U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Old 04-08-2016, 03:04 PM
Location: Kansas City North
4,042 posts, read 7,317,630 times
Reputation: 5908


Don't know if this is the place to post this.

Today I was in the grocery store when I heard what I thought was a young toddler having a temper tantrum. It kept going on, and was getting louder and louder. Turns out it was an adult with Down syndrome and the situation had devolved into her hitting a woman (who I assumed was her mother) and literally acreaming at the top of her lungs.

I would have liked to have attempted to calm the situation if I could have, but my total lack of knowledge kept me from taking any action. So my questions are, what could/should I have done and how would intervention by a total outsider be taken by the parent/caregiver?

The situation was really quite upsetting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2016, 03:16 PM
Location: Middle America
36,633 posts, read 41,896,432 times
Reputation: 50459
Caregivers who accompany disabled adults on community outings should be solid on behavioral strategies, ideally, so that they have a protocol in place to respond in the case of just such an occurrence. A parent would certainly be familiar with outbursts and the best route of response, and a paid caregiver/QMHP certainly should be trained prior to undertaking outings. The individual accompanied should also ideally have it reviewed before any outing what type of behavior is required, but who knows the situation.

It's typically not advisable, outside of a situation that clearly poses a significant danger, for a stranger to intervene unsolicited, for many reasons.

But it is always okay to engage the caregiver by asking, calmly, "Is there something I can do to help? What do you need me to do?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2016, 12:28 PM
Location: Kansas
19,185 posts, read 15,018,492 times
Reputation: 18249
As a mother of an adult son with Down syndrome, I would stay out of it unless just to notify management of a problem or call the police.

I would guess the issue was either with an adult with DS normally living outside the home and on an outing with a parent or the adult was with a care provider that didn't have a clue what to do with the individual which would be a very likely scenario here.

If I see a "normal" couple having issues in the public, I handle it the same way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top