Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2014, 12:50 PM

116 posts, read 195,924 times

Advertisements

Hi. I currently live in Buffalo, NY with my husband and three young girls. We'd like to move some place safe within a suburb with lots of outdoor activities to do, kinda in between city and country feel. Hopefully there is a beach within an hours drive. My husband is an over the road truck driver so finding a job is not an issue. Our budget for a house is around $100k preferrably for 3-4 bedrooms. What is the cost of living like in SC? I am particularly curious about some info about Rock Hill too. What is the climate like in SC? Are there any major natural disasters that we need to worry about? Also, does SC tax income wages? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 12:15 PM

1,521 posts, read 1,946,199 times
Hi PCSN and Welcome to SC!

Based off of your needs and wants as well as being from Buffalo, I would definitely check out the NE Columbia area. It is a very safe and affordable area about 20 minutes from city center Columbia where you have the Zoo, EdVenture Childrens Museum, State Museum, a great Downtown, and river walks. You are also no more than about an hour and a half from Charleston, two hours from Myrtle Beach (if that) plus not too far from the mountains either. Columbia is a little bit smaller than Buffalo, but still has a city feel like you would get there (without the cold of course).

If you are looking for a small city I would suggest Florence. It has a population of about 37k, but is an hour from Myrtle Beach (between Columbia and Myrtle Beach). It is also very affordable and a great sense of small town community feel to it as well, but because it is along i-95, has a few of the amenities that you would find in a bigger city like a mall, shopping area, etc. It does not have as many outdoor activities as Columbia, but they do have a few trails and state parks within close proximity.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

Old 01-13-2014, 12:30 PM

800 posts, read 1,463,430 times
You might also check out either the Greer/Taylors or Easley areas near Greenville. You should be able to find a 3-4 bedroom home with a yard meeting your criteria in a good school district in either of those areas. The city of Greenville itself also has a lot to offer; very nice family-friendly downtown area, zoo (smaller than Columbia's zoo but still pretty nice), parks, plus lots of outdoor activities with the foothills so closeby. Excellent shopping and dining in the area, too. Only downside is that you're 3.5 hours or so from any of the popular beaches...but even at that, you can make it a quick weekend getaway to Charleston or Myrtle Beach.

Old 02-06-2014, 07:09 AM

12 posts, read 18,635 times
Aiken!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina