Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 02:16 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,069,875 times

Advertisements

I can only speak from my own and my daughter's experiences. Medication has saved their school experiences from being the worst thing ever. My oldest was having a terrible RD grade year. The child who loved school and absorbed knowledge like a sponge was crying and not wanting to go to school. She hated her teacher who corrected her to much. She hated her classmates who wouldn't play with her anymore because she was always in trouble and got them in trouble for talking to them during class. We tried Adderal, it worked but was to strong in my opinion. Strattera wasn't worth nothing. Ritalin worked like a charm and leveled her right out. I had my other daughter tested and it worked miracles for her to. Her teachers all know she is on Ritalin but very few have any idea what she is really like without it. At 11, she still needs it as much as she did at 5. With her meds she is a happy productive mostly organized student. Without them she is a sobbing emotional disaster. She can't focus long enough to put on her socks..muchless finish an assignment. Your son might not be nearly as bad as this but just be aware he is also effecting 20 or more other students and their ability to function.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 05:24 PM

10 posts, read 67,386 times
I have an 11 year old son who was taking Concerta last year in 5th grade. It's not so much that he was disruptive as that he was forgetful and zoning out. He had an extremely demanding teacher so I tried the meds to appease her. I did see an improvement with his focusing and completing assignments. Then I took him off the meds over the summer and tried his first year of middle school without it. He is extremely forgetful and it drives me nuts. I have to remind him about every assignment and after it is all completed he still forgets to turn it in. I feel like I am living his life at ever step, I drop him off in the morning and we review what needs to be turned in, then I pick him up and he tells me he forgot. I don't know what else to do but go back to the meds. I like the idea of coffee, I'm going try that first!

Old 04-03-2009, 08:10 PM

563 posts, read 3,743,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okpondlady View Post
I can only speak from my own and my daughter's experiences. Medication has saved their school experiences from being the worst thing ever. My oldest was having a terrible RD grade year. The child who loved school and absorbed knowledge like a sponge was crying and not wanting to go to school. She hated her teacher who corrected her to much. She hated her classmates who wouldn't play with her anymore because she was always in trouble and got them in trouble for talking to them during class. We tried Adderal, it worked but was to strong in my opinion. Strattera wasn't worth nothing. Ritalin worked like a charm and leveled her right out. I had my other daughter tested and it worked miracles for her to. Her teachers all know she is on Ritalin but very few have any idea what she is really like without it. At 11, she still needs it as much as she did at 5. With her meds she is a happy productive mostly organized student. Without them she is a sobbing emotional disaster. She can't focus long enough to put on her socks..muchless finish an assignment. Your son might not be nearly as bad as this but just be aware he is also effecting 20 or more other students and their ability to function.
Er . . no he's not. that is exactly the point. He was an emotional oversensitive depressed mess when he was ON the meds. The class was certainly affected by his misery and irritability more than it is now by the fact that he is a little more talkative and not getting his OWN work done. I am glad that you have found the answer for your child. Medications (we've already tried two at varying levels of dosage) did not work for mine.

As far as I know he is not affecting the rest of the kids 'ability to function'. He's more talkative and isn't getting his work done as fast as he did but in no way is he holding his entire class back. And for heavens sake, he is only 8! If he can learn to control himself in a month or two why should he not be given the chance to do so? Its not as if he is bouncing off the walls, throwing things hitting kids or throwing fits.

I don't give a hoot about his producing excellent work in class (he's a straight A student in the gifted program) but learning self control and discipline without a reliance on medications is something he will need for the rest of his life. It is certainly more important than a worksheet being completed or a project done perfectly in SECOND GRADE!!

Medications work for some kids and more power to you for finding the right one for your child. Personally, I am finished with medicating him for what really does not seem to be a life altering condition anymore.

Old 04-03-2009, 09:46 PM

1,938 posts, read 7,126,349 times
Being an educator (sped teacher) myself, here's my 2 cents:
Please let me know face to face your concerns with meds and your child. I will support your decision and be as supportive as possible to both you and your child. I appreciate the conversation between "you" and I about the topic so I can hear a concerned parent seeking what is best for her child. Its the parents who "forget", are "lazy", or come across as not caring about their child's well being/academic progress when meds are taken that urk me. I do know of teachers who pray that more children are on meds- and what a shame. More often than not, it strips the child of his/her personality.
A concerned loving parent knows their child best. If you communicate with me, I would be willing to try anything you want- coffee in the morning, dietary needs, herbal remedies, behavior plans, etc.
There are other teachers like me out there. I would say give it a shot. Remember we aren't doctors, and we shouldn't advocate drugs. Of course they don't want behavior problems, so offer ways to deal with behavior issues.
I think in the beginning, when the behavior problems present themselves, it might come across that teachers want meds because you hear a lot "have you taken him/her to the doctor?". Personally, when I ask that question, I am seeking more answers than anything- not meds. Give me an idea what I am up against so I don't waste time trying different strategies.
Good luck and I will pray that your teachers/school supports you and your child.

Old 04-04-2009, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggin4colorado View Post
Being an educator (sped teacher) myself, here's my 2 cents:
Please let me know face to face your concerns with meds and your child. I will support your decision and be as supportive as possible to both you and your child. I appreciate the conversation between "you" and I about the topic so I can hear a concerned parent seeking what is best for her child. Its the parents who "forget", are "lazy", or come across as not caring about their child's well being/academic progress when meds are taken that urk me. I do know of teachers who pray that more children are on meds- and what a shame. More often than not, it strips the child of his/her personality.
A concerned loving parent knows their child best. If you communicate with me, I would be willing to try anything you want- coffee in the morning, dietary needs, herbal remedies, behavior plans, etc.
There are other teachers like me out there. I would say give it a shot. Remember we aren't doctors, and we shouldn't advocate drugs. Of course they don't want behavior problems, so offer ways to deal with behavior issues.
I think in the beginning, when the behavior problems present themselves, it might come across that teachers want meds because you hear a lot "have you taken him/her to the doctor?". Personally, when I ask that question, I am seeking more answers than anything- not meds. Give me an idea what I am up against so I don't waste time trying different strategies.
Good luck and I will pray that your teachers/school supports you and your child.
Thank you so much for your response. I think it helped a lot. I believe out teacher this year is one of the most helpful and understanding teachers we have had to date. I will take your advice and ask for a meeting so that we can explain what our plan is and work as a team.
In the past we have had teachers who were not quite so open to his needs and that has made me wary of dealing with the school. You are so right, though, if we have an open dialogue and approach this as a team hopefully we can all support him through this.
I do have a question for you though:
We're in Texas and the state mandated testing will begin next year. The school administration is almost obsessive about the tests and I think that is where we will get the most pressure from. If it takes him longer to complete tests or if he is not as organised initially it does not concern me. I do not think it will last long term. However, the school emphasises production and I am worried that they will have a big problem with his drop in performance. Any advice on how to handle that? Thanks

Old 04-04-2009, 02:22 PM

54 posts, read 181,250 times
I second that you should try behavioral modification. I have found that going to a cognitive behavior therapist has been wonderful. There are referral networks on their official websites that will direct you to people in your area (www.nacbt.org, www.aabt.org). And try to get the teacher to work with you on behavioral support plans in which your son can earn reinforcers for meeting certain targets (and conversely lose them if he doesn't meet them). Good luck!

Old 04-05-2009, 07:32 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
When teachers get to prescribe mind altering meds for students, just to make their job easier it is time to completely rethink what in hell is going on in our education system.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:32 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
When teachers get to prescribe mind altering meds for students, just to make their job easier it is time to completely rethink what in hell is going on in our education system.
Don't worry, teachers are not allowed to prescribe any kind of medicine, mind-altering or otherwise.

Old 04-06-2009, 05:36 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,905,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Ditto what Julia replied to you; in addition, I am not sure that the school district psychologist is allowed to make a diagnosis. That may be a state by state thing, but I remember hearing that the diagnosis has to come from an independent psychologist or MD.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
Ditto what Julia replied to you; in addition, I am not sure that the school district psychologist is allowed to make a diagnosis. That may be a state by state thing, but I remember hearing that the diagnosis has to come from an independent psychologist or MD.
Our school district has diagnosticians on staff. however, if we ever need to have him tested again I would not be comfortable using the school district for that and would do it privately instead.
The school may not be allowed to prescribe medication but they can certainly pressure parents toward it. I can see their point of view if the child is disruptive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children