Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 01:03 PM

425 posts, read 1,571,343 times

Advertisements

Hi ladies,

I have been here about a week and just went to get my drivers licence and it took a few trips so I wanted to let you all know something nobody told me.

In addition to your current drivers licenceand insurance, proof of residency etc..you will need your social sequrity card, certified birth certificate or passport AND YOUR MARRIAGE LICENCE. I had never heard of such a thing. It was in small print and not one of the things that was mentioned to me when we went the first time.

Also as a point of refferance the personal property tax on a new 07 Honda Odessy is about $540
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2007, 01:25 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,432,819 times
You need you ss card for just about any transaction at the DMV now. They do it now because of terrorists and illegal immigrants. When I moved to NC 6 years ago, all I had to show to get my license was my two bills with my name on it. Now, I could have used anybody's mail to get a license, so they have since changed it. I brought EVERYTHING to the DMV today, bc, ss card, lien info, registration, etc.

And tax on my 2001 Buick Century was $78 since I am in an unicorporated part of Fort Mill. That affects the tax rates tremendously. Also if your vehicle has over 100k on it, your taxes may be lower.

Last edited by groove1; 06-22-2007 at 01:38 PM..

Old 06-22-2007, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
You need you ss card for just about any transaction at the DMV now. They do it now because of terrorists and illegal immigrants. When I moved to NC 6 years ago, all I had to show to get my license was my two bills with my name on it. Now, I could have used anybody's mail to get a license, so they have since changed it. I brought EVERYTHING to the DMV today, bc, ss card, lien info, registration, etc.

And tax on my 2001 Buick Century was $78 since I am in an unicorporated part of Fort Mill. That affects the tax rates tremendously. Also if your vehicle has over 100k on it, your taxes may be lower.
I was expecting the SS card but the fact that it shows my leagal married name and it was not sufficiant and I needed my registered marriage licence is what threw me.

Old 06-22-2007, 03:40 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,198,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixinthefamily View Post
Hi ladies,

I have been here about a week and just went to get my drivers licence and it took a few trips so I wanted to let you all know something nobody told me.

In addition to your current drivers licenceand insurance, proof of residency etc..you will need your social sequrity card, certified birth certificate or passport AND YOUR MARRIAGE LICENCE. I had never heard of such a thing. It was in small print and not one of the things that was mentioned to me when we went the first time.

Also as a point of refferance the personal property tax on a new 07 Honda Odessy is about $540

I hope that will go down in the coming years?

Old 06-23-2007, 05:26 AM

287 posts, read 1,460,640 times
It will, it goes down as your vehicle appreciates.

Old 06-23-2007, 09:37 AM

1,962 posts, read 5,198,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by settlepa View Post
It will, it goes down as your vehicle appreciates.
Don't you mean depreciates?

Old 06-23-2007, 01:38 PM

195 posts, read 231,263 times
Does something from the church count as a marriage license? I do not have a copy of my marriage license, how would I get one?

Old 06-23-2007, 05:43 PM

One from the church only counts if it includes the marriage licence number and where it is registered. To get a copy of your licence you would have to go to, e maill or write the town you got married in. My town has a web site and had a form under some heading such as personal licences will, marriage, death etc.. It would cost $15 and I would have to apply by mail and get it sent to me.

Good luck. I know I was stumped when they asked for it. Seen as most my things are in boxes I was shocked I found it.

Old 06-23-2007, 06:36 PM

287 posts, read 1,460,640 times
Yes, depreciates, sorry...LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
Don't you mean depreciates?

Old 06-23-2007, 09:59 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,546,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixinthefamily View Post
Hi ladies,

I don't have the marriage license either. Matter of fact I am divorced and have been for 20 years, plus my ex-husband died 10 years ago.
I understand you have to have a document that shows your "name" change throughout your lives. I wonder if they'll consider divorce papers as good as the marriage license? I actually can't even remember the date I got married !
I guess I better see if my previous residental state has a www site I can get a copy of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina