Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 05:32 PM

6 posts, read 16,764 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of relocating to Custer, SD next year from New Hampshire... I would like to know about gardening possibilities in the area ...I have always kept large herb & perennial gardens & would like to know about water & soil in regards to gardening...I assume most folks have their own drilled wells ... any gardeners willing to share their thoughts would be welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 05:54 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,069,971 times
I used to live in Custer. Nobody around me had wells. A lot of the houses on the outskirts did though.

My aunt still lives there. Actually just North of Custer and she has a big garden every year. The soil is great. But something you might want to do is take a quart jar sample into one of the greenhouses in Rapid City. They'll analyze it and tell you what fertilizer or nitrates to add to make it perfect.

Old 06-04-2008, 04:06 AM

Thanks for the info... good idea to take soil samples to be analyzed ... we hope to be on the outskirts of town also ... room for dogs & chickens, etc.... maybe llamas.

Old 06-04-2008, 07:29 AM

393 posts, read 1,069,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastern lady View Post
Thanks for the info... good idea to take soil samples to be analyzed ... we hope to be on the outskirts of town also ... room for dogs & chickens, etc.... maybe llamas.
Good for you! Custer is my absolute favorite town in America! I wish you all the best there!

Old 06-04-2008, 09:41 AM

189 posts, read 564,628 times
organic compost is best fertilizer. in fact i worked at a big nursery in florida....grower,retailer,wholesaler,buyer. great job! we threw a lot of dead or dying plants in ditches, and some seeds ,sprouts came up and really grew better there than some of potted plants. there are plenty of books,mags and internet info and person to person info on this. as for llamas, a place on colorado drive by christensen dr, here in spearfish has llamas. i think the 2 ive seen lately are diff from the 2 i saw sometime ago.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:44 AM

Thank you for your good wishes.... much appreciated!

I agree that organic compost is best ... the chickens will contribute to that!

Last edited by Jammie; 06-04-2008 at 12:18 PM.. Reason: merged

Old 06-05-2008, 09:52 AM

be sure to check local laws about keeping animals (any creatures). laws vary.

Old 06-05-2008, 12:32 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,069,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastern lady View Post
Thank you for your good wishes.... much appreciated!

I agree that organic compost is best ... the chickens will contribute to that!
I would still go with a soil sample and tell the nursery you're going to use organic.

How would you know that the soil has already got the nitrates needed and by adding chicken manure compost is only going to ruin, what was a perfectly good garden?

Old 06-07-2008, 05:04 AM

good point!

Old 06-07-2008, 09:46 AM

there is plenty of organic stuff besides chicken manure. be sure to watch out for weed (unwanted plants) seeds if you get manure from other sources or grow things of your own. i do not recommend some animal sources. could cause problems(dog for example). im sure youre aware of this. some places in hills have rattlesnakes. and there are deer and rabbits that just love gardens. and there are mtn lions that just love deer and other meat! i do think the hills is a great place to live. come on by and see for yourself!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota