Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 07:00 PM

17,303 posts, read 12,239,198 times

Advertisements

We have a neighbor with 3 boys, one of which is autistic. He has been throwing rocks and sticks at our rental house. When we moved in there were some holes in the siding that we couldn't explain but the rental company fixed. If any new ones appear under our rental period I don't know if the property manager would just cover that or if it would be our responsibility. We have mentioned this as tactfully as we could to the parents who said they would have a talk with him. However the behavior continues. He also likes to hang out in our front yard right by the garage door in a blind spot as you back out. Mentioned this as well and the parent said he just doesn't have a good sense of danger and that she would try to keep a better eye on him.

What else can we do? I have a feeling this is headed toward a point where we would have to seek damages from them and create a conflict. If your child was doing this what would you like the neighbor to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2016, 07:16 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,253,495 times
How old is this boy? Are they renters, too? If so do they have the same land lord? Is your land lord aware of the situation? I would let them know.

Old 05-26-2016, 07:40 PM

17,303 posts, read 12,239,198 times
No, they're not renters. Guessing around 10? I'm not good at aging kids. We're just here for a year while we check out the area and decide where to buy. Just worried about losing deposit money over damages caused by others.

Old 05-26-2016, 07:47 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,574,870 times
Speak to the parents again and make your observations clear, both the rocks and standing in blind spot. If it doesn't change immediately, speak to your landlord and explain how you've handled it so far.

It is the parent's responsibility to remedy the situation whether their son understands or not.

Old 05-27-2016, 10:46 AM

744 posts, read 2,481,955 times
You also might want to try using a security camera or something to make sure he is the one doing the damage .

Old 05-27-2016, 04:37 PM

1,616 posts, read 1,807,144 times
next time call the police and make them talk with the parents and the kid. if that was me id be outside yelling at the parents asking for mucho dinero and making them and the kid paint and replace my gutters while i was watching tv.

Old 05-29-2016, 08:06 AM

4,053 posts, read 8,253,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papichulo2 View Post
next time call the police and make them talk with the parents and the kid. if that was me id be outside yelling at the parents asking for mucho dinero and making them and the kid paint and replace my gutters while i was watching tv.
Your meltdown would just cause the child to have one, too. Calmness is key here.

Old 05-29-2016, 08:29 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,559,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papichulo2 View Post
Have you dealt much with autism? I'm guessing not, if you aren't clued in to how ineffective this approach would likely be.

Old 05-29-2016, 08:50 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,955,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
Speak to the parents again and make your observations clear, both the rocks and standing in blind spot. If it doesn't change immediately, speak to your landlord and explain how you've handled it so far.
I'd put it in writing and cc the landlord. Make the tone polite but concerned. Document the previous conversation.

Old 05-29-2016, 08:56 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,574,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I'd put it in writing and cc the landlord. Make the tone polite but concerned. Document the previous conversation.
Good ideas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children