Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 12:16 AM

18 posts, read 75,732 times

Advertisements

Yes, I must have missed deleted comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 12:53 PM

1 posts, read 742 times
I have lived in Abbeville my whole life, and actually know the individual who refused to serve Ms. Roberts and her company. He is not very well liked in our community. However, I feel that I must defend my hometown. We are a normal southern town, with a few bad apples. However, most of the people in our community are very friendly and welcoming to visitors--as most of our towns revenue is based on tourism. I just opened a business on the town square, and plan to keep my growing family here. We are known for our outstanding athletic program at Abbeville High School (esp. football), we have 3 High Schools all with top notch academics, lovely attractions, fun history (ranging from civil war stories to spooky ghost stories), several bed and breakfast's, tons of neat shops, and some of the oldest churches and monuments in South Carolina. Abbeville is home of the "Burt Stark Mansion" which is the location where the war between the states came to an end. In fact, Confederate President Jefferson Davis held the last council of war of the confederacy here. In closing, If I actually have any readers of this thread, I'd like to ask everyone to not dislike this community and chastise the town-people on account of one ignorant man. I wish Julia Roberts could re-visit and see what a wonderful place this is indeed!
PS. To answer your original question, the house in which the movie was filmed is on Magazine St. In Abbeville. All of the houses in that area (and all over town) are just as cute and quaint!

Old 01-09-2014, 08:28 PM

1 posts, read 564 times
Both of the houses used in the movie (the one that Julia Roberts' character lived in and the one next door that Kevin Anderson's character lived in) are on Magazine St., #404 and #402. The one at 404 was used only for exterior shots. It is actually not a two story house at all. The interior scenes were filmed on a set somewhere. That house has been for sale in the recent past and you might still find some interior pictures of it on a few different websites. The one at 402 is currently being prepared to go on the market and will probably be listed on the Historic Properties website sometime in the spring or summer, in addition to other real estate sites. I agree with everyone who has said that Abbeville is a lovely town full of lovely people. I don't have any direct knowledge of what went on when the crew was in town but I do know that the townspeople are no more fond of them than they were of the townspeople. I also happen to have a co-worker and close friend whose horses were used in the filming of another Julia Roberts movie, Something To Talk About. My friend was very complimentary of all the people who worked in that movie EXCEPT Julia Roberts. She said that Dennis Quaid, Kyra Sedgewick, Robert Duvall, Gina Rowlands and all the rest of the cast and crew were extremely nice to the locals and very gracious in all their interactions. So I don't think all Hollywood film crews are badly behaved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina