Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2012, 05:53 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,772,669 times

Advertisements

I am wondering what those of you with young (pre-k or kindergarten age) autistic kids do for their birthdays?

I have a son who turns 5 early next year. He is loving and happy, but also autistic and has related issues- he is almost completely non-verbal, not even close to potty trained, not good in groups or sitting still, plays well along others but not with them, and is sensory avoidant to noise. So yeah, big crowds are an issue. THanksgiving was pretty bad, we left my in-laws half way through dinner because the stimming wouldn't stop and the melt-downs started.

My son also has a NT twin sister, who is very much looking forward to her birthday already and thinking about what theme to have etc. This year, we had a joint birthday party for them at Gymboree. They modified it to play the music quietly and not do the musical instrument parade, and it worked pretty well but to the singing of happy birthday, and then the candles totally freaked him. But since then his fear/ meltdown based on loud environments has gotten worse (though he has a few words now and walks better hand-in-hand).

Anyways... frankly, I have considered having a birthday party for his sister (with friends etc), while my husband takes care of our son, and not having a party for him (he also doesn;t really have friends). Then maybe a day where we arrange for a babysitter for the girls and take out our son, just him and us parents. I think he would like that better, and of course he'd still get cake after his sister's party. But part of me feels awful about treating them differently, even though they ARE different. And it doesn't seem fair to stop the sister from having a big/ loud/ whatever party because the brother wouldn't want one, especially as they both like dinosaurs so there is a ready joint theme.

I'm rambling.. been up since 3am as son also won;t sleep,... anyways, input appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 08:41 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,928,233 times
I think that's particularly hard because of the twins aspect of it.

For me, my older (typical) daughter was having birthday parties with friends since she was 2. Both her own and others that she was invited to. My youngest is 3.5 and doesn't really have any friends. She has not had a birthday party of her own yet, besides a family party, and has only been invited to one (of a classmate), which she only participated in peripherally. I don't feel any pressure to have a kid party for her because she doesn't really have friends and hasn't expressed interest in having a party.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:16 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,185,020 times
The twin aspect does make it trickier. But you wouldn't want to force him into a loud, crowded situation if he doesn't do well; and you wouldn't want to deprive your daughter of a party if that's what she would like. I think there are many different ways to celebrate birthdays. I don't see anything wrong with separating them like you said.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:45 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,168,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
The twin aspect does make it trickier. But you wouldn't want to force him into a loud, crowded situation if he doesn't do well; and you wouldn't want to deprive your daughter of a party if that's what she would like. I think there are many different ways to celebrate birthdays. I don't see anything wrong with separating them like you said.
I agree. Two different celebrations seem the best way to proceed.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:21 PM

589 posts, read 1,348,348 times
Regardless of the twin aspect - if you had a girl that was into all things sparkly and pink and princessy, and a boy who was into dump trucks and mud and mess, you wouldn't think of having a joint party.

You have a girl who is social, and is into noise and crowds and busyness. So give her a party that is noisy and crowded and busy.

You have a boy who likes quiet and calm. So, do something quiet and calm with him.

It's not about treating them differently, it really is about treating them the same. You are catering to their interests, and their preferences. That IS treating them the same, what is different is their interests, their preferences.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:26 PM

108 posts, read 389,824 times
I agree with two different events. He sounds like he would be happier not being at a party that your daughter would love and he would benefit from getting solo time with both parents for "his" event.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:06 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,168,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieM View Post
Regardless of the twin aspect - if you had a girl that was into all things sparkly and pink and princessy, and a boy who was into dump trucks and mud and mess, you wouldn't think of having a joint party.

You have a girl who is social, and is into noise and crowds and busyness. So give her a party that is noisy and crowded and busy.

You have a boy who likes quiet and calm. So, do something quiet and calm with him.

It's not about treating them differently, it really is about treating them the same. You are catering to their interests, and their preferences. That IS treating them the same, what is different is their interests, their preferences.
Excellent points.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:21 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,772,669 times
Good points, thank you.
I must remember that equal does not mean the same.

Old 12-02-2012, 11:19 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
Yes -- a loud party will only cause him stress so just don't make him do that.

Whether you choose to have your child labeled or not, you should consider the personality and preferences of the child and if you notice your child melts down in crowded places or isn't very social, you just accomodate your child the best you can.

Old 12-26-2012, 05:41 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,940,165 times
We obviously do not have the twin situation, but even though my now 18 year old is very high functioning, he has never in his life wanted a birthday party. So I do what he wants, which is usually take him and 1 or 2 very good friends out to dinner and maybe to a fair/carnival (his birthday is mid-summer). He doesn't care for things like movies or amusement parks, so I have never taken him to those places. He usually requests to hit some kind of buffet so he can eat without waiting and see all the food before he selects it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children