Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 09:51 PM

1,300 posts, read 960,861 times

Advertisements

I would do it. But only if serious, workable plans to terraform Mars on a large scale are established. As it now stands there are serious engineering issues, not least of which is planetary magnetic field creation. These very serious things would need to move out of the theoretical and firmly into the well funded experimental stages.

I would only do it if it were seriously the beginning of a contiguous process to ultimate Martian transformation into a habitable world capable of eventual self sufficiency. I would not be interested in dying on mars for a mere stunt, similar to our mid 20th century trips to the moon, that would be followed by a generation or more of disinterest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 02:10 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,026,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97701 View Post
You do it, then

I would but I love my family.

Old 04-28-2013, 11:50 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Committing suicide does not rank very high on my list of things I would like to do.

Old 04-28-2013, 12:09 PM

4,208 posts, read 4,457,265 times
If this was truly looked at as long term plan sure, then perhaps a son could become like the character in the classic Robert Heinlein "Stranger In A Strange Land" novel.

Seriously though, I think we need to focus on fixing the problems here on Earth with a more directness and transparency to solving problems, rather than treating symptoms, because treating symptoms (pick any industry - social issue et al) helps keep the business - economic - financial merry go round leadership clowns in a command control mode.

Old 04-28-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
If this was truly looked at as long term plan sure, then perhaps a son could become like the character in the classic Robert Heinlein "Stranger In A Strange Land" novel.

Seriously though, I think we need to focus on fixing the problems here on Earth with a more directness and transparency to solving problems, rather than treating symptoms, because treating symptoms (pick any industry - social issue et al) helps keep the business - economic - financial merry go round leadership clowns in a command control mode.
If this was looked at as a long term plan they would be sending unmanned habitat modules, supplies, and equipment, and make absolutely certain it is was all operational BEFORE sending humans.

Old 04-28-2013, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post

How do you treat a symptom for Asteroiditis? And this is private companies and not governments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
If this was looked at as a long term plan they would be sending unmanned habitat modules, supplies, and equipment, and make absolutely certain it is was all operational BEFORE sending humans.

are you being facetious?

Old 04-28-2013, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piyf View Post
are you being facetious?
No, I am not being facetious. The fact that they are going to send people to Mars without ensuring that their equipment will function in that environment first, tells me they place a very low value on human life.

If there is water on Mars, let them demonstrate that fact by collecting enough water where humans could survive without having to bring water with them. If they are going to separate oxygen from carbon to manufacture fuel, let them do so now, before people arrive, so that we know there is sufficient fuel and water to make the mission a success.

Anything less and they are just throwing away human life.

Old 04-29-2013, 02:10 PM

Where do they say they won't be ensuring everything works before anyone gets there? The video says otherwise.

Old 04-29-2013, 02:27 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
No. What will become of the mental health of those when it really hits home they are stuck on the red barren planet for life? This will be a dangerous journey to boot.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:00 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,214,794 times
Mars would be the safest place in the universe for the currently earth bound humanoids. There's NO guns on Mars. No death by cop scenarios to play.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space