Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2009, 03:09 PM

10 posts, read 26,209 times

Advertisements

Has anyone heard of this new therapy called, Hemispheric Integration Therapy? I would love to connect with anyone who either knows about it, or would want to know about it, with regards to helping children with autism, or on the spectrum. My little boy is currently doing very well with this therapy...better that he has ever had with the typical traditional therapy. I wish that I would have known about this therapy a long time ago, as we have had many struggles with finding appropriate, and successful therapy. In hopes that there may be others like me, that have found little or no success in the traditional OT...I felt the need to start a thread. I have always felt that if you find something good...you should share...And so...chuckle...I will share....
My 9 year old son is Aspergers, and he had trouble with his Sensory Integration, his fine, and gross motor skills, his Vestibular sense, Pragmatic Language, Social difficulties, and Anxiety coupled with depression. After just about 4 months of Hemispheric Integration Therapy...I have found that most of these problems have virtually disappeared...or are very minimal as far as being problematic in dealing with life.
He couldn't read...and now he's reading. He couldn't write or draw, because he couldn't even hold the pencil with the right grip...but now he is printing out all his letters and numbers, and drawing pictures for mom...like most children do. He is catching a ball now...he never could do that...And...he told a joke the other day: "What kind of tree can you hold in your hand?" Answer: "A palm tree!" He made that up!! So...he is "getting" humor now too.
Anyway...I don't want to get into a "Bragging Session"...but I do want to share the success that this therapy has had with my little boy, and maybe there are other children like him that may be benefited as well. I really hope so.
Sincerely,
ATclarabelle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 01:07 PM

1 posts, read 4,801 times
I have only recently heard about Hemispheric Integration Therapy in the book entitled 'Disconnected Kids.' I have a teenage son with autism and have done several programs with him over the years with some success. This really sounds great and I would love to get further information. Do you know of anyone who does evaluation in northeast PA?
Continued Success !!

Old 10-26-2009, 03:49 PM

10 posts, read 26,209 times
Yes...I just heard that there is a new "Brain Balancing Center" opening just this month in Wayne Pa....I hope that is close to you. I just pulled it up and I will send you the link:
Location & Directions | Brain Balance Achievement Centers

Keep me posted...and I will also ask my doctor if he knows of any other Dr that does this therapy in your area...He is friends with Dr. Mellillo, who wrote Disconnected Kids.

Sincerely, ATclarabelle

Old 08-30-2010, 02:49 PM

1 posts, read 4,017 times
Hello, I saw your post on 10/22/09 and was wondering if since that time if you had any experience with the Brain Balance Center in Wayne, PA? If so I would love to hear from you. Thank you.

Old 08-30-2010, 02:57 PM

45 posts, read 128,365 times
I'm gonna look that up. Traditional therapy doesn't yield the same results for us as it does for so many ASD kiddos. My DS just turned 9. He sounds so much like yours (except he doesn't have Asperger's nor does he struggle with depression). I see your post was awhile ago. Could you update on how your DS is doing? How much is it and how often does he go to therapy?

Old 09-14-2010, 06:43 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,195,777 times
Two words:
Snake.
Oil.

Old 05-20-2014, 05:48 AM

1 posts, read 1,777 times
Default Speech and development delay

I have been doing research on speech and development delay problems in children and came across this therapy on youtube. It is the first time I have ever heard of it, but it sounds interesting. I am from Cape Town, South Africa, and I doubt our occupational therapists practice this here. I have a 4 year old daughter, who reached all her milestones when she was a baby.. such as sitting up, crawling, walking all on time. But did not start speaking. We took her to our GP and he recommended taking her for a development assessment test.

We took her to a speech therapist, and she said she is delayed in her development and speech, in other words her speech and development this that of a child between 1 1/2 and 2 and she is 4. We going for speech therapy twice a week and I am trying to help her here at home too. She will also be going for occupational therapy soon. She did suffer with bouts of ear infection when she was 1 and they say that is what probably has caused the delay in speech and development... I hope this can be reversed and is not a permanent problem and there is nothing else mentally wrong with her, as it is very frustrating when your child of 4 cant talk and I have been guessing what she is wanting for so long.....: It is like having a 2 year old that cant develop any further.....
So if anybody has some more info of this therapy can you email me or has any similar experiences, please reply.
Thanks
Andrea
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children