Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 09:23 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times

Advertisements

It's more likely that they'll find us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 09:36 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,101,947 times
I would be thrilled to know there was other intelligent life "out there." The discovery would throw theology into a tailspin! How I would love that!

Old 01-22-2012, 09:38 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The aspect of greatest interest would be to watch Earthlings running around trying to figure out how to deal with this.

I would predict that, no matter how "intelligent" the ETs would appear to be, we would still consider ourselves morally superior to them. And immediately start planning the most unimaginably immoral defenses against any potential or supposed effect they could have on our superstitions.
The best defense is a good offense and don't think for a minute that we won't institute the secret world cooperation pact in order to bring the full brunt of our weaponry to bear. Those few that survive will be enslaved as contestants on Wipe-Out for our amusement.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:57 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
The best defense is a good offense.
You will no doubt be chagrined if you discover that the superadvanced ETs agree with you, and start out with a Bushist (and your namesake's) pre-emptive "defense" as the first order of business.

No, the best defense is threat evaluation, which you (and the rest of America) have deprioritized to zero.

Last edited by jtur88; 01-22-2012 at 10:07 AM..

Old 01-22-2012, 11:28 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,201,643 times
Quote:
You will no doubt be chagrined if you discover that the superadvanced ETs agree with you, and start out with a Bushist (and your namesake's) pre-emptive "defense" as the first order of business.

No, the best defense is threat evaluation, which you (and the rest of America) have deprioritized to zero.
Who said that the intelligent life we find will be "superadvanced ETs"?

LMAO, "threat evaluation"

I can just picture an ancient Sumarian doing a "threat analysis" on a modern day soldier for example...

Old 01-22-2012, 11:54 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Who said that the intelligent life we find will be "superadvanced ETs"?

LMAO, "threat evaluation"

I can just picture an ancient Sumarian doing a "threat analysis" on a modern day soldier for example...
I wasn't counting on participating in a discussion with someone whose view of civilization is "Kill everything I can't enslave".

By the way, a "soldier" from whatever time period is pretty easy to subject to threat-analysis, even by Sumerian standards. He is, by definition, armed and trained to kill. Who said the ETs are soldiers? Who cares, they look and talk funny, so kill them anyway, right?

How will we know if they are superadvanced? Easy. They make an argumentative point by saying "LMAO" and repeating a word they don't understand. Superadvanced.

Old 01-22-2012, 01:46 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,503,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
It's more likely that they'll find us.
Why's that?

Old 01-22-2012, 02:19 PM

119 posts, read 226,586 times
Quote:
I wasn't counting on participating in a discussion with someone whose view of civilization is "Kill everything I can't enslave".

By the way, a "soldier" from whatever time period is pretty easy to subject to threat-analysis, even by Sumerian standards. He is, by definition, armed and trained to kill. Who said the ETs are soldiers? Who cares, they look and talk funny, so kill them anyway, right?

How will we know if they are superadvanced? Easy. They make an argumentative point by saying "LMAO" and repeating a word they don't understand. Superadvanced.
What if they don't have "weapons" in a sense that we can understand? What would a gun look like to your ancient Sumarian? How would said ancient Sumarian overcome someone who could kill at an unbelievable range? If he could get close enough how would he kill said soldier? Kevlar doesn't stop knives, so a sword would work, but there are ceramic plates over the vital areas front and back. Without the knowledge of where those plates are and aren't the modern day soldier would be effectively invincible.

I suggest you do a "threat analysis" on the danger of the unwillingness to think objectively and instead respond with a knee jerk "why can't we all get along" reaction. It's actually speculated that any species sufficiently advanced to travel through space and arrive at earth would be aggressive. We can only speculate based upon what happens on our planet, but the logic is that in our world you are either predator or prey. Becoming an efficient predator allows you to rise through the food chain, and evolve society technology etc.

Again it's all speculative, but if I were to land on an alien planet I wouldn't be offended if they were suspicious for the same reasons. If an alien were to land in my back yard I'd certainly greet it with weapons present, hoping for peace but wary of some sort of sly plot to probe me. It might do absolutely no good, but it would be better than nothing, it's a psychology thing. Just watch your behind, those Zarblaxians are sneaky!

Old 01-22-2012, 02:57 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,201,643 times
Quote:
Amazing how elitists put words (or attribute) something to someone that is patently false. Care to show me where I said (alluded to) that in this thread?

Quote:
How does someone from a few thousand years ago comprehend the destructive power of a modern soldier?

Please point out to us how a Sumarian could understand the blunt stick carried by a man in green with a helmet could kill them from over 1,000 yards away...

Please point out to us how a Sumarian could understand the little round object called a hand grenade...

I see you are fixated with this killing thing, must be a Victoria Tx trait....

This is 2012, not the 1930's. People would not panic over a revelation that intelligence (a dolphin is intelligent, right?) exists somewhere other then planet Earth.

Quote:
Makes about as much sense as your killing statements...

*FAIL*

Last edited by plwhit; 01-22-2012 at 03:08 PM..

Old 01-22-2012, 08:51 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,305,124 times
hell yes I would care. It would be the ulimate find and the most interesting discovery in the history of the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space