Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 07:54 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,344,935 times

Advertisements

Thanks Mitch. My dad actually went to a shop in Illinois (I am in Spokane) to see my current tires and see if they would do. He said no...they already have close to 40,000 miles on them.

They actually did pretty good today compared to the tires my car came with, but I was also the slowest driver of all Spokane today -- side rant - I HATE people who tail gate in this weather, if I'm going 25 I'm going 25 for a reason, I don't trust myself to stop very fast, why do you? -- anyways...I drive a stick shift too, which I think helped at least at stops because I can downshift instead of using my brakes a lot.

I was suprised....Spokane does not remove a lot of snow....we use salt in Illinois and with the amount of snow we had today, I thought there was no reason for so much of it to be on the road...was disappointed. So now I really feel I need the tires...combination of the hills and not so great snow removal. I think I saw some sand which I think helped with traction but I really didn't trust it....lots of accidents and I was getting passed left and right by trucks.

I was thinking about buying used, it's hard just not knowing where to go. I really don't want to spend the cash but have resigned to it now. A very stressful ride home...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Putting the snows on my car today too. The irony is it's supposed to get up close to 70 around here today. But they're talking snow by Friday, and I don't wanna get stuck out there with my summers or I'll just be a great big hockey puck.
I know, I heard about the weather there...

Old 11-22-2010, 08:00 PM

oh....what about 'siping' my friends at work today recommended having it done...

Old 11-23-2010, 05:29 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
I know, I heard about the weather there...
Yep, been crazy this week -- 43-degree drop in the last 12 hours. There were tornadoes up by Rockford and Lake Geneva yesterday; today it's a frost advisory. Go figure. The winter tires that could barely get any grip when I put them on yesterday afternoon will be right at home this morning.

With the weather being so variable in these transition periods, sometimes it's difficult to determine when to swap out the summers for winters and vice-versa. Looks like I nailed the timing just right this time.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:18 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,276,566 times
Quote:
oh....what about 'siping' my friends at work today recommended having it done...
I have winter tires that come siped, it puts a lot more edges to get a better grip. Last night was the first drive in extreme conditions with dedicated snow tires with studs. It felt very sure-footed but it took the "fun" out of sliding around.

Old 11-24-2010, 11:34 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,191,210 times
I, too am a fan of Les Schwab. I always got good service, good prices. I don't know if they still do this, but they used to buy back your tire chains at full price at the end of the winter if you hadn't used them (some winters you won't need them).
I also had my tires siped--seemed to help.

Don't stress too much...it'll be old hat to you before too long.

Old 11-24-2010, 07:47 PM

I kind of want to try les schwab, but I can't find anything online for prices and selection, so that is the main reason I went with Discount Tire over them or Walmart. Discount tire let me put in the make and model of my car, then told me what kind of tires would work, gave a total price and let me setup an appointment.

For someone as intimidated and clueless as me that seems to save me a lot of 'duh' once I get there. lol.

Old 11-25-2010, 01:24 AM

16 posts, read 35,555 times
I've purchased from Les Schwab, Costco, and Discount Tire as well as Tire Factory (Colville). I don't find any of them to be superior but, if I lived in Spokane, I'd probably lean toward Discount Tire more often than not just for their great prices and awesome service. With Les Schwab, the dealer located just to the south of the Discount Tire on N. Division is a good dealer and they've always treated me right. I've been told to get my VW aligned at the one in Deer Park and wasn't particularly impressed with them, but can't really complain either. Costco on N. Division put on four all seasons for our Toyota truck, Kirkland Sig. brand, and the tires are still doing great showing little if any signs of wear. I've hauled some seriously heavy loads on them too. Yes, it's a Toyota, but I've got air bags on the rear axle so it can haul some serious weight.

I like Costco for their helium, but not for their slow service with only a few bays and their policy of only putting on tires sized from the car manufacturer is stupid since I run different size wheels on my car depending upon the season. So I bought the truck's winter studded tires from Colville Tire Factory. They're good for ice and compact snow, but not so great for fluffy deep dry snow like what we're getting over the next few days. I've got tires made in Finland on my VW (Nokian), all four are studded, and put them on just two days ahead of this sudden decent into winter last week. After driving on them for the first time today, I have to say, I'm glad I went with them even if they are more expensive -they rock. I'm very sure-footed with them on, and this is a FWD car I'm talking about and I drive around 17 miles on compact snow/ice before hitting bare pavement when I head into Colville to shop. We live up in the mountains. One thing I'd advise living here, make it a habit to get your car aligned at least once a year. Spokane streets will tear your front end up a bit during the spring thaw before the road dept. gets a chance to fill in the pot holes. May might be a good month to do this.

Old 11-25-2010, 12:30 PM

well okay, I'm learning too late.

I know a few of you mentioned tire rack. You should have posted color coded directions for me and direct web links a few pages back!

Here is what is confusing me. When I go to discount tire's website the Blizzaks do not come up as an option for my car.

When I go to Tire Rack they DO come up as an option for my car. Discount Tire has the Blizzaks that I'd like but it looks like they are contradicting the recommendations from discount tire...

and yes, tire rack has the better price. So I think I'd like to get the blizzaks from discount tire (if they have them in stock, cause I can't wait another week) and for the better price, but not sure they will install them on my car?

yes I know this may be a more complicated question, but it's Thanksgiving and I can't call them!

Old 11-26-2010, 06:22 PM

93 posts, read 330,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
When I lived in Spokane, I drove a 1969 GTO Judge. Rear wheel drive, no ABS, way too much torque for icy roads, too heavy to stop as fast as the cars around me, etc. Pretty much the worst possible car for winter driving. I never once had snow tires on them, and never once wished that I had em. I outfitted that car with Z-class racing tires, and they always worked for me just fine, even through the giant ice storm of 96 or 97, whenever it was.
Bear in mind this statement comes from a login name for the Greek personification of death.

Xanatos = Thanatos = Death

Quote:
If you buy snow tires, you don't need to get 'em siped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area