Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2011, 01:05 PM

1,582 posts, read 3,110,038 times

Advertisements

I haven't been to any of these - does anyone have any input? We will be tent camping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 01:23 PM

948 posts, read 2,792,420 times
They are all great. Been to them all. If you don't have a boat I wouldn't recommend Pactola on a weekend unless you enjoy watching/listening to the motorsports peeps (which can be fun) but it can be a bit much at times. I've rented pontoon boats with friends there on many occassions which makes for a fabulous time but it is spendy without a pool of peeps to pay.

In my experience Deerfield has always been the quietest - a bit more off of the beaten path with less traffic and restrictions on boat motor sizes and speeds. Bring warm clothes though - at night it is known for the coldest temps in the state.

Horsethief is nice and there is store which is convenient - also cabins and sites with electricity if you like - it's in the needles and super close to Sylvan lake, and the Harney Peak trail head - lots of tourist traffic though.

Old 06-14-2011, 01:25 PM

1,582 posts, read 3,110,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric#1 View Post
They are all great. Been to them all. If you don't have a boat I wouldn't recommend Pactola on a weekend unless you enjoy watching/listening to the motorsports peeps (which can be fun) but it can be a bit much at times. I've rented pontoon boats with friends there on many occassions which makes for a fabulous time but it is spendy without a pool of peeps to pay.

In my experience Deerfield has always been the quietest - a bit more off of the beaten path with less traffic and restrictions on boat motor sizes and speeds. Bring warm clothes though - at night it is known for the coldest temps in the state.

Horsethief is nice and there is store which is convenient - also cabins and sites with electricity if you like - it's in the needles and super close to Sylvan lake, and the Harney Peak trail head - lots of tourist traffic though.
Hey Eric, what about swimming at Horsetheif? Is there a place my daughter can get in the water and play, and can we fish from shore?

Old 06-15-2011, 09:50 AM

948 posts, read 2,792,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no8fann View Post
Hey Eric, what about swimming at Horsetheif? Is there a place my daughter can get in the water and play, and can we fish from shore?
We may have been referring to different Horse Thiefs - Their is a private campground/resort which is what I was referring to - and there is the Horse Theif lake campground which does have fishing swimming (it's quite small) I never camped there, but when we were younger we used to swim and jump off the rocks into the water. Basic bare-bones campground kind of a touristy spot between Hill City and Keystone.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:27 PM

16 posts, read 50,540 times
I stayed at a Horse Thief campground on Needles Hwy a couple of years ago. It has a pool for the kids. The only thing I didn't like about it was I froze for the 2 nights I spent there which was my fault because I didn't pack much for warmth. The only thing that has kept me from going back is that it rained really hard one night and the campground roads had washed out leaving big ruts in them and I almost went down on my motorcycle when I was leaving to go home. I left early in the morning so they may have did something with them later but it didn't help me any. Other then that I really liked staying there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota