Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2009, 08:26 AM

50 posts, read 270,818 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are thinking about moving to the states, but we're not sure which state to move to. My first choice would have been NYC only because I lived there before. The problem is though we haven't been hearing positive feedback about NYC. I've heard that the middle schools are unsafe and the quality is poor. NYC is, apparently, the most expensive city in the US plus housing is a hassle with rent being so expensive. I was advised to research Georgia, North and South Carolina.

We're basically looking for a family-oriented state where the schools are good, cost of living is low and the crime is too and where I am able to find a physical therapy job. Plus my son is an avid football player and loves the beach, so we'd like to live in a state where kids play football and where there is a beach nearby. We are also muslims too, so we'd ideally like to live in a muslim community or at least in a community that has a mosque or islamic shops etc. I don't have a clue how to start researching, as there are so many states to choose from and things to consider. We're already used to the hot climate, as we live in the Dominican Republic at the moment, so I'd prefer to stay in the warm climate. What is the climate like in South Carolina, do you have seasonal weather?

I am a UK citizen with a greencard, which allows me to work and live in the states. My son is an American citizen and my Dominican husband needs to apply for a visa. Then there's the unemployment to think about and which states are worse off. So, I just wanted to pick your brains and hear your thoughts about the different neighbourhoods in South Carolina.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 08:49 AM

486 posts, read 997,024 times
I am looking also and have done extensive research and visits to the areas I am interested in.

Good schools, low crime:

Caronlina Forest- Myrtle Beach area
Mt Pleasant and Summerville-Charleston area
Fort Mill and Tega Cay -Raleigh area

Type in on your browser the town and state you are interested in and then detailed profile, example: fort mill sc detailed profile

all kinds of information will come up, you will be amazed. I also find "great schools.net" very helpful.

Good luck!

Old 11-04-2009, 09:33 AM

5,593 posts, read 15,381,952 times
Fort Mill and Tega Cay are not in the Raleigh area. They are just south of Charlotte.

York County, SC, is home to the controversial Holy Islamville.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:42 AM

486 posts, read 997,024 times
Sorry, I ment to say Charlotte. I've looked at so many areas that I got it confused. Thanks correcting me.

Old 11-13-2009, 07:39 PM

16 posts, read 41,608 times
I have lived in SC all my life and traveled extensively, and can't still find anywhere with as great a lifestyle as we have in Mt. Pleasant SC. Great beaches, loads of hospital facilities, great weather for most of the year, and I work at the National Award Winning Wando High School in Mt. Pleasant.
Check out Wandohigh.com. I'm also a local Realtor who knows the area. E-mail me scottfergusonrealtor@gmail.com and I'll give you all the details you need for our area.

Old 11-15-2009, 10:24 AM

1,889 posts, read 5,431,520 times
I second Mount Pleasant/Summerville. They are two totally different towns in Charleston. Mount Pleasant being close to the beach and down town Charleston great schools but higher home prices. a little more "Yuppy" but blue collar is also welcome.

Summerville great schools/football team but farther from beaches and Charleston. A lot more Blue collar and rural. Lower home prices.

Old 02-04-2010, 01:38 PM

16 posts, read 38,707 times
Those are all good areas. To add one more, Columbia- Irmo/Lexington. Chapin if you want to be a bit further from the city center.

Old 02-05-2010, 11:04 AM

1,518 posts, read 6,693,746 times
Don't forget the upstate of the entire Greenville/Spartanburg area.

Old 02-06-2010, 12:19 AM

1,941 posts, read 4,470,486 times
Greenville metro area FTW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina