Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 07:17 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
But there is something else relevant about our analysis. The stills we are seeing are the film transferred to video, and then we're seeing the stop-frame of the video. We don't know how much blurring of the action is on the original frames of the Super-8 footage, which would depend on the exposure time of each frame.
They would need to use a telecine machine for this and you could get exact duplication of the frame rate and content of each frame with the right equipment. For example they often use camcorders to capture the film but it's specifically set up to work as one unit:

Ideally you want a machine that will speed up the film so it matches the camcorder so you get a 1:1 capture. If the camcorder is 24 or 30FPS the film should be going at 24 or 30 FPS. From there post capture you can slow it down to the original 18FPS or properly convert it to any desired FPS. How it was captured or what was done to it after capture is questionable but the video available on the internet was either captured using framerate inconsistent with the film or converted post capture.

Technically there is no reason to convert it from 18FPS to anything else for display as video on the internet. You can use any framerate you want for computer video, I often exploit this to substantially lower file sizes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 11:18 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
The movement of the bird wings becomes quite apparent as the bird flies from left to right..

What I do see is that the shape is twice as long in one frame than it is in the other two, which would suggest that the shutter was open twice as long for that frame. In that longer image, the change in the relative position of light and dark areas in the object could be the wingtip of a soaring board suddenly shifting its axis, and raising the near wing tip by an increment about equal to the body of the bird. But that would not account for the other two images capturing the object for only half the shutter speed of the other.

How do you account for one of two frames having a part of the object juxtaposed with the rocket flare, but in only one of them, the object is twice as long as the other, yet it is in rapid motion leaving the margins of the picture within a frame or two. In other words, in one still, there is only Part A of the object, obscuring the rocket flare, and in another frame, there is a Part A and a Part B to the object, but Part A is still almost exactly in the same place. And 1/9 of a second earlier or later, it is not in the frame at all. As if, at 1/18 second intervals, the object (1) entered the picture,(2) parked in one spot, (3) elongated itself to double its length, and (4) left the picture.

Last edited by jtur88; 03-14-2012 at 11:40 PM..

Old 03-15-2012, 12:09 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
What I do see is that the shape is twice as long in one frame than it is in the other two, which would suggest that the shutter was open twice as long for that frame.
This one?

From the OP it would be the fourth and fifth frame combined. When you want to change the FPS you have add or subtract frames. If you're adding you have to create them, to maintain smooth playback there is few methods to accomplish this but it gets really complicated...

Quote:
How do you account for one of two frames having a part of the object juxtaposed with the rocket flare,
I just created this in my editor, from the op it's the fifth image overlaying the fourth image with 50% transparency. It's nearly identical to the one above and I just created it.

The source for this video has been stepped all over and without having the original or knowing what process it went through to get to the current condition there is no way to determine what is going on here. There is very good chance the original film has much more detail than what is being shown in this video.

Last edited by thecoalman; 08-01-2020 at 05:30 PM..

Old 03-15-2012, 07:23 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,703,819 times
Really?
Whatever it is clearly to me had nothing to do with Challenger.
It does not HIT Challenger. It looks to me to be very much in front of Challenger.

I say again: Really?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space