Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 11:55 PM

3 posts, read 7,953 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a nice family oriented place to move to and am so overwhelmed of what I see on zillow, Redfin, trulia etc... I've seen some old positive and negative feedbacks online on Spokane but want to get a recent real opinions on the area. Nine mile falls looks very attractive with our budget and looks like it's what we're looking for (land, nice big house, water, trails, good school) can anyone give me any feedbacks? I'm asian and my husband is Mexican and we have 2 biracial kids. Down socal that's nothing/normal but since I've never been to WA, I'm kinda skeptic. I see majority are white and I know we're gonna pop out in the area but I race wouldn't matter would it? I just don't want to get stared at or my kids being mistreated as I want to find a good place with good education for them. The cost of living out here is ridiculous. My budget is about 300k home with land. I am open to all cities in Washington so if you know of any nice family oriented area, let me know. Oh and I'd like privacy but not deep in the wood privacy. I would like some nice neighbors to say hi to once in awhile Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 08:21 AM

1,989 posts, read 2,536,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californiaperson View Post
I am looking for a nice family oriented place to move to and am so overwhelmed of what I see on zillow, Redfin, trulia etc... I've seen some old positive and negative feedbacks online on Spokane but want to get a recent real opinions on the area. Nine mile falls looks very attractive with our budget and looks like it's what we're looking for (land, nice big house, water, trails, good school) can anyone give me any feedbacks? I'm asian and my husband is Mexican and we have 2 biracial kids. Down socal that's nothing/normal but since I've never been to WA, I'm kinda skeptic. I see majority are white and I know we're gonna pop out in the area but I race wouldn't matter would it? I just don't want to get stared at or my kids being mistreated as I want to find a good place with good education for them. The cost of living out here is ridiculous. My budget is about 300k home with land. I am open to all cities in Washington so if you know of any nice family oriented area, let me know. Oh and I'd like privacy but not deep in the wood privacy. I would like some nice neighbors to say hi to once in awhile Thanks!
Nine Mile Falls is great, you're especially close to the river and Riverside State Park. There are a lot of trails through the park, walking and biking are abundant and the Bowl & Pitcher area is a site to see especially when the spring runoff starts. Amazing. There is a Bald Eagle in the area, me and my boys were walking across the suspension bridge and she came out to hunt. The suspension bridge is pretty high and as she continued on her flight path she glided by us at no more than 10 feet above our heads. It was one of the most amazing things I have ever seen. My boys still talk about that day as well!

Here in Spokane we don't care about your race or what kinds of kids you have. We like that you seem to share a common bond with loving the outdoors, are a (potential) home owner, and are a good person yourself. Your kids will do fine. It's certainly not perfect here, but the question to you is; Can you stand to be around a bunch of white people?

Also, I'm not sure if you are aware of this but we are in the "North". About an hour and a half from Canada. So, expect some winter weather. Like snow and ice. Millions of people live in this area and do OK, but if you are expecting 10 months of rain like Seattle, we actually have 4 seasons here.

And most of all, it depends on YOUR attitude. If you are a whiner who sees the glass have empty and broken then Spokane is not for you. If you have a positive outlook, like to try new things, are open to being surrounded by disgusting white people, enjoy the outdoors then this place is great.

Not the best, not perfect, but very good none the less. A great place to raise kids, lots of great events in the area.

Good luck, moving is hard.

Last edited by aplcr0331; 02-10-2014 at 08:51 AM..

Old 02-10-2014, 12:04 PM

Thanks aplcr0331!! I love crazy! Haha. I would love to see a bald eagle in real life! That must've been really nice! Race is not an issue for me. I am very well rounded. Where I live now is majority white people! I think I'm the only Asian in the neighborhood but my neighbors are awesome! My thing I'm scared of buying a home and end up having some weird loud people as neighbors and I'm stuck. I've seen pictures of Spokane and think it's beautiful! My sister has been to Seattle and says in nice and beautiful. I asked if it's like LA and she said not even close. Then again, she's weird herself so I don't know if I can trust her judgements. My main concern is the safety for my family. Do you have any particular nice cities in mind? Doesn't have to be Spokane. My husband was looking at tumwater as well. Any feedbacks there?

Old 02-10-2014, 12:56 PM

1,989 posts, read 2,536,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californiaperson View Post
Thanks aplcr0331!! I love crazy! Haha. I would love to see a bald eagle in real life! That must've been really nice! Race is not an issue for me. I am very well rounded. Where I live now is majority white people! I think I'm the only Asian in the neighborhood but my neighbors are awesome! My thing I'm scared of buying a home and end up having some weird loud people as neighbors and I'm stuck. I've seen pictures of Spokane and think it's beautiful! My sister has been to Seattle and says in nice and beautiful. I asked if it's like LA and she said not even close. Then again, she's weird herself so I don't know if I can trust her judgements. My main concern is the safety for my family. Do you have any particular nice cities in mind? Doesn't have to be Spokane. My husband was looking at tumwater as well. Any feedbacks there?
Tumwater is over nearer to Olympia, I'm not too familiar with it. Certain areas of Spokane have higher than the national average amount of crime. We have quite a Meth problem in this area and Meth people commit a lot of property crime. Liberty Lake and Cheney both outlying areas of Spokane (LL is a Burb, Cheney is a small College town 15 miles west) are rated in the top 50 safest cities in Washington state.

Ideally you would need to pick a few places in the state and then go visit those places to make a good observation.

*Just don't come to Spokane in the winter, its one of the ugliest cities I've ever lived in with the gray dirty snow and half plowed streets. Embarrassing. Come in the Spring, especially during spring runoff and experience the outdoors, it's fantastic. I'm about to go outside and snow blow 4" snow from my driveway and it is continuing to fall.

Seattle doesn't look so bad to me right now!

Old 02-10-2014, 02:16 PM

I've read about the "meth zombies" and some say that it's people blowing out of proportion. I think drug is an issue regardless where you go. Of course is prefer to stay far away from it as possible. I may possibly take a vaca up there in the spring time. My daughter wants a horse and we wanted to look for a place with enough land for that and a stable. Falling snow is pretty but I can only imagine the constant clean up. I'd probably go crazy with that there. Haha. Thanks so much for your help! I will look at the places you mentioned

Old 03-15-2015, 07:17 PM

67 posts, read 156,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplcr0331 View Post
Nine Mile Falls is great, you're especially close to the river and Riverside State Park. There are a lot of trails through the park, walking and biking are abundant and the Bowl & Pitcher area is a site to see especially when the spring runoff starts. Amazing. There is a Bald Eagle in the area, me and my boys were walking across the suspension bridge and she came out to hunt. The suspension bridge is pretty high and as she continued on her flight path she glided by us at no more than 10 feet above our heads. It was one of the most amazing things I have ever seen. My boys still talk about that day as well!

Here in Spokane we don't care about your race or what kinds of kids you have. We like that you seem to share a common bond with loving the outdoors, are a (potential) home owner, and are a good person yourself. Your kids will do fine. It's certainly not perfect here, but the question to you is; Can you stand to be around a bunch of white people?

Also, I'm not sure if you are aware of this but we are in the "North". About an hour and a half from Canada. So, expect some winter weather. Like snow and ice. Millions of people live in this area and do OK, but if you are expecting 10 months of rain like Seattle, we actually have 4 seasons here.

And most of all, it depends on YOUR attitude. If you are a whiner who sees the glass have empty and broken then Spokane is not for you. If you have a positive outlook, like to try new things, are open to being surrounded by disgusting white people, enjoy the outdoors then this place is great.

Not the best, not perfect, but very good none the less. A great place to raise kids, lots of great events in the area.

Good luck, moving is hard.
You will run into a lot of closed mindedness and cliquishness in Spokane. Try Seattle.

Old 03-17-2015, 10:07 AM

3 posts, read 3,629 times
Hi there,

Take a look at Bend, Oregon. I have a friend who lives there with her Mexican husband and two young daughters. They absolutely LOVE it.

Good luck!

Old 03-21-2015, 09:46 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerose View Post
You will run into a lot of closed mindedness and cliquishness in Spokane. Try Seattle.
Right. No cliques or close-minded people in Seattle.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WRK03q76GKU

Old 03-27-2015, 12:29 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 220or221 View Post
Move to Seattle it's more like Cali
Minus sun.

Old 04-24-2015, 07:34 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,849,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 220or221 View Post
Move to Seattle it's more like Cali
But so is the insane cost-of-living that they are trying to escape,plus anyone even thinking of moving to Seattle or Portland,OR needs to be aware of~Full-Rip 9.0: The Next Big Earthquake in the Pacific Northwest

http://www.amazon.com/Full-Rip-9-0-E...9882221&sr=1-1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area