Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 10:30 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,464,513 times

Advertisements

That all fine and all but I am more interested when I will go to the moon, not a group of people I dont even know....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 07:48 AM

712 posts, read 2,146,289 times
Bush has supposed to have launched a program to get us to the moon.. whether that's feasible or not I can't say..

I think a safe educated bet is to assume that even if we can't do it.. (we have the best odds after all been there before.. have a launched program) someone will set foot on there again within 10 to 20 years.. (I mean if not us.. a corporation or 3rd world country will show us up)

Old 01-31-2009, 06:55 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,133,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
That all fine and all but I am more interested when I will go to the moon, not a group of people I dont even know....
I saw an article not too long ago about a significant loss of bone mass (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28861107/ - broken link) from hip bones of astronauts at the space station. I think for any long term mission in space, astronauts will have to have resistance exercise, along with plenty of Vitamin D and calcium. But even then, there may be other factors we don't know about.

Old 02-01-2009, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
I saw an article not too long ago about a significant loss of bone mass (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28861107/ - broken link) from hip bones of astronauts at the space station. I think for any long term mission in space, astronauts will have to have resistance exercise, along with plenty of Vitamin D and calcium. But even then, there may be other factors we don't know about.
Not unless we come up with artificial gravity. I know its a movie but a example I will use is Star Trek.

Old 02-01-2009, 10:08 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,242,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
All sorts of weird stuff happens to the human body while in space.

What Happens to the Human Body in Space? | Journey to Space | Deutsche Welle | 29.09.2006

Some other interesting stuff:
What Happens to Your Body in Space | The Thinking Blog ~ Knowledge Grows When Shared!
Re: What happens to a dead body in space?

Old 02-01-2009, 10:34 AM

3,689 posts, read 10,418,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Not unless we come up with artificial gravity. I know its a movie but a example I will use is Star Trek.
Rotating a piece of the module to get us there would create an artificial gravity. The trick is to get it spinning fast enough to create the gravity, but not too fast so that the astronauts loose their freeze dried lunch.

Old 02-01-2009, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
Rotating a piece of the module to get us there would create an artificial gravity. The trick is to get it spinning fast enough to create the gravity, but not too fast so that the astronauts loose their freeze dried lunch.
I am not sure how particle that would be for faster then light travel though. In the end we are stuck here until we find solutions for all those problems.

Old 02-01-2009, 08:00 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,917,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
As long as they can't see the outside I would think they would be fine since their immediate surroundings would be still. You couldn't tell it from actual gravity unless you tossed something up (I think).

Old 02-05-2009, 08:02 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,241,755 times
As the economy continues to implode dealing with food riots will be a higher priority than hoping around on the moon or Mars. That's a luxury reserved for boom times not likely to return in the near future. China is much more likely to take up the mantle at some point.

Old 02-15-2009, 12:22 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,733,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
The moon? Been there, done that, bought the moon rock.

We have no justification on spending hundreds of millions of dollars to see some guy hop around on the moon. It has little bearing to making our lives any better.
i totaly agree we will never live in space !!!!we need to solve the problems here on earth first.. nasa's priorities should be reallocated to solving things like clean cheap domestic energy of all sorts we need to solve those problems first.. their won't be a space program in the future if we keep heading down the buisness as usual route.... priority no#one should be planet earth!!!!!!going to the moon or going to mars is just a big waste time and$$$$$$$$$$
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space