Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2014, 04:31 PM

692 posts, read 3,141,484 times

Advertisements

Does anybody here have any Serious Concerns about the latest info comming out on the New Faults and the earthquake activity in Spokane ??

How has it affected the Hayden and CDA areas in comparrison?

These have been shallow quakes and therefore more potential for damage.

SF
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 03:55 PM

1,989 posts, read 2,534,782 times
New threat? New Fault Line? Do you have a link or anything providing the information you are referencing?

Earthquakes happen all the time just about everywhere, but Spokane has not typically had real bad ones.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:14 PM

Just Google,

Recent Spokane Washington Earthquakes.. for starters

Old 01-06-2014, 08:30 PM

85 posts, read 142,403 times
I think it is realistically a non player. However...I have already heard rumbling of "improved" building codes and increased hoi rates based on the outcomes of the study, so some hear cash registers...

Old 01-07-2014, 11:25 AM

"Or they may not. There are numerous reasons for magnetic anomalies that do not include earthquake faults, the USGS said"

"Brian Sherrod of the USGS said the Spokane area likely had not had a major earthquake in thousands of years"

No serious concerns at all for me.

Old 01-07-2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aplcr0331 View Post
"Or they may not. There are numerous reasons for magnetic anomalies that do not include earthquake faults, the USGS said"

"Brian Sherrod of the USGS said the Spokane area likely had not had a major earthquake in thousands of years"

No serious concerns at all for me.

Some Quakes are random ... others come in Cycles.
Some quakes are shallow and others deep.
Some last 5-20 seconds and some last much longer not counting the unpredictable aftershocks.

Take the Cascadia Quake history for instance.
A Monster Quake estimated to be 9.0 to 9.2 magnatude approx. every 300 + or - years.
Initial shock lasting up to 5 minutes.
Heavy aftershocks lasting for months.
They have the studies and proof to prove it.

Almost the whole West Coast of the United States is at Serious Risk as we have now hit the 300 year mark in 2000.
The news media is finally starting to talk about it and urging citizens to prepare.
I am not sure what that means if it hits at 2:00 am.
My findings show that by far most people are in denial on this subject and most all have never experienced such a catastrophe.

Spokane is totally separate from the Seattle Cascadia event but Large Shallow quakes can cause a lot of damage and that at 1rst glance appears to be what could possibly happen in the Spokane areas.

Further more Spokane has never had building codes that would sustain a heavy quake event.
Even Seattle which is in the Bulls Eye of the "Big One" does not have adaquate building codes.
I wonder how many homes in the Spokane area even have their foundations correctly bolted to the framing structure, a minimum requirement.
Think of the Losses that could occur just from uninsured home owners that find their houses bounced off the foundation. A shallow 6 magnatude 15-30 second event could change everything.

I'm not trying to scare people but if you have never experienced a substatial Earth Quake then you really have no idea of what could happen to your current lifestyle.

SF

Old 01-07-2014, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
Some Quakes are random ... others come in Cycles.
Some quakes are shallow and others deep.
Some last 5-20 seconds and some last much longer not counting the unpredictable aftershocks.

Take the Cascadia Quake history for instance.
A Monster Quake estimated to be 9.0 to 9.2 magnatude approx. every 300 + or - years.
Initial shock lasting up to 5 minutes.
Heavy aftershocks lasting for months.
They have the studies and proof to prove it.

Almost the whole West Coast of the United States is at Serious Risk as we have now hit the 300 year mark in 2000.
The news media is finally starting to talk about it and urging citizens to prepare.
I am not sure what that means if it hits at 2:00 am.
My findings show that by far most people are in denial on this subject and most all have never experienced such a catastrophe.

Spokane is totally separate from the Seattle Cascadia event but Large Shallow quakes can cause a lot of damage and that at 1rst glance appears to be what could possibly happen in the Spokane areas.

Further more Spokane has never had building codes that would sustain a heavy quake event.
Even Seattle which is in the Bulls Eye of the "Big One" does not have adaquate building codes.
I wonder how many homes in the Spokane area even have their foundations correctly bolted to the framing structure, a minimum requirement.
Think of the Losses that could occur just from uninsured home owners that find their houses bounced off the foundation. A shallow 6 magnatude 15-30 second event could change everything.

I'm not trying to scare people but if you have never experienced a substatial Earth Quake then you really have no idea of what could happen to your current lifestyle.

SF
I lived through the Landers Quake in SoCal along with the Ludlow Quake. Both were above 7 on the R scale, so I know how scary a quake can be. Most recently when I lived in Maryland and the largest Quake in 100 years hit the East Coast. My youngest Son was convinced his older brother was playing a trick on him by making the house move. My wife slept threw that quake, but was scared out of her mind for the Ludlow Quake, since we lived out in the desert at the time.

If it comes on the radar, I'll check in with the Scientists at USGS and skip what the talking heads in the media say.

I'll have to check my house, it was built in 1958, to see if we are up to code for earthquakes.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:03 PM

206 posts, read 333,285 times
The fact a seismic fault runs right through the heart of Spokane should be cause for serious concern to anyone living on or near the line. Scientists have closely monitored the area since it was hit by a series of earthquakes in 2001, only recently divulging the existence of such a fault. How it could potentially effect CDA should also be brought to their attention.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:25 PM

75 posts, read 104,384 times
Default Earthquakes Vs. Forest Fires, Flooding, Hurricanes

There are natural disasters that could happen just about anywhere you live. I survived a major forest fire this summer and I will take a few quakes any day to running from a burning inferno! I admit I did not enjoy being on the 19th floor of a hotel during an earthquake in the San Diego area. However, you can't live your life on what if this occurs? Missouri has tornadoes and Florida has hurricanes. So find out where the fault line runs and don't buy a house on top of it!

Old 01-13-2014, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyDonna View Post
There are natural disasters that could happen just about anywhere you live. I survived a major forest fire this summer and I will take a few quakes any day to running from a burning inferno! I admit I did not enjoy being on the 19th floor of a hotel during an earthquake in the San Diego area. However, you can't live your life on what if this occurs? Missouri has tornadoes and Florida has hurricanes. So find out where the fault line runs and don't buy a house on top of it!

I Agree to a certain point... But,

You will likely have some kind of Warning Window with most other disaster events.

Humans like many animals in danger Pause to assess what their next move will be.

You then have to make a decision as to what you will do and when you will do it.

A Big Earthquake gives No Warning.

At First Sign .. Your commited to the Outcome.

You need to seriously think about it BEFORE the Event.

SF
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
View detailed profiles of: