Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2010, 09:40 AM

40 posts, read 119,717 times

Advertisements

Did anyone watch the episode of Gangland last week that profiled the "Gangs" of Pine Ridge?
Wow...did our State look bad!
Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 10:46 AM

479 posts, read 1,555,345 times
Ugh, I wish I had. I'll try and keep a look out for it. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 08-04-2010, 01:22 AM

46 posts, read 149,950 times
Being a So. Cal girl I'm always amazed at how many gangs come from such nice states! Just goes to show bad people live everywhere unfortunatley! My brother watches that show religiously, I'll have to have him tivo it for me.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:08 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,924,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizbethsayers View Post
Being a So. Cal girl I'm always amazed at how many gangs come from such nice states! Just goes to show bad people live everywhere unfortunatley! My brother watches that show religiously, I'll have to have him tivo it for me.
Gangs spring from poverty and unemployment. You don't have to live in a concrete jungle to get both. Pine Ridge is a disaster. After 100 years of reservation life there is very little work ethic on this rez. Any attempts to bring jobs to the rez always ends in failure. Young people follow the lead of their elders and get into booze/drugs at an early age, then grow accustomed to just getting by on government checks. These same young people are like youth all over. They've got lots of energy and when they're bored, they will get into trouble.

One of the things everyone does on the rez is watch a lot of TV. Shows are constantly romanticizing gang banging. It's natural that these bored rez kids who often only occasionally attend school and have no job opportunities will want to emulate these inner city gangsters.

The short term answer is many more police. On the Standing Rock reservation they dramatically bumped up the number of police through some short term program. Crime on this reservation instantly plummeted. I heard this was only temporary and the majority of the law abiding residents were worried things would revert downward as soon as the extra law enforcement left.

Another big problem is this sovereign nation crap. Only BIA (Bureau of Indian Affairs) police patrol reservation land. Bring in the highway patrol and more federal agents to help the undermanned BIA officers and give everyone full power to arrest.

You've got to nip this gangster thing now before it gets even worse.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:41 PM

19,723 posts, read 10,495,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyleroux View Post
Ugh, I wish I had. I'll try and keep a look out for it. Thanks for the heads up.
Try you tube. I think I was in a discussion, on another forum, a few months ago.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:26 AM

955 posts, read 3,648,230 times
I think the only thing that show accomplished was making the people of SD look absolutely rediculous. What a Joke! I think anyone living in a big city who watched that are probably laughing their behinds off (and they are not the only ones). Very very sad.

Old 08-05-2010, 04:53 PM

205 posts, read 729,307 times
This is a thoughtful response to some of the information being published about Pine Ridge:
More To Pine Ridge Than Gangs | Reznet News (http://www.reznetnews.org/images/renaud/more-pine-ridge-gangs - broken link)

Old 09-16-2010, 11:18 PM

34 posts, read 63,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairierose View Post
This is a thoughtful response to some of the information being published about Pine Ridge:
More To Pine Ridge Than Gangs | Reznet News (http://www.reznetnews.org/images/renaud/more-pine-ridge-gangs - broken link)
A well written article showing the in site from a person who had spent some time on the Res. And quite possible this particular reservation.

Covering the issues of gangs is the topic of the program, and showing the "positive" side of the issues is not their concern. When they do a show about gangs in LA, they never talk about the latest film products, what store has opened on Lenix Ave.... they only concentrate on what the program is about ~ GANGS!

Old 09-17-2010, 12:56 PM

40 posts, read 119,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITWorkerBee View Post
A well written article showing the in site from a person who had spent some time on the Res. And quite possible this particular reservation.

Covering the issues of gangs is the topic of the program, and showing the "positive" side of the issues is not their concern. When they do a show about gangs in LA, they never talk about the latest film products, what store has opened on Lenix Ave.... they only concentrate on what the program is about ~ GANGS!

I guess that's why they decided to call it Gangland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota