Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2020, 06:54 AM

4,547 posts, read 3,748,556 times

Advertisements

What is the advantage of a "binocular telescope" over another lower powered telescope or a binocular like 20x80 or 20x100 on a steady tripod?
I have a Celestron Evolution 9.25 and love it - the tracking is great although probably 30% of the time, the tracking doesn't work. Anyway, a friend pointed me to "binocular telescopes" and I was intrigued.

However, they are very expensive - even the cheapest one - BT-70XL-ED Binocular Telescope - is $1350 and requires a $280 mount so that's still over $1500 for this.

What can I see with a binocular telescope and can you please help me compare that with a 20x80 binoculars and my Celestron Evo 9.25?

Also, I noticed Oberwerk's best binocular telescope is the BT-127XL-SD Binocular Telescope and that thing is close to $5k! What is the point of spending this much money on a binocular telescope? What would I be able to see with these binocular telescopes that I cannot with my Celestron Evo 9.25? Obviously, they don't track anything so I'm guessing this is a wide-angle view of the sky? If I buy their cheapest binocular telescope, does it give me a nice wide-angle view of the sky or is it too narrow?

Quality Oberwerk binocular telescopes that supposedly are very good quality:
https://oberwerk.com/product-categor...ar-telescopes/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2020, 08:54 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,239,560 times
Advantage - you can see with both eyes.

https://skyandtelescope.org/astronom...lar-telescope/

One of the comments says it well -

“Rather, by filling both of a person's retinas with the maximum amount of starlight available (at a given price point), binocular telescope users attest to a significantly improved observational experience.”

Personally I’d rather get a much larger reflecting telescope than a binocular telescope which is 2 refracting telescopes “strapped together”.

Notice in your link the picture is taken on a deck presumably looking out at the boats, not at a night sky although that’s one of the use cases.

Old 11-25-2020, 09:37 AM

11,085 posts, read 7,146,060 times
Using both eyes is definitely an advantage. It's more like regular vision. Can you imagine daily life using one eye? The also make moon viewing more incredible. And though not used as frequently, they're great for comets.

Plus they are very portable, and tend to have a wider field of view, which benefits larger objects.

They aren't expensive though. I bought a great one that also came with a tripod adapter, for around $100, from a name brand manufacturer (20x80).

The drawback of course is that they lack magnification. So great for many objects, but less useful for smaller objects. All serious amateur astronomers I know have telescopes and binoculars.

Old 11-25-2020, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Using both eyes is definitely an advantage. It's more like regular vision. Can you imagine daily life using one eye? The also make moon viewing more incredible. And though not used as frequently, they're great for comets.

Plus they are very portable, and tend to have a wider field of view, which benefits larger objects.

They aren't expensive though. I bought a great one that also came with a tripod adapter, for around $100, from a name brand manufacturer (20x80).

The drawback of course is that they lack magnification. So great for many objects, but less useful for smaller objects. All serious amateur astronomers I know have telescopes and binoculars.

Yep, I thought about buying a 20x80 or a 20x100 binoculars and put that on a tripod, but then I was intrigued by the more powerful binocular telescopes - which I guess is basically 2 refractors put together. What do you think about this link?

Old 12-01-2020, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
Yep, I thought about buying a 20x80 or a 20x100 binoculars and put that on a tripod, but then I was intrigued by the more powerful binocular telescopes - which I guess is basically 2 refractors put together. What do you think about this link?

Looks like high-quality products. They come with a high price tag, but you should have a quality product to enjoy for years. I like that angled (45 degrees?) approach. The straight-through binoculars are hard to use on objects at a high angle in the sky.

Just keep in mind the limitation on magnification. Some of the smaller deep sky objects will not be visible.

Old 12-26-2020, 02:48 PM

So I ended up buying the Oberwerk 100XL binocular telescope as a Christmas present for myself - this one:
https://oberwerk.com/product/oberwerk-bt-100xl-ed/

I also bought an extra pair of the 7mm eyepieces. This thing is great! Much less time needed to set up vs a telescope. Amazing views of the moon, the Jupiter and Saturn conjunction (less close up of course) but this thing shines with deep sky objects like the Andromeda Galaxy.

Can't wait to use this more! the 45 degree angle eyepieces is very comfortable. Even the kids are liking this thing.

Going with more magnification than the 7mm eyepieces will mess up the image quality, but I may try out some 6mm eyepieces.

Old 12-28-2020, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
So I ended up buying the Oberwerk 100XL binocular telescope as a Christmas present for myself - this one:
https://oberwerk.com/product/oberwerk-bt-100xl-ed/

I also bought an extra pair of the 7mm eyepieces. This thing is great! Much less time needed to set up vs a telescope. Amazing views of the moon, the Jupiter and Saturn conjunction (less close up of course) but this thing shines with deep sky objects like the Andromeda Galaxy.

Can't wait to use this more! the 45 degree angle eyepieces is very comfortable. Even the kids are liking this thing.
Sounds great! Enjoy

Old 02-07-2021, 09:24 AM

2,479 posts, read 2,212,520 times
Default what magnification did the lookouts use in WWII?

Most of the photos show the binocs projecting out about 10". Does it matter today with stabilization? How about range finders? Light amphilation?

Old 02-08-2021, 06:28 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 25 days ago)

27,640 posts, read 16,123,288 times
Attatch binoviewer to your telescope as an option starting at couple hundred.
https://telescopes.net/store/telesco...elescopes.html

Old 02-10-2021, 08:13 PM

1,014 posts, read 479,433 times
Default Telescope vs. "Binocular telescope" Are they worth it?

Are you into this kind of stuff? Astroids, planetary motions, stars, etc. 2019 YP5 a space rock came with in 1.9 million miles of earth this morning, Hawai'i time. About 6:58 am. It was the size of Washington monument. I actually wasn't aware of it. Until now reading the article. But there is another space rock coming again to earth. March 21, 2021. 2001 FO32. 5:03 am, Hawai'i time that day. This time with in 1.3 million miles of earth. 0.47 miles x 1.05 miles across. 76,980 mph is the speed of the object closes to earth. Wow.

Last edited by tyCable; 02-10-2021 at 08:16 PM.. Reason: add in
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space