Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 05:04 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times

Advertisements

Where do the people in Hot Springs work? Whenever I've read their paper, they always have ads in there from Chadron, Ne. That's about an hour away. Do most of the people really travel that far to work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2007, 05:47 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,855,288 times
Default Work

I'm retired so I never researched the subject very thoroughly, but Hot Springs does have a regional V A hospital that provides a number of jobs. It is also the county seat, so the jobs that are associated with county government are there. Tourism and ranching related stuff probably round it out locally. Chadron is about a 1/2 hr drive south, while Rapid is about 45 minutes north.
There seems to be a number of retiree's moving into Hot Springs which has given a boost to construction jobs.

Old 03-07-2007, 06:10 AM

384 posts, read 1,668,955 times
Yes, the VA is the major employer and also Black Hills Special Services has a rather large program for people with developmental disabilities. I would then guess the County/City government, schools, there is a small medical clinic, a lovely golf course that won some kind of an award (sorry, I"m not a golfer), then there's tourism: the Mammoth Site, Evans Plunge, Wind Cave, Custer State Park, the Wild Horse Sanctuary (that's a wonderful place to visit) there are many small interesting shops, two Spas (one with the healing waters)., That's all I can remember off the top of my head.

It is a very nice place actually with interesting architecture (red rock)

Pam

Old 03-07-2007, 06:29 PM

Pammy and Harley, thanks for the info. A lot of the Hills area has always just hired people for the tourist season. Wall has people who live in the campers and travel up here for the summertime employment and then head south for the rest of the year. (Smart people) A lot of the areas hire foreign exchange students for the summer, too. Does Hot Springs do it differently and employ their residents year-round? Is Evans Plunge open all year? I'm glad you mentioned the VA hospital cause I forgot about that. As you can tell, the only time we're ever out in the Hills is summertime since I know very little about what people do for winter employment.

Old 03-08-2007, 05:29 AM

384 posts, read 1,668,955 times
Hi Jammie, yes Evans Plunge is open all year around--much less crowded in the winter of course! One time I went there with dd just for a little day trip and someone told me, they let the veterans in daily at a reduced price to swim and exercise. Not sure if it is still true but I think the town is very good to their veterans. There are also some housing programs specifically for Veterans. We also stayed at Sylvan Lake once and someone there showed me some dorms they have built for their summer help which as you say usually consists of students and foreign exchange students as well. As a matter of fact, most attrractions in the Hills close by Labor Day because the students have to go back to school. There was some talk about a year ago about delaying the start of school to extend the tourist season a little longer. Some places do manage to stay open with limited staff.

Catch ya later,

Pam

Old 03-19-2007, 04:34 PM

1 posts, read 4,655 times
I live in Hot Springs SD. Powertech Uranium Corp. based in Vancouver, BC is going to be mining uranium right below the Oglala Aquifer here in the southern Black Hills. The process they use irreparably contaminates the groundwater.

No one seems to care but yet I keep typing.
http://pahasapa.my-place.us/

Old 03-19-2007, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josey View Post
I live in Hot Springs SD. Powertech Uranium Corp. based in Vancouver, BC is going to be mining uranium right below the Oglala Aquifer here in the southern Black Hills. The process they use irreparably contaminates the groundwater.

Oh how awful!!! I remember when they used to mine uranium in Edgemont and they were looking for people to work there. They said a uranium miner could die within seven years of the job. I have no idea whether that's true, but it is supposed to be very dangerous. Thanks for letting us know about that. How sad to ruin such a beautiful area.

Old 03-20-2007, 10:54 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,855,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josey View Post

Has the permit to mine been issued? If not, when are the public hearings?

Old 03-20-2007, 03:47 PM

21 posts, read 85,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleharley View Post
Has the permit to mine been issued? If not, when are the public hearings?
In case nobody has noticed over the last couple of years especially... big business and our various elected , appointed , and hired government officials don't give a rat's rectum what "We the People" want or have to say about anything. They will do as they please anyhow , so why waist time one public hearings or anything else that may hamper their agenda.

Old 03-21-2007, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triqjoh View Post
In case nobody has noticed over the last couple of years especially... big business and our various elected , appointed , and hired government officials don't give a rat's rectum what "We the People" want or have to say about anything. They will do as they please anyhow , so why waist time one public hearings or anything else that may hamper their agenda.
I hear you. I'm sorry to say that those things have been happening all along and we're just finally becoming aware of how little our opinion counts in the eyes of the politicians. Still, it'd be worth it to go and voice your opinion about the mining cause at least you'll feel that you tried to stop it. I just CAN'T believe that they're planning on doing the uranium mining again. They just don't learn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota