Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 06:46 PM

608 posts, read 925,170 times

Advertisements

I wanted to let the regular posters on the South Dakota board know that I appreciate the kindness of the people of South Dakota, and also thank you all for your information on a number of questions I've asked in the past. I've moved from Texas to Rapid City to work in the oilfield, and so far I love it here. Now, I'd like to explore my new home state a little more when I'm off work. (I work a 2 week on, 1 week off schedule) What could I expect to find or do in Huron, Mitchell, or Sioux Falls?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 07:09 PM

479 posts, read 1,558,057 times
I can fill you in on Huron the best, as that is where I'm at. We don't really have any 'touristy' stuff, but I've always believed you make your own fun and find your own adventures. You would find the scenery to be much less than the hills...very flat here. Hunting in the fall, and the State Fair, that has happened already are the biggest things here. As far as Sioux Falls, I am from a small town originally, and could easily spend a week there.

What I wouldn't give for that schedule, and welcome to the state!

Old 11-17-2009, 07:51 PM

19,726 posts, read 10,514,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyleroux View Post
I can fill you in on Huron the best, as that is where I'm at. We don't really have any 'touristy' stuff, but I've always believed you make your own fun and find your own adventures. You would find the scenery to be much less than the hills...very flat here. Hunting in the fall, and the State Fair, that has happened already are the biggest things here. As far as Sioux Falls, I am from a small town originally, and could easily spend a week there.

What I wouldn't give for that schedule, and welcome to the state!
I was in Huron, today & had my camera along. I ran short on time, so I still didn't get to take photos, of the murals, painted on the buildings.

welcome to SD, catfishing!

Old 11-17-2009, 08:14 PM

608 posts, read 925,170 times
Thanks again. In regard to Huron, I'm most interested in the town's prarie history, the James river, and hunting land! (I love phesant huntin!!!)

Old 11-17-2009, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfishing View Post
Thanks again. In regard to Huron, I'm most interested in the town's prarie history, the James river, and hunting land! (I love phesant huntin!!!)
Well there is some history at the Dakotaland Museum, and yeah the James River is here. As far as the hunting goes, it helps to know somebody, because a lot of the land is now pay to play. However, I drove from Vermillion to Huron last weekend and saw not one hunting group, on a beautiful day, so it has probably wound down to the point where people are afraid to come because of the weather. We could probably find you a place to get some birds.

Old 11-18-2009, 07:28 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,486,748 times
Catfishing, that was a really nice thing to say and I'm glad you enjoy living here.

Here's a bit of info for your Mitchell stop~

Facts & information on the Mitchell South Dakota Corn Palace

Mitchell Prehistoric Indian Village

Dakota Discovery Museum - Mitchell, South Dakota

http://mitchellact.org/

If you will be passing this way during the summertime, you may want to check this out~

City of Mitchell

Mitchell is also right along the James River~about a mile west of it, actually. We also have Mitchell Lake, but some summers you may want to fish in it at your own risk. It's definitely not the nicest lake around and that's putting it mildly.

I know there must be more here in town for you to choose from and I just know someone else will add to what I've forgotten.

AND Sioux Falls~I'll let the locals give you suggestions for there. They have a LOT of choices all the way from the zoo to the Washington Pavillion to concerts, etc. The nicest place there is Falls Park. There is also the Sculpture Walk on Phillips Ave. and you can walk the Phillips to the Falls or take a free ride on a shuttle. I have no idea if everything stays up and running or is out during the winter, but here's a link~

http://www.siouxfalls.org/information.aspx

And another~

http://www.sculpturewalksiouxfalls.com/

Sx. Falls is a very nice city and it's extremely progressive. I have a friend who lives in NC and she was listening to the radio on her way to work one morning. They were interviewing the Sx. Falls mayor cause they were looking for tips about how to get their city up and running again and they figured he was the man to go to. It's managed to be mentioned and highlighted in many polls and it's always seen in a good light and near the top of many lists. It was actually rated the No. 1 city in the country a few years ago. It's very vibrant and alive and we're fortunate to have Sx. Falls in our state. Not quite the natural beauty of your area, but I think you'll really like the city.

Old 11-18-2009, 07:49 AM

27,955 posts, read 39,858,132 times
Pierre has some sights too to take in. The State Capitol, the State Cultural Heritage Center, The Casey Tibbs center in Fort Pierre.

If you are up for an adventure on gravel roads the Bad River road is always an interesting drive. There is Oahe dam. I am not positive if they do powerhouse tours any more. If they do that is quite interesting.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjl78 View Post
Pierre has some sights too to take in. The State Capitol, the State Cultural Heritage Center, The Casey Tibbs center in Fort Pierre.

If you are up for an adventure on gravel roads the Bad River road is always an interesting drive. There is Oahe dam. I am not positive if they do powerhouse tours any more. If they do that is quite interesting.
Yeah, Pierre has as much as anyone. The Mickelson monument is something to see, and even though it is really just a brick, that monument outside of Fort Pierre is something you should check out if you are there. I always like to drive over the dam also.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:50 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,486,748 times
Just wanted to add~if you're over this way during the spring/summer, you may want to take in an old-fashioned Drive-in. It had been closed for a few years, but the opened it a while back.

Logan Luxury Theatres: Movies in Mitchell, SD, Huron, SD and Dell Rapids, SD

Old 11-18-2009, 09:56 AM

I never knew that the one in Mitchell was closed. There is also one (drive in) in Redfield and Miller and possibly Mobridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota