Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 08:58 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,343,889 times

Advertisements

...and I officially want to move somewhere I can take public transportation to everything...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2010, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
$600 is probably as good as it's going to get. Does that happen to include a set of steel rims so you don't have to un-mount/re-mount tires on rims every season?

I know Discount Tire will match anyone's price on the sale price of the tires. On a recent set of tires I had them install, I saved $40 by bringing in the Tire Rack price including shipping. I got Tire Rack's price along with Discount Tire's instant service -- didn't have to wait for Tire Rack to ship 'em to a shop and then set up an appointment and all that. If they hadn't had 'em in stock though, I'd have just got 'em from Tire Rack, which is what I did for a different set for my other car.
okay....I did it, I have an appointment at Discount Tire. (too bad it's on Friday and we are in the middle of our first snow storm and I have to work in the morning...)

How does the discount work? because it looks like the tires I ordered online from discount tire (not yet paid for) are advertised on their own site for cheaper, just in another area (ohio). I guess though it can be an online source and doesn't have to be in Spokane?

Old 11-21-2010, 10:11 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,275,974 times
I have walked in with a printout of a competitor's price and they matched it instantly. Her is the link to the "certificate" Certificate for Repair, Refund or Replacement - Discount Tire. They also will rotate and balance for the life of the tires and swap out your snow-regular when the seasons change. I don't work for them. I have had good service at Les S. in Rathdrum also.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:20 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,586,370 times
When I lived in Spokane, I drove a 1969 GTO Judge. Rear wheel drive, no ABS, way too much torque for icy roads, too heavy to stop as fast as the cars around me, etc. Pretty much the worst possible car for winter driving. I never once had snow tires on them, and never once wished that I had em. I outfitted that car with Z-class racing tires, and they always worked for me just fine, even through the giant ice storm of 96 or 97, whenever it was.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elousv View Post
I have walked in with a printout of a competitor's price and they matched it instantly. Her is the link to the "certificate" Certificate for Repair, Refund or Replacement - Discount Tire. They also will rotate and balance for the life of the tires and swap out your snow-regular when the seasons change. I don't work for them. I have had good service at Les S. in Rathdrum also.
is the certificate worth the price? I mean, if I want to get my tires swapped at the end of the season but have no other problems with the tires?

Old 11-21-2010, 11:00 PM

I have been buying them ever since the time I ran over a huge spike that went through the sidewall ruining the tire. I have used it over the years. I could not tell you if it has paid for itself overall, but it is just another form of insurance. Some of my tires cost $350 each so it is worth it to me.

Old 11-22-2010, 07:58 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,744,831 times
Personal fan of Les Schwab here. Snow/studded tires make a huge difference. My new Subaru doesn't have them yet and I nearly slid off the road yesterday.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:50 AM

I was sliding around too with a stock Jeep Wrangler, 4WD made it much better. Snow tires going on today!

Old 11-22-2010, 08:56 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Putting the snows on my car today too. The irony is it's supposed to get up close to 70 around here today. But they're talking snow by Friday, and I don't wanna get stuck out there with my summers or I'll just be a great big hockey puck.

Old 11-22-2010, 12:40 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
rgb, are you already in Spokane? If so there *are* used tire outfits there, I know some people have a hissy fit when used tires are mentioned, but I have put used tires on many a rig when money was tight, never had any problem. When someone buys a used car, hey, they generally buy 4 used tires it's riding on, and normally wear them out without issue. It's a better option for somebody who can look at the tire and readily see that there is not any visible damage - it's true that there may be damage that does not show but is still there, anyway all up and down Division there are many tire shops and some do used.

Like I said originally 4 extra wheels with 4 dedicated snows is the cheapest and best in the long run, although it's more money right now.

How are your existing tires? If they are normal all-seasons, and like I described they have enough tread to reach George Washington's head on a quarter, you can probably use them as-is and be OK, real snows would be better of course but financial realities are real as well as physical ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area