Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 09:47 AM

395 posts, read 1,287,226 times

Advertisements

I am sorry if I am coming across as dumb. But please can someone tell me about this?

I have been doing a lot of research lately regarding Autism because my sisters son is born Autistic. I have been postponing the decision to have a baby because deep in heart I have a feeling that my child will be autistic too. Doctors say that Autism is caused by a combination of factors which also in includes genetics.

While research shows that there is possibility (5-20%) of my child being Autistic, there is 80% chance that my child would be normal. Am i right or wrong? can anyone please confirm?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 10:09 AM

1,429 posts, read 4,284,679 times
That statistic is for a sibling of the autistic child, not a cousin.

That being said, there are no guarantees one way or another.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:42 AM

1,312 posts, read 4,777,186 times
I think that there is the possibility of a genetic link, but there's no proof of anything yet.

My firstborn has Asperger's Syndrome, my second child is neurotypical.
My brother's firstborn and third are neurotypical, his second child has PDD-NOS among other physical/development disabilites.

If either of us has more children, I would say there's a chance the child would also be on the spectrum, but there's no guarantee.

Old 07-08-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefightermom View Post
I think that there is the possibility of a genetic link, but there's no proof of anything yet.

My firstborn has Asperger's Syndrome, my second child is neurotypical.
My brother's firstborn and third are neurotypical, his second child has PDD-NOS among other physical/development disabilites.

If either of us has more children, I would say there's a chance the child would also be on the spectrum, but there's no guarantee.
Your second one neurotypical and your brothers son's are too. Emm...so the chances are high that my baby will be autistic?

Old 07-08-2010, 11:52 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,932,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakhi View Post
I am sorry if I am coming across as dumb. But please can someone tell me about this?

I have been doing a lot of research lately regarding Autism because my sisters son is born Autistic. I have been postponing the decision to have a baby because deep in heart I have a feeling that my child will be autistic too. Doctors say that Autism is caused by a combination of factors which also in includes genetics.

While research shows that there is possibility (5-20%) of my child being Autistic, there is 80% chance that my child would be normal. Am i right or wrong? can anyone please confirm?
There is a genetic link, but no one knows all the factors. Besides autism is NOT the end of the world. Your child could be autistic and end up with 3 phds like Temple Grandin.

Exploring Autism

The current theory among autism genetics researchers supports the idea of "complex" inheritance. This means that multiple genetic factors are likely to be involved, and may predispose an individual to develop autism. This theory also includes a role for environmental factors. In addition to having the right combination of autism-related genes, exposure to certain environmental factors might be necessary for autism to develop in some individuals. For instance, if one version of a gene makes an individual susceptible to a particular chemical, exposure to that chemical could trigger autism to develop. By focusing on the study of genetic factors and determining their underlying mechanisms, researchers may be better able to pinpoint environmental factors that contribute to autism.

Understanding Genetics: Human Health and the Genome

Twin studies of autism show that there is a 36-91% chance of two identical twins being autistic. Fraternal twins only have a 2-4% chance of both being autistic. Since identical twins have the same DNA and they have a much greater chance of both being autistic, the disorder must be partly genetic.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:04 PM

Om my...everything is so uncertain. the entire research says "may" "could" "yes and no" "likely" etc. No answer! .

Old 07-08-2010, 02:39 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,932,109 times
That's right. When can you expect certainty in life? You can't! You need to go with the flow.

Old 07-08-2010, 04:10 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,606,279 times
If you're that worried don't have a child. I know several people who have no one with autism in their family, yet their child has autism. Personally I think it would be your loss. There are a lot worse things a child can have than autism.

Old 07-08-2010, 05:53 PM

63 posts, read 248,616 times
I have Three children both of my boys are on the spectrum. My siblings children are normal. That being said their is no way of knowing how your children will turn out. You have to know that you are ok with having a child weather they have a condition or not. If you are not ready to accept that maybe it is not the right time to have children yet. Children come with no warranty and anything can and will happen. I wish you the best with your decision.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:53 PM

1,312 posts, read 4,777,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakhi View Post
Your second one neurotypical and your brothers son's are too. Emm...so the chances are high that my baby will be autistic?
My point was that you just don't know...if you are that scared about the possibility, then don't have kids. Easy answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children