Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 12:21 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,614,054 times

Advertisements

You've heard them time and again. There's a man in the moon. It's made of cheese, elicits madness and inspires love.

Moon Myths and Madness: Why Do We Believe? (http://digg.com/d3x895 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 05:24 AM

2,255 posts, read 5,399,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
You've heard them time and again. There's a man in the moon. It's made of cheese, elicits madness and inspires love.

Moon Myths and Madness: Why Do We Believe? (http://digg.com/d3x895 - broken link)
My grandmother worked for 25 years in the San Diego County psychiatric hospital where the cops brought in the Loons (Lunar as the article pointed out) and I remember she would always comment on dreading the time of the month when the full moon came around. Not only would the cops have a more difficult time in the field, but the patients they already had would go crazy during this time and they were'nt even exposed in a visual way to there being a full moon occuring.

Check out this quote from the article which a question was asked about if the moon's gravitational pull effects oceans , then why not people. Answer ???:
Quote:
"But science does'nt bear this out."
You know, the total tonage of what science does'nt bear out or understand is astounding. I'd say this is more of the usual ego thing because no one with a so-called brilliant education or experience can explain it. The very idea that simple Layman like nurses, police, famers , etc can make simple observations that the genius men/women with ego issues can't bastardize with their usual version of a "Rational" explanation for which everyone else must except, is incredible.

Thankfully there are more and more humble scientists and researchers who will look out the box as it's been called and look seriously at such strange phenomena. The word "rational" itself for me is to be catagorized right up there with other false religious terminology such as "trinity" and "jihad".

Old 07-25-2009, 08:27 AM

23,603 posts, read 70,446,439 times
LOL! Yeah, I can understand that. I worked in a state hospital myself and didn't notice much of a difference. However, for years sleeping on the couple of nights around a full moon were very difficult for me. I ascribe it to ancestors having to use those nights to hunt nocturnal creatures, and that imprinting being carried down.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:40 AM

46,967 posts, read 26,011,859 times
Quote:
The very idea that simple Layman like nurses, police, famers , etc can make simple observations that the genius men/women with ego issues can't bastardize with their usual version of a "Rational" explanation for which everyone else must except, is incredible.
You'd expect to see some sort of statistical underpinning for a trend like that, though. If there's a marked blip in the number of people admitted to psychiatric care every four weeks, it has to be reflected in the paperwork. I've yet to see a convincing study that shows correlation.

There's a reason we stopped going with the simple-layman, everybody-knows-it's-so explanation: It tended to lead us astray. Confirmation bias is wired into our brains: We see what we expect to see and note the events that confirm our hypothesis - and not so much those that don't.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
You'd expect to see some sort of statistical underpinning for a trend like that, though. If there's a marked blip in the number of people admitted to psychiatric care every four weeks, it has to be reflected in the paperwork. I've yet to see a convincing study that shows correlation.
It'll never be of major importance other than some University curiosity project. Reason: There's no profit or power motivational quest for it's justification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane
There's a reason we stopped going with the simple-layman, everybody-knows-it's-so explanation: It tended to lead us astray. Confirmation bias is wired into our brains: We see what we expect to see and note the events that confirm our hypothesis - and not so much those that don't.
Like I said, It's just another religion with all the same imperfections and selfish motivations which are running our planet into the ground.

Looking "Outside the Box" is certainly a to be considered a voodoo of sorts, perhaps even blasphamy.

Old 07-27-2009, 06:20 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,568,138 times
Anyone working in a hospital will tell you theres got to be
something to it, not sci-fi. A relative has told me some crazy
full moon hospital stories, for some reason it affects some
more than others.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:22 AM

1,482 posts, read 3,127,278 times
Questions:

How many of these people were in isolation?

How many did NOT go crazy on that day/week?

How many went crazy on another week?

How many of the people there believed THEMSELVES that there was something to the myth and therefore were more likely to not only confirm, but promote this reaction?

The problem here is that we are as Diane mentioned, prone to confirmation. We only start noticing thnigs when someone else points it out to us, and then LO AND BEHOLD it happens a lot.

There are several problems with this in that first of all, we just simply NOTICE thnigs that are pointed out to us sooner than things that aren't.

Second is that we propogate these things. The classic "jinx" factor. Your kid may not fear animals, but if mommy wigs out around a dog, JR might get that same feeling even if he was never specifically told that "dogs are bad".

So if all the care personnel are on edge because they know it is a full moon, how do you think the patients are going to react to that?

If this is such an ingrained thing, and all humans are subject to it, who can tell me when the last Full Moon was in their area, WITHOUT looking it up online!!! And no, I do not mean from memorization you astronomy buffs!!!!!!

As for this:

Quote:
Thankfully there are more and more humble scientists and researchers who will look out the box as it's been called and look seriously at such strange phenomena. The word "rational" itself for me is to be catagorized right up there with other false religious terminology such as "trinity" and "jihad".
Where the heck do you get this garbage from? "other false religious terminology"?

Rational scientific theory and observation is religious? You equated science with radical extremism? (Jihad???)

Why do so many people fear Science so much they are willing to cast aspersions on the people who practice it rather than try to understand it itself?

BTW, do you even know what "theory" means? So many people believe that scientific theory is the same as social/popular theory. It isn't. Science is one of those ANNOYING thnigs that requires proof for even its theories. Hell, gravity is still a "theory" but I think most of us believe it is pertty factual at this point.

Anyway, the simple rule of science is this, if you can repeat it, there has to be a reason. If you CAN'T repeat it, then it is not so, no matter how much you FEEL it to be so.

In order to make something work in science, you have o know how you did it and be able to re-do it in the same way, otherwise there is no proof of the how or why.

Anyway, back to OT.

the ful moon thing is bupkis. We do have monthly rhythms, but it is found that more things come by association with others than anything else. If someone is convinced that the full moon is mystic, people are more likely to be influenced by that persons opinion than by the actual moon itself (which does NOTHING MORE at full than simply reflect more sunlight. It is just as close, and it is right overhead at different times during the day/night all throughout its phases).

Well, that's about it! Have fun.....

Old 07-27-2009, 10:29 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
You guys are forgetting something (that might not occur to you unless you are an emergency worker). Just because you don't carry or aren't admitted for some psychiatric diagnosis does not mean you aren't f'in crazy.

I didn't believe this full moon stuff, either. I rarely believe any of that kind of garbage.

But it's become clear over the last 7 years that it is very true. And I don't mean overt psych patients. But other patients who come in with other complaints but clearly have severe personality disorders, drug abuse problems, are hostile for no reason, etc.

So you may not see a rise in the 'paperwork' for admitting to psych facilities, but you will absolutely see a rise in the number of patients you see who are rude to you for no reason, sign out against medical advice because you wore green when you came in the room, assault the personnel (verbally and even occasionally physically) bc they are not getting the 'good drugs,' etc.

Since I don't keep up with the cycles of the moon (even now), I am usually muttering to myself, "What the hell is wrong with everyone?!" And someone will invaribly point out, "Full moon, doc."

Old 07-27-2009, 10:34 AM

46,967 posts, read 26,011,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepacific View Post
It'll never be of major importance other than some University curiosity project. Reason: There's no profit or power motivational quest for it's justification.
Are you crazy? It'd shake up things somewhat fierce. Nobel prizes aren't awarded for confirming theories, they're awarded for disproving them.

And profit? Insurance companies - who make their money by knowing risk to the 4th significant digit - would pay handsomely for proof of the moon's influence. Emergency services? Law enforcement? All would love a statistical indicator like that.

Quote:
Like I said, It's just another religion with all the same imperfections and selfish motivations which are running our planet into the ground.

Looking "Outside the Box" is certainly a to be considered a voodoo of sorts, perhaps even blasphamy.
Those who look outside the box are heroes of science. Curie, Einstein, Bohr, Darwin to name a few. But if all you have is a bunch of anecdotes with no numbers, don't expect to be taken too seriously.

For decades in the 19th century, it was considered common knowledge that "rain follows the plow", quite literally that farming the land would change a region's climate. Homesteaders, to their loss, interpreted a short-lived climate cycle as proof of their own influence, and stuck with the thought for years after the regular droughts returned and laid their farmland to waste.

Can I recommend "The Demon-haunted World" by Sagan?

Old 07-27-2009, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Are you crazy? It'd shake up things somewhat fierce. Nobel prizes aren't awarded for confirming theories, they're awarded for disproving them.
Isn't science with a Marxist take and perspective on things wonderful ???

Quote:
Those who look outside the box are heroes of science. Curie, Einstein, Bohr, Darwin to name a few. But if all you have is a bunch of anecdotes with no numbers, don't expect to be taken too seriously.
Darwin ???

A huge part of the problem of our planet's failing ecosystems systems is because of the Marxist direction this guy helped create and religion is right up there with him. I take it you did'nt completely understand the sarcasm behind the humor there ???

Quote:
Can I recommend "The Demon-haunted World" by Sagan?
Perhaps you should listen to Carl Sagan's take on the differences between studying Astronomy and Astrology. I find his opening statement in this bit to be extremely applicable to almost any scientific endeavor the geniuses approach on any type of research now days.

YouTube - Carl Sagan on Astrology

Quote:
By Carl Sagan

"There are two ways to view the Stars. The way they really are and the way we wish them to be."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space