with this--and I hate to sound like a native southerner (which I am not) complaining of the "d*** Yankees"--move back to NY or to another state where you can find what you want/need.

The people that find a necessary niche to fill do just fine in this state. The ones with common or only adequate skills that force them to compete with thousands of other individuals for a single position are the ones struggling to find a solid job.

To the original poster:

Construction in SC, like Florida, has been hit hard. Unless skills exist to work in a different field, it will be difficult to find employment right now regardless of where you search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina