Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 09:27 PM

733 posts, read 1,927,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie4president View Post
Be careful with the risperdone. My autistic 6 year old son was on it and began having seizure like episodes called oculargyric crisis- from that medicine. It can be permanent too.

the straterra made my son super agressive. we go back friday. i may ask about zoloft...
he is on a *very low dose*. I have been watching him because I have hear things about risperdone. Thanks for the warning though, I always appreciate when others can speak from experience. so far he has done well (it's been about a year, and so far so good)....btw, they are 12 yrs old.

We did take my other son off the strattera already. It was really not working. Seemed to initially, but after just over a week things changed for the worse. He was really not doing well and we took him off.

We are about to try prozac, as the zoloft was working really well for him for a number of years. But when the puberty hit, the med lost it's edge, and we have been looking ever since.

We did try to just take him off completely with nothing, but he was just suffering, hurting himself, and a number of other things...we hope this one works better for him....

Good luck with the Zoloft. I wish it had kept working for him, as there were literally no side effects to it and he was soooo happy.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2009, 02:12 PM

1 posts, read 2,795 times
I am an acupuncturist who works with children with autism. I use a gentle acupressure technique that really helps to calm aggressive behaviors. Many of the parents I've worked with reported seeing positive changes in the their children.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:46 PM

10 posts, read 51,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhut View Post
You have to do what is best for EVERYONE in the family. If her behavior is disrupting everyone else then you can;t feel guilty trying some medicines. My daughter had to find the right meds (which is a "painful" thing...some meds make thins worse) but in the end my daughter can now function in a regualr classroom at school. She used to not be able to ride in a car or leave the house due to sensory overload. But now most people think she is a normal girl (with ocassional brat-like fits or unrational thinking). It has saved us our sane-ness. It has helped a ton. There is no wrong or right because every child is different and every familyis different.
But remember to take care of you...if you can't handle it then it will effect everyone in the family.
Good luck. p.s. if your town has a child neurologist I recommend one of them. If not, then go to a child psychiatrist. BUT you still need some therapies, too. (OT, behavioral, etc).
could u share what medication suited yr daughter? I have a 10 yr old autistic daughter. And she is especially agressive to little children and babies.
She is still in a sp ed school. I have tried the public schools but because of her behaviour we end up pulling her out. Its really stressing me out. She is not v severe so i feel there is more scope for her than she portrays.
Please help.
Social stories sometimes help but now with so many changes in her I think she needs meds too.
Urvashi

Old 05-10-2011, 03:58 PM

10 posts, read 51,860 times
could u share what medication suited yr daughter? I have a 10 yr old autistic daughter. And she is especially agressive to little children and babies.
She is still in a sp ed school. I have tried the public schools but because of her behaviour we end up pulling her out. Its really stressing me out. She is not v severe so i feel there is more scope for her than she portrays.
Please help.
Social stories sometimes help but now with so many changes in her I think she needs meds too.
Urvashi

Old 05-12-2011, 09:25 AM

1 posts, read 2,105 times
Do you have a behavior therapist and language therapist involved? I teach children with autism and thet would be my first move before medication. Medication later if the therapists don't help.

Old 07-20-2013, 07:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,395 times
We use Melatonin at night sometimes. U can get it at Walmart, they have strawberry dissalveables. I get the 3 mg and cut it into 4's and give him a quarter but sometimes a half is necessary. My little guy is 4 years old. It works GREAT!! Use only as needed, not every night. I read it can cause nightmares. And always consult your dr first.

Old 07-21-2013, 06:20 AM

75 posts, read 77,838 times
We tried Straterra first, but it caused my son to be super OCD; he'd sit around making lists and schedules for himself all. day. long. Next, we tried a low dose of Risperidal and it was a God send! The tantrums and aggressiveness are virtually non-existent and he is doing much better in school.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:07 PM

214 posts, read 467,913 times
What can help with transitions is a warning and a 'beeper'... microwave timer or if you have a smartphone dowload a timer app.

Then, you do the 'in 5 minutes when the beeper sounds'' it is time to ........ This puts the control of the transition on to the beepy thing (a neutral party) and not you

My son had a terrible time with transitions and that was the only thing that would get him to make one without a tantrum. Also, when he was little and it was time to leave a place, we would have him do a 'goodbye'... so for example at the playground I would take an additional 20 seconds or so and say 'bye bye swings, bye bye slide etc'

Old 07-29-2013, 06:09 PM

8 posts, read 11,468 times
Speakin as a professional, I wouldn't put any kid on meds under the age of 8... your daughter is to young, I'm telling you, after dealing with children that are on meds, its not the best to see children looking zone out, etc. I would see what triggers her outburst etc... as long as she not harming anyone , I would wait
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children