Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2016, 09:27 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,187,017 times

Advertisements

Considering a move to the Jerauld county, SD. Anyone here hunt deer in the area? I eat a LOT of venison....am I pretty much assured of having the opportunity to shoot deer every year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2016, 10:09 AM

125 posts, read 184,307 times
Where are you considering moving from? Archery or firearms? The deer population in SD is not as robust as in many eastern states and there are more hunters per capita. So it can be harder to get tags here. I moved here from KY where you could shoot 4 deer/year with an OTC tag. 1 buck and 3 does.

Here everything is via the lottery for firearms. You can get archery tags over the counter. In general the major zones are Black Hills, West River, and East River. So you could get three OTC archery tags every years.

Firearms- you can usually pull a BH tag every 2-3 years. West river I can get a whitetail tag every year but Mule Deer tags are harder to pull and require a couple years of prefeence points. I'm not as familiar with East River but it's probably pretty similar.

Muzzleloader, you can get a doe tag OTC every year but the zones fluctuate. A statewide buck tag is every 3 years with preference points.

So basically, if you're hunting archery, you should be able to get at least three tags a year but you'll have to hunt the whole state. Firearms, you should be able to get at least one tag every year, especially if you stagger your preference points.

You can also buy an antelope archery tag OTC every year. Firearm drwas are every 2-3 years depending on the unit.

The deer hunting here is good and there lots of public land but it's definitely not as good as Kentucky, Illinois, Missouri, Iowa, etc.

Old 10-31-2016, 10:10 AM

Oh yeah, check the website for South Dakota Dept of Fish and Game. They have reports that show your chance of drawing and average hunter success for all the different zones/units.

Old 10-31-2016, 08:30 PM

Thanks guys. I'm in southern Nebraska. I shot 9 deer last year and my teenage daughter got 2. I took 5 with the bow, a couple muzzleloader, and a couple rifle. She took her deer with rifle. We filled our freezers with deer. I typically take 1 buck and antlerless after that for meat. I'm blessed with being able to hunt within 2 miles of our house. I'm just not used to driving hours to hunt. The idea of "deer camp" is foreign to me because any deer I shoot, I take home and either butcher it or hang it in my freezer. And yes.....we really do eat all that we shoot.

Nice to know it's doable...I'm ok with losing some firearm opportunity...I just am hoping to be able to get 2-3 a year. I know South Dakota kicks everyone's butts when it comes to pheasants, so I'm planning on enjoying that if I make the move.

I know you guys also have some elk.....if I ever got a chance at that I'd be loving it.

How common are antelope? I'd most likely be in East River....my traveling for hunting is limited....I'm a poor pastor that doesn't have a big budget. Only reason I hunt this much is because processing it myself, rather than paying for it to be butchered.

Old 11-01-2016, 08:28 AM

I'd live of venison instead of store bought meat if I could too. Sadly, it's just not possible for me right now. It sounds like you were pretty fortunate to have access to some great opportunities in NE.

It won't be quite as good here, but you could probably realistically count on 3 deer a year. One archery, one east river firearms, and one muzzleloader. You could add to that with west river firearms and there are also separate tags for hunts on some of the NWR around the state.

Antelope are fairly common in west River, there are basically none East River. The highest densities are in the NW and SW corner of the state.

Elk tag takes years to draw unfortunately. I think a bull average at least 10 years of preference point and cows usually take a few years at least. And I believe if you draw you're not eligible for a tag for another 10 years. I just moved here three years ago so I'm still building up preference points.

If you're East River you'll be right in the heart of the best pheasant and waterfowl hunting int he state though.

Old 11-01-2016, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chops00 View Post
I'd live of venison instead of store bought meat if I could too. Sadly, it's just not possible for me right now. It sounds like you were pretty fortunate to have access to some great opportunities in NE.

It won't be quite as good here, but you could probably realistically count on 3 deer a year. One archery, one east river firearms, and one muzzleloader. You could add to that with west river firearms and there are also separate tags for hunts on some of the NWR around the state.

Antelope are fairly common in west River, there are basically none East River. The highest densities are in the NW and SW corner of the state.

Elk tag takes years to draw unfortunately. I think a bull average at least 10 years of preference point and cows usually take a few years at least. And I believe if you draw you're not eligible for a tag for another 10 years. I just moved here three years ago so I'm still building up preference points.

If you're East River you'll be right in the heart of the best pheasant and waterfowl hunting int he state though.
Thanks for the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota