Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 05:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,960 times

Advertisements

My 5 year old was recently diagnosed with ADHD and ASD II. His doctor suggested we put him on ADHD medication as well as ABA therapy and OT. I would like to hear from families that have tried all of the above has it worked well? Also my son has a sensory problem with jeans, should I give up on jean pants all together or keep trying them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2016, 06:57 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
I have had many students with sensory issues. If he hates jeans why do you want to keep trying them? There are plenty of cotton pants or fleece pants or nylon running pants or something else that he may feel much better wearing. He may be OK with jeans in a few years or maybe when he is an adult or maybe never. It really is not a big deal.

BTW, my own son, who did not have sensory issues, did not start wearing jeans until he was in middle school or high school. He just preferred cotton pants.

Old 11-19-2016, 09:39 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,596,420 times
What's ASD II?

ETA I know ASD is autism spectrum disorder but the II?

Old 11-20-2016, 07:32 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,231,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
What's ASD II?

ETA I know ASD is autism spectrum disorder but the II?
It's a relatively new change. Since the subcategories of ASD were changed in label (Asperges, PDD-NOS...), types I, II, and III are now diagnosed to explain severity.

Old 11-20-2016, 07:38 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,231,525 times
I believe type II is now what was Aspergers. My son was diagnosed with PDD-NOS (now type III) and we did 2.5 years intensive therapy combined with 20 hours per week preschool/kindergarten with special-ed focus. I can't stress enough how much it has improved, it was worth every moment. He is now functioning high in many spheres of behaviour.

Kids with ASD will always have ASD, they will always exhibit more social communication issues/rigidity, but the therapy helps them learn to cope in a non-ASD world.

Re: clothing
Pick your battles. Uncomfortable clothing is the easiest - sweatpants/shirts with tags removed. Sensory-friebdly clothing also exists on specialty sites. If a kid is upset by tags or buttons, it distracts them from functioning.

Old 11-20-2016, 03:15 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,882,691 times
just a comment on jeans, I wouldn't press it. Many kids don't like jeans. And kids with sensory issues will be totally focused on their discomfort all day, and not be able to focus on other things.

I would put the jeans on the back burner. My son wears sweat or fleece pants and t shirts. No buttons, no tags.

Old 11-20-2016, 06:38 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,506,112 times
I'm also guessing that ASD II means level 2 of severity, but I've never seen anyone write it that way (and I'm a psychologist).

I wouldn't push the jeans. Go ahead and put your child in the clothing that makes him the most comfortable. There are people without sensory issues that won't wear certain types of clothing. We all have preferences.

ABA has the most research backing its effectiveness. It doesn't work for every child, but it works for the majority of kids. I have spent a lot of time working in research labs looking at the effectiveness of ABA, and there are some great results. There are also a few kids who are non responders. Researchers out there are trying to figure out why. (There was a recent blurb about some research suggesting they can use fMRI to see who is more likely to respond to ABA therapy... I'll be following that line of research!). And OT will help with fine motor skills as well as the sensory issues. I have a son with ASD, but we did not have those kinds of services available when he was younger. I wish we had.

I am not an expert in medication, but it's really common to have ADHD and ASD together, and I have worked with many kids on meds for ADHD whose parents have found it really effective. I have no experience of my own with my own son (he doesn't have ADHD).

Old 11-21-2016, 03:03 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,397,340 times
Back in the Paleozoic, prior to there being relatively reliable Dxes for ASD, my bro got a Dx for ADHD-only. They put him on Ritalin. Eventually he went off it. Later he was Dx'ed for "Anxiety" (obvious and typical co-morbidity with ASD) and he was put on "anti Anxiety" meds (still is on them, now approaching age 50). He did not receive the ASD Dx until he was well into his 40s. He now has a noticeable palsy ... not sure if it's due near life long meds, something innate, or some combo of these factors. I personally question use of meds for ASD unless there is some severe symptom that only meds can mitigate. With a Dx that includes both ASD and ADHD, I would question the latter Dx. It may be just ASD. YMMV.

Old 11-22-2016, 03:52 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,759,388 times
ABA therapy and OT have worked very well for us, but we started at a much earlier age. If your son is already 5, then you need to start therapy as soon as possible if you want to see any results.

We have not had to medicate because of the results we got from therapy.

And for goodness sakes, if he doesn't like jeans, just buy different pants. Don't make a problem where there isn't one.

Old 11-26-2016, 10:18 PM

589 posts, read 1,347,525 times
I have two young adult children (19/23). My oldest was diagnosed with ADHD and PDD-NOS, the younger with ADHD. ABA therapy for ASD is wonderful. For the ADHD, the oldest was on meds from 7 years old until he was 14/15. They were a HUGE help for him. The younger one tried 5 different meds. Tablets, capsules, patches, and hated every one.

I'll go along with everyone else on the jeans - Plenty of other clothing options out there, and really, denim is more expensive. My oldest couldn't wear anything that had a button or zipper for years. Lived in sweats and elastic waist twill pants until his mid teens. Not a huge deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children