Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 11:28 AM

493 posts, read 512,152 times

Advertisements

Ok I understand. Even though I find it strange that my son qualified for speech all year when he could talk (had a strong lisp) and no longer needed early intervention after 3. Yet my nephew who is so far behind he knows about 5 words. He isn't potty trained, just learned a little bit of eye contact (about 2 seconds), responds to his name sometimes, and often goes into tantrums where he covers his ears and screams. How does that not qualify for ESY? How will he be able to sit in a general education classroom? It just seems like the easy way out.
He's been in a school like setting since he was 1 with kids who didn't have specials needs. The therapist comes to her house after school.
Our goal is to get him to be a self sufficient adult. Its such a hard fight to get him the stuff he needs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2015, 11:45 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Unfortunately, ESY can be a mixed bag even when a child qualifies. In Lousiana our ESY for my grandson (he turned 3 in March, so was only in special ed school for 2 months and ESY was offered) was excellent. He had a teacher who really excelled and the class was a reverse inclusion class so the NT kids came into his class for circle time and crafts. It was his first school really and they were extremely sensitive and it was a great experience. In Texas, after we moved his first ESY was absolutely awful. It was essentially babysitting and the teachers did not work on his goals at all. We have not requested ESY since that time. Instead, he went to private autism camps (some were even free) where he had a teenage counselor who did one on one with him or and ABA camp (which was expensive) where the ABA therapists gave the kids a real camp experience plus individual attention.

Old 05-30-2015, 01:18 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Unfortunately, ESY can be a mixed bag even when a child qualifies. In Lousiana our ESY for my grandson (he turned 3 in March, so was only in special ed school for 2 months and ESY was offered) was excellent. He had a teacher who really excelled and the class was a reverse inclusion class so the NT kids came into his class for circle time and crafts. It was his first school really and they were extremely sensitive and it was a great experience. In Texas, after we moved his first ESY was absolutely awful. It was essentially babysitting and the teachers did not work on his goals at all. We have not requested ESY since that time. Instead, he went to private autism camps (some were even free) where he had a teenage counselor who did one on one with him or and ABA camp (which was expensive) where the ABA therapists gave the kids a real camp experience plus individual attention.
In my area ESY services are rarely classroom based, even at the early childhood level. Students with special educational needs can attend summer school with their peers, often with an aide hired by the school, but it is regular education summer school not a special educational program. But, not all school districts have summer school.

Of course, it depends on the individual needs of the child, but it is often one or two hours once or twice a week one to one in the child's home. It may be for six weeks or eight weeks or all summer, again, depending on the individual needs of that child. However, some times it is an hour a day, each week day for all summer, if that is what is needed for that child at that point in time. People may scoff at that, but it is amazing how much a qualified teacher or therapist can get done in one hour one to one focusing on specific IEP goals.

In my area, we have several all summer full and half day camps for students with special educational needs that are free. Many of them have a volunteer assigned to each child in addition to the paid staff members. That may be something to investigate in your area.

Last edited by germaine2626; 05-30-2015 at 01:34 PM..

Old 05-30-2015, 02:05 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,601,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allnaturalkiki View Post
Ok I understand. Even though I find it strange that my son qualified for speech all year when he could talk (had a strong lisp) and no longer needed early intervention after 3. Yet my nephew who is so far behind he knows about 5 words. He isn't potty trained, just learned a little bit of eye contact (about 2 seconds), responds to his name sometimes, and often goes into tantrums where he covers his ears and screams. How does that not qualify for ESY? How will he be able to sit in a general education classroom? It just seems like the easy way out.
He's been in a school like setting since he was 1 with kids who didn't have specials needs. The therapist comes to her house after school.
Our goal is to get him to be a self sufficient adult. Its such a hard fight to get him the stuff he needs.
If the school does not think the child will benefit or progress during ESY they won't offer it. From what you say regression will not be a qualifying issue for him because he doesn't have the skills to lose. I know that sounds harsh but ESY may not be what he needs. It is typically only a few hours a week. It sounds like he needs a special education summer school.

Old 05-30-2015, 04:49 PM

493 posts, read 512,152 times
Someone mentioned a free summer camp. The cheapest one I found was 3500 and its only half a day. The cheapest full day 5500.
Where do you guys live?

Old 05-30-2015, 04:54 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,601,733 times
Have they joined the local autism society? They will have a lot of information and so will the other local parents.

Old 05-30-2015, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Someone mentioned a free summer camp. The cheapest one I found was 3500 and its only half a day. The cheapest full day 5500.
Where do you guys live?
There are a number of free camps in the Midwest & the Milwaukee area.

Old 05-30-2015, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
Have they joined the local autism society? They will have a lot of information and so will the other local parents.
People in my local autism society are extremely knowledgeable and helpful to other parents seeking information.

Old 05-30-2015, 07:11 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
Where do you guys live?
I live in the Houston area and Easter Seals offers a week of camp free in various locations. You can sign up for more than one week, but they aren't all close to a particular area.

Camps | Programs

Camp Buckaroo was the one my grandson did. It was completely free. It is only a week though.

Old 06-03-2015, 05:12 AM

1,337 posts, read 2,209,211 times
I have to agree with what spazkat and Germaine said in all of their posts-he doesnt sound like he would qualify since he does not have the skills, so he certainly didnt demonstrate that he would regress over the summer.

When i lived in WI there were special ed camps and some also offered tuition waivers.
but it honestly sounds like he would greatly benefit from private therapy and small-group social skills developmental therapy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children