Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2016, 04:12 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times

Advertisements

The first really nice day of the year. Sunshine, temperature well above freezing, the river roaring and rolling with the start of the spring runoff. I wandered around for a while. I used to walk through the park on my way to work every morning, and then on my way home every evening, for years and years. Don't get downtown much any more, though.

I strolled past the place just west of the park where Sherman Alexie pontificated on how white men don't love their mothers, and had his words carved in stone at public expense.

I walked across the little bridge near the carousel, up the hill, and past the forlorn ice rink.

Then I found myself at the Vietnam memorial, and remembered this:

Vietnam War Battle of Bu Dop

and this:

Battle Of An My - Danger Forward Magazine Article - Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History

and these men:

Sergeant Bert Carter
SP/4 Fred Haas
Doc Hook
Sergeant Bernard Ryan
Sergeant Adcock Kingsberry

All we really have is our memories. I hope -- I trust -- that yours are better than mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2016, 09:56 AM

2,136 posts, read 2,312,980 times
Good grief, Yeledaf! You start on such a bright note then rapidly descend into melancholy. I hope things brighten up for you ASAP!

I happened to catch a Vietnam war documentary on the The History channel, yesterday. Always a very sad thing when war is the discussion.

My father's father cried over his memories of experience in WWII until the day he died at 95yo, he was only ever able to tell me just enough for me to imagine what it may have been like when the USS Cushing was torpedoed out from under him and his crew mates at the battle of Guadalcanal.

I have a great deal of respect for military service men and women, past and present, former and active.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area