Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2015, 01:12 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times

Advertisements

We will be passing through my favorite city in the world in early June.

We will have enough time to eat breakfast and visit the falls. I need suggestions as to where to eat breakfast with a wife and three kids (of varied ages).

TIA.

Old 05-12-2015, 07:17 AM

1,793 posts, read 1,442,264 times
1. Franks Diner (on 2nd, try to sit next to the "Conductor")
2. Waffles Plus (on Monroe).

Best place to see the falls is the Pedestrian bridge behind the Red Lion Hotel at the Park. Also drive over to Shields Park on Up River Drive and cross the road to the Damn there. You can throw rocks into the river and feel the spray when the damn is opened. I've been going there to climb the rocks, explore the trails, and watch the river for over 35 years.

Travel safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 07:59 AM

1,010 posts, read 4,912,436 times
You could also try visiting Yards for breakfast in Kendall Yards, as I'm sure you haven't seen all that's going on in there since you left. It's just on the north side of the river - easy access off Monroe.

Old 05-12-2015, 05:49 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
I don't know about family-friendly, but the place for an adult breakfast is Sam and Dom's Tavern on east Sprague across the street from Best Buy Surplus. Sam and Don are long gone from the days when this was the second-most-popular hangout near the old Playfair racetrack (The Flame down the street was, of course, the preferred oasis). The owner is now Dave, a Taiwanese-American fellow with a knack for the slightly-seamy-but-still-relatively-wholesome side of life. Sort of a Tom Waits-style ambience.

Whisky-voiced barmaids who have seen better days, big wholesome American breakfasts with free coffee refills, punchcards staring you in the face as you mop up your eggs and hash with biscuit remnants, ubiquitous bottles of red and green Tabasco, and a grizzled crew of regulars starting off another bleary bout of drankin with the only protein they'll see all day...

Sounds counterintuitive hipster-wise. But you'll get to experience a lifestyle that is not only disappearing today --- hell, it's been disappearing since FDR was President! Nothing if not gentle and compassionate in the disinfecting light of day, Sam and Dom's will feed you and send you on your way grateful for who you are and what you have.

Old 05-13-2015, 08:36 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,272,247 times
Old European. I've been to the one on Division a couple of times, and it's pretty good. But the one in Pullman was a staple during college.

Old 05-15-2015, 07:43 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,085,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
Old European. I've been to the one on Division a couple of times, and it's pretty good. But the one in Pullman was a staple during college.
I'll second this. Love the Rube Goldberg orange juice machine, you put oranges in one side and get juice and what's left of the oranges out the other. The OJ is as fresh as you can get. Great food. Either egg dishes or pancakes, both are excellent. Location is not out of the way either.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:37 AM

216 posts, read 1,006,829 times
I second Frank's on Maple and 2nd, as well as Old European's on N. Division. If I try to go to Frank's and it's too busy, I head to Jenny's which is a half block east of Frank's on 2nd. They're still pretty good and usually easier to get in and out of.

If you're out in the valley, try the Cottage Cafe on Sprague, a little east of where it crosses under I-90. Admittedly I haven't had their breakfast, but their lunches are fantastic so I'm sure the breakfast is just as good!

Old 06-03-2015, 04:27 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Yo, David --- Maybe the Rocket Bakery on First Ave?

Rocket Bakery

Old 06-05-2015, 11:26 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
http://www.city-data.com/forum/39903803-post52.html

Thanks everybody!

Old 06-05-2015, 02:39 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,272,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Nice write-up. I agree with everything. Especially the part about the Mariners. I think they've won once in all the games I've been to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area