Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2009, 08:38 AM

5 posts, read 21,423 times

Advertisements

Ok. This is what I want. I want to move, but I kinda want to stay on or close to the East Coast because all my family (even though scattered) is all on the East Coast. I want to live in a little town like the one I live in now, but I want to be able to be close-ish in distance drive to other towns and cities that have places to go, Like night clubs, concerts and malls. I have a son, and might move with a friend but probably will be stuck coming alone with my son. I do not mind, but I will need cheaper rent. I pay 525 now. I cannot afford to buy a home, nor am I ready for that commitment. So my problem is, I have no clue where to find a place like this or where to begin to search for one. I was told South Carolina is cheaper..so I googled places in South Carolina but really can't come to a conclusion. I thought about Tennessee or Florida but I just do not know how to narrow my search down and find a place. Next year I plan on traveling to my chosen city to get a good look at where I might live. and maybe look for a job too and get some Resumes out. I do not want to waste my time traveling to a place that is not worth it either. I cannot afford more than one trip down. Ya know?

Also I guess finding a job is important. I have some experience in Assisted Living and I have been a secretary at a roofing company for 4 years. I need to maintain approx the same income level, and def can handle a lil more bc I struggle constantly. Right now I work two jobs.

Can anyone help me find a nice place to go that is going to be about the same as my current city? My city is getting busier and there is SOO much traffic its ridiculous and I just wanna venture out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 08:51 AM

4 posts, read 10,326 times
First of all, where do you live now? We are moving down south also, from ma. and been looking on line for housing, we are looking for a house to rent, and we've found some very reasonable priced ones. I think North Carolina is cheaper to live than South Carolina, by looking at the houses for rent. But there are tons of apartments available too. But first of all, I would line up a job down there before I make the big move. Luckily, my husband and I are retired so we don't need jobs, but you will, so be sure to check it out, unless there is someone in the area you can stay with until you find something. Be aware tho, that the economy is bad right now so jobs may be scarce. If you want to look for a place to live by each city, you can go to: Rentals - Rental Properties, Apartment and Home Rentals - RentedSpaces and it will show you a alphabetical list for each city and town in the state you enter at the top. They will show you houses and apartments that are for rent. Hope this helps! Good Luck!

Old 10-14-2009, 09:02 AM

Right now I live near Gettysburg, PA. Which is not a bad area I suppose. But I just want something different. I used to know someone in the Outer Banks area of NC but No one in SC. I know that I will need a job, because i do not have enough funds to survive off of w/out one! I just do not know what to do and do not want to be stuck here all my life because I can't save enough money! I guess maybe I should try Tennessee bc of jobs?? Idk I am so tired of living here. Every year I say I want to move but I end up signing another lease in PA. Grr.

Old 10-14-2009, 12:45 PM

3,533 posts, read 12,306,149 times
we moved to SC from upstate ny and it IMHO mde a smart move because now we do not have to deal with the exstreme cold nor the the footage of snow. we picked sc over say florida because it's much safer as far as hurricanes and tornados go. so that is one thing to keep in mind when you decide. we are in the pee dee region which is north eastern SC west of I95. most everything down here is much much cheaper than up north. NC has a higher tax rate than SC does. found that out because we are a boarder town and do some of our shopping up there. but where ever you decide to move to do your research because i read about so many people that move to far away states and have alot of regret. as far as jobs go, they are hard to find no matter where you are. i know this first hand spending 15 years in one trade and having to switch to something totally different. life is alot slower pace down here and the people are so friendly that's the best thing we liked about it down here. i researched this area for close to a year before we moved. if you need any other info i would be gald to help you out and there are many others that would be helpfull. i noticed from ur profile that u are a care giver. if u want to work in the medical field there are tons of employment for that kind of work down here. just something to keep in mind. oh yeah, here's a couple of websites for employment down here. one for NC & SC . HOPE THIS HELPS. https://www.scjoblink.org/ada/ https://www.ncesc.com/default.aspx

Last edited by JFRRACING; 10-14-2009 at 01:17 PM..

Old 10-21-2009, 07:50 AM

Thank you very much. I have not decided where I am going but I am also considering Franklin Tennessee now. I am just confused!

Old 10-21-2009, 03:19 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Many areas of the country have a lower cost of living than the northeast. This also leads to a lower income. So it may be a wash if relocate. And I can't imagine finding any place for rent less than $525 a month! What do you get in that $525? How many bedrooms? Utilities?

People always say the grass is greener on the other side. So many northerners move South looking for a rainbow and pot of gold. Many never find it and return home. Then they complain about how terrible the south is. Meanwhile, they never visited or did any real research except playing with Google.

You have to PHYSICALLY visit a place if you are thinking about living there. Sure the town website is gorgeous! Of course it is! No one in their right mind is going to put pics of the crack houses and hookers on the town website. Ever book a hotel using their website and then you arrive at the hotel and wonder where the hotel from the website is? You guessed it. Those pics are a good 20+ years old.

Everywhere right now jobs are tough to come by. If you have one, STAY PUT until the economy improves and there's jobs again.

This is coming from someone who had her heart set on moving to NC. I visited family for a few weeks a year for the last 3 years. I never found a town both my hubby and I could agree on. We're not looking for the exact same thing. The housing market tanked here last year....just months before we were going to move. Honestly, I don't regret not moving.

This year we visited some family in SC and I LOVE the town they all live in. Guess what, hubby does too! We're going back to see them in a few weeks again to check out the town some more. And maybe next year we'll move. We'll see how the economy is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina