Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2009, 01:00 AM
TJF TJF started this thread

5 posts, read 17,620 times

Advertisements

Hi, my husband and I are planning to move out of Minnesota and seriously considering South Dakota. We homeschool right now but our boys will be going to junior high and high school in a few years. Ideally, we'd like to find a private school that has rigorous academics, and a very strong athletics program. The boys (and their Dad!!) are sports nuts -- basketball, soccer, baseball and football especially. We are primarily interested in private prep schools but would consider a public school, especially if it's in a small town with a conservative school board. The rigorous academics is nice to have but I can supplement if necessary to keep them challenged in that area. I can't, however, manufacture a football team to go to the state championships!!

Rapid City is where we are currently looking. Hot Springs looks really interesting but probably too small to find the right school I am guessing? Jobs are not an issue as my husband will work his current job from home. We would like to buy or build a house on 10 acres outside the city wherever we go.

I've searched and I don't see this particular issue being discussed anywhere. Thanks in advance for your feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 08:43 AM
dpf

132 posts, read 316,422 times
In the Black Hills area you might want to consider St. Thomas More in Rapid City. It's a Catholic high school and seems to excel in both academics and sports.

Old 02-01-2009, 08:47 AM

3,941 posts, read 14,720,624 times
Saint Thomas More football has gone to State Championships a lot in recent years. 2005-2008 if I'm not mistaken. They have a vigorous athletic program too. In fact, when I went there we always joked that the athletic department got more money than the academics.

Old 02-01-2009, 05:47 PM
TJF TJF started this thread

5 posts, read 17,620 times
thank you both for your assistance, we will check that one out! Danny you said you went to STM, what was your experience there?

oh wait, I am reading your comments about STM on another thread, so you don't need to re-type them here. Thanks!

Last edited by Jammie; 02-01-2009 at 07:31 PM.. Reason: merged

Old 02-05-2009, 05:38 PM

19 posts, read 99,109 times
Well if u want to have a strong athletic program move to sioux falls and enroll ur son or daughter at Washington Highschool, Turst me

Old 02-05-2009, 05:44 PM

19 posts, read 99,109 times
ur not gonna find very many strong athletic programs west river

Old 02-05-2009, 08:17 PM

106 posts, read 344,424 times
Not really many great Athletic programs at any of the High Schools west river, all the athletics have seemed to have drifted to all the Metro Sioux Falls schools (Lincoln, O'Gorman, Brandon Valley, Roosevelt, West Central).

St. Thomas More would probably be your best choice for a private High School near Rapid City. I don't think you will have a tough time finding a 10 Acre place outside of RC, usually it seems land on the outskirts of RC is pretty good to find. However here in SF land seems to be expensive on all sides.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:28 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,926,895 times
When I was in grade and high school, Lennox played Custer in basketball in the State A Finals in boys basketball. Custer usually had some very impressive teams. I am not sure how Custer is these days, but Custer would be a nice town/area to move to. It has a public high school, but is small and Custer and nearby areas are conservative overall.

I agee with others that St. Thomas More have a strong athletics program. They beat my beloved Orioles a few years back.

Most areas of Western South Dakota are conservative areas with the exception for Spearfish, parts of Rapid City (although Rapid City is conserative as a whole and generally more conservative than Sioux Falls (moderate-conservative area that generally votes split ticket as a whole)) and areas in the Native American reservations.

Old 02-11-2009, 12:18 PM

86 posts, read 270,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SF57103 View Post
ur not gonna find very many strong athletic programs west river
that statement is just silly. Stevens High School in Rapid City averages 4 state championships a year. Last year they won 5 state championships (most in the state) and fired their athletic director because they believed they weren't achieving success in some sports. Because Stevens isn't a powerhouse in basketball and football doesn't mean that they don't have a strong athletic program.

Recent success at Stevens (west river school):

The girls track team has won 13 state championships.....in a row. From the years 2000-2006 the boys track team has won championships in 2001, 2003, 2004, 2005. The track coach, Paul Hendry, is a finalist for the national coach of the year.

The boys cross country team has won state championships every year from the years 1995-2004. The girls have won state championships every year from the years 1991-2000 and then in 2002

The boys wrestling team is competitive every year and won a state championship last year. They even have their own two story wrestling gym, complete with a weights gym and mats.

The boys tennis team has won the state championship 3 years in a row. The girls won the state championships 2 years ago and got second last year.

The volleyball team last year won the state championship with an 8th ranking.

keep in mind that there are other sports than football and basketball.

Last edited by andyroo; 02-11-2009 at 12:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota