Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2012, 04:04 PM

659 posts, read 1,014,910 times

Advertisements

My Daughter is now 6. When she was born it took her forever to open her eyes, when she did the doctors thought she was blind because she would not look at anyone or follow their fingers or react to them.

She can see, but it took her a long time to sit up, crawl, walk and talk. Now she seems normal, she talks to people, plays with other kids and seems to have a good imagination. She refuses to be potty trained, I have taken her to many doctors, I even had my mother in law try it and my friends kid try and help her. We tried bribes, punishment and keeping her n her diaper to clean her self up. None worked.

She gets obsessed with things, will only wear one outfit and screams if I try and change it. She is happy when we go out and do stuff for her but screams when she gets bored. She repeats things often if I say we will get ice cream later, she will keep asking for ice cream or keep asking until I get it for her. She never forgets. When we are out and she does act up, I tell her to calm down and reach out for her and she starts screaming at the top of her lungs dont spank me!! and acts so innocent. ( we never have spanked that kids ever!!) I even had a secruity guard in the mall come up to me once, all because I refused to buy her something ( I was broke) she threw a scene at the mall and a guard came to me. So embarrassing.

Most concerning is we bought a puppy and she hates him. I saw her give him a Light bulb. I grabbed the light bulb from the puppy and asked her why she did that and she ran away screaming and crying. I caught up with her and asked if she knew that would hurt the puppy and she said yes, so I asked again why she would do that and she would not answer. She slammed a sliding the sliding glass door on her sisters fingers because she said her sister made her mad. I have also seen her do other things that were mean and meant to hurt and my husbands says she is just a kid and doesn't understand.

She is really sweet but it almost as it is fake, I don't say anything but she never seems sincere.

I am really worried, her behavior is very strange to me and nothing like my youngest. She is infulencing my youngest not to use the potty as well.

I have no insurance until sept/oct because of a job change. I know something i wrong with her and my husband refuses to see it and wont let me take her in. But I cant put her into a school because she wont stop peeing her pants and refuses to not to wear a diaper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 04:42 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
If you are in the US, are you homeschooling? At 6 or 7, she has to be in school or at least being homeschooled.

She needs to be evaluated and the school district can do some of that. They start evaluating children at 3 even if they are not enrolled.

It may be that you need to back off the potty training for a while. The pressure may be a problem. Then when she is more receptive, you can try again.

If she is enrolled in the right class, they can help you with potty training. I suggest a good PT video, although my favorite is pricey because it comes from Australia. It's animated and it shows everything that is happening, so a child that is scared might get a lot out of it especially if they are a visual learner. You can also try the ABA technique where you bring them to the potty every 15 minutes to 1/2 hour and reward success very heavily.

http://shop.service.sa.gov.au/site/p...roduct_id=5341

She sounds like she has sensory issues - the potty training *may* involve not really knowing when she has to go and the clothing could easily be sensory too. Read up on SPD - The Out-of-Sync Child by Carol Stock Kranowitz should be available at the library.

There are many possibilities for a dx and we can't dx her on the internet. You really need a full evaluation by a good developmental pediatrician.

Old 07-31-2012, 04:43 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
If you are in the US, are you homeschooling? At 6 or 7, she has to be in school or at least being homeschooled.

She needs to be evaluated and the school district can do some of that. They start evaluating children at 3 even if they are not enrolled.

It may be that you need to back off the potty training for a while. The pressure may be a problem. Then when she is more receptive, you can try again.

If she is enrolled in the right class, they can help you with potty training. I suggest a good PT video, although my favorite is pricey because it comes from Australia. It's animated and it shows everything that is happening, so a child that is scared might get a lot out of it especially if they are a visual learner. You can also try the ABA technique where you bring them to the potty every 15 minutes to 1/2 hour and reward success very heavily.

http://shop.service.sa.gov.au/site/p...roduct_id=5341

She sounds like she has sensory issues - the potty training *may* involve not really knowing when she has to go and the clothing could easily be sensory too. Read up on SPD - The Out-of-Sync Child by Carol Stock Kranowitz should be available at the library.

There are many possibilities for a dx and we can't dx her on the internet. You really need a full evaluation by a good developmental pediatrician.

Old 08-01-2012, 11:23 PM

108 posts, read 389,762 times
I know you are in the Denver area because I've seen your posts. Children's Hospital Colorado in Aurora has an amazing Child Developmental Center. We've used them to get my son's autism spectrum diagnosis. I would strongly suggest a Developmental Pediatrician like the previous poster suggested. I loved the one we used at Children's. A regular pediatrician can make the referral there once you get insurance. A developmental pedi will look at the entire picture, the history of the child from birth up, and help narrow it down or make a diagnosis. Sensory issues are common in ASD children or children can have sensory issues with other disorders or alone. We've used the Star Center in Denver previously for intensive sensory treatment for another child of mine with great success. I do not live in the Front Range but we travel up for health care as need be.

Even if your daughter is not in public school, they must evaluate her. If she is found to be "disabled", (I do not mean that in a bad way, more on that later), then services, special classrooms, etc... may be opened up for her. They can do their own evals, how great the actual eval and diagnosis is, varies from district to district. Schools tend to focus less on diagnosing and more on how can you get this child to learn. Google special education services and your school district, that is where you want to start. Right now since summer is ending soon, is a great time to call and be put on the waiting list for an eval. All free and it will at least provide some answers and assistance until you insurance kicks in. Back to the not being potty trained, neither is my son. It is being written into his IEP (Individual Education Plan) through the school district that he is not potty trained and needs assistance. There is hope and the ability to attend school with these issues.

Maybe since your husband is dragging his feet and in denial that there is an issue, start with the school now. I do understand, I literally took my son to Children's to be seen alone without my husband really knowing what I was going for because he was in denial autism was possible. I on the other hand, knew it was time to get help. Call the school district. Get that started. That is easy to do and talk your husband in doing more because she is 6, she is school aged, this is finding out how she can go to school with other children. Maybe don't even bring anything else up right now, take this first step right now though.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:12 AM

I am in the process of moving to one district to a another. I did call Douglas county school district months ago and they were no help. They just transferred me to a clinic who told me to contact my child's pediatrician. SO happy I am moving out of this district.

How old is your son? This whole thing is so scary not knowing whats going on.

Old 08-03-2012, 04:51 PM

I talked to the principal at elementary school, they told me to register and they are going to do an eval to see where she belongs and try and work with her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children