Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 06:29 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,027,479 times

Advertisements

You will never come back home to Earth. Would you do this?

Mars One introduction film (updated version) - YouTube

Apply Now

http://applicants.mars-one.com/

I really really hope this happens. I wouldn't go, but I would love this to become a reality show or network dedicated from the beginning and to just keep going. Hopefully they get enough sponsors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 06:36 PM

472 posts, read 570,737 times
I think I would literally go crazy. I think everyone would. I wouldn't dream of doing it myself, but it sure is fascinating.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:41 PM

1,805 posts, read 1,467,323 times
I would love to do this. Unfortunately my less than top physical condition would knock me out of contention.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:18 PM

I would love to try it for a year maybe, but that is not an option. It's to be permanent. No Willamette River, no pine trees, no ability to drive to New Jersey or fly to Australia, no chance to see parts of the ocean you haven't seen before. How could anybody not regret it? Absolutely the worst idea ever, I think. The worst torture imaginable.

No chance to meet people from Kamchatka, try Moroccan cuisine in Morocco with Morrocans ... no way to see more of Earth, meet more people, see other customs of being human, learn other languages and speak them face-to-face with natives and smile, laugh, love other people, no way to discover more of your home planet, and what if you found some new thing so fascinating that you hadn't even thought of ... and there is so much here, that I couldn't experience it in 200 years. That is what I would so deeply regret if I was gone, and I know I could not live with that regret.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:36 PM

No way to try that restaurant that your friend loved, no way to fly the Airbus 380 from Hong Kong to Singapore (or whatever you hear of that humans on Earth love to do), no way to make South African style food that you crave from hearing about it ... almost everything about being a human from Earth becomes impossible. No way to ride the newest Kawasaki or even see one in person. And with years to think about it, I would have about a few million regrets. Even if I can't do everything I wish I could do, right now, I know I can do some of the things as I choose. To not have that choice is worse than death.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:05 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,827,396 times
It would be incredible to go to Mars, but certainly NOT permanently. I could see myself breaking down with a billion and one regrets and massive depression well before the Earth would even be nothing more than a point of light.

Old 04-24-2013, 07:07 AM

4,246 posts, read 12,027,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97701 View Post
I would love to try it for a year maybe, but that is not an option. It's to be permanent. No Willamette River, no pine trees, no ability to drive to New Jersey or fly to Australia, no chance to see parts of the ocean you haven't seen before. How could anybody not regret it? Absolutely the worst idea ever, I think. The worst torture imaginable.

No chance to meet people from Kamchatka, try Moroccan cuisine in Morocco with Morrocans ... no way to see more of Earth, meet more people, see other customs of being human, learn other languages and speak them face-to-face with natives and smile, laugh, love other people, no way to discover more of your home planet, and what if you found some new thing so fascinating that you hadn't even thought of ... and there is so much here, that I couldn't experience it in 200 years. That is what I would so deeply regret if I was gone, and I know I could not live with that regret.

Worst idea ever? Here's a reason why. When you die now (assuming you're just a regular Joe) and your immediate family is gone too, you'll never be remembered as being on Earth. If you're the first to Mars, you'll be in the history books and talked about as long as our species is alive and that is a major selling point. This has the ability for another civilization to colonize another planet which is what we need.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piyf View Post
Worst idea ever? Here's a reason why. When you die now (assuming you're just a regular Joe) and your immediate family is gone too, you'll never be remembered as being on Earth. If you're the first to Mars, you'll be in the history books and talked about as long as our species is alive and that is a major selling point. This has the ability for another civilization to colonize another planet which is what we need.
You do it, then

Old 04-24-2013, 12:07 PM

24,495 posts, read 17,239,538 times
That would be an incredible adventure for the whole world to share in the success of. Would I go? probably not but I'm sure there are many who would consider it. It would be difficult to leave family and everything you have ever known in your life. Of course maybe a whole family can go like the classic TV show "Lost in Space"
I would be worried about getting resupplied. Mars is a very hostile planet that likes to eat half the probes we have sent to it. Imagine gettign there after the 7 month journey and realising the robots that were supposed to set up camp have been sitting around collecting red dust.
The idea is fascinating. Note: NASA didn't sign on.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:57 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space