Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2020, 01:42 AM

5 posts, read 3,838 times

Advertisements

So, I live in Northern California. It continues to burn every year, plus the poor air quality and rolling power outages. I want to move to Washington.

The issue is I have a disabled adult daughter that I need to find residential housing for. She is severe profound in a wheelchair and has the mental age of 6-18 months old. I am 57 and my husband is 67, we are older and had to place her here in California close to where we live. We were always seeing her and bringing her home (We have conservatorship over her).

Of course with the current Covid situation we can't see her except for talking to her through a closed window. I am looking for a better place for her in North Eastern Washington. Specifically above Spokane but not in Spokane. I have been reviewing cities such as Mead, Nine Mile Falls and Deer Park which has Adult Homes. The problem is there is very little data on how good these facilities are. I have a website that shows me their license and any write-ups but it really does not tell how good the place is.

I want to live in the same area that she is in so I can still be part of her life. I am desperate to get her and myself and my husband out of California and into a better place in Washington. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

P.S Me and my husband are retired military. My husband is retired and I am a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (Licensed in California only). Any hints on gaining licensing in Washington would also be appreciated.

Thank you in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2020, 12:44 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu Ann View Post
So, I live in Northern California. It continues to burn every year, plus the poor air quality and rolling power outages.

Spokane also burns every year and has smoke issues and rolling power outages, sometimes lasting a couple of weeks.

I don't know about residential care. The only thing you can realistically do is to make appointments and visit several of them.

You probably don't care, but as a local resident, I don't appreciate it that you've paid your taxes to California all of your life, yet expect the taxpayers in Washington to take over the expenses of caring for your daughter. Just so you will know what it is about if you meet with some resentment when you arrive in Washington.

Old 10-18-2020, 01:17 PM

I appreciate your thoughts. I was actually active duty military when I had my daughter. I have been to several states that I was stationed by the military to include Georgia, Mississippi, Ohio and even South Korea.
I took the assignment to South Korea so that I could get my daughter to the best state for disabilities that I could at the time California was ranked high on the list for people with special needs. California is not my home state as I have been all over the place since joining the military at age 18. I was stationed in California by the military and retired in 2009 after serving in Iraq.

I stayed in the military so that my daughter would have medical care as she is still considered a dependent and has military tricare insurance. When people ask where I am from I draw a blank because I was born in Indiana but left for the military at 18 so after 26 years of service I feel I am from no particular place.

Old 10-18-2020, 07:03 PM

162 posts, read 204,495 times
Dear Lulu Ann, I cannot help with the best facilities, but maybe visiting them would help to put you at ease. Spokane area is quite small, so even if you find a place for your daughter which is north of Spokane and you live let's say in the Valley, you still will be 20ish min away.

Here is the link to the Department of Health credentialing department. You can find more info there regarding licensing and transferring your license here.
https://www.doh.wa.gov/LicensesPermi...wReneworUpdate

Good luck with the move and Welcome to Eastern Washington <3

Old 10-19-2020, 08:34 AM

89 posts, read 47,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Spokane also burns every year and has smoke issues and rolling power outages, sometimes lasting a couple of weeks.

I don't know about residential care. The only thing you can realistically do is to make appointments and visit several of them.

You probably don't care, but as a local resident, I don't appreciate it that you've paid your taxes to California all of your life, yet expect the taxpayers in Washington to take over the expenses of caring for your daughter. Just so you will know what it is about if you meet with some resentment when you arrive in Washington.
I thought you lived in Idaho? Why are you paying taxes to Washington?
I’ve lived in the area for twenty years and in Spokane for five. I’ve never heard of, nor experienced a rolling power outage here.
We have power outages, for sure. But mostly from wind storms or other weather events.
As an actual Spokane resident, I sincerely don’t believe that the OP will meet with any resentment and we do have smoke issues and wildfires in various areas but Spokane doesn’t burn.
Don’t be so dramatic.

Old 10-19-2020, 09:14 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,499,383 times
oregonwoodsmoke lives in...wait for it....Oregon.

Doesn't he? Or perhaps...she?

Old 10-19-2020, 11:01 AM

89 posts, read 47,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
oregonwoodsmoke lives in...wait for it....Oregon.

Doesn't he? Or perhaps...she?
No. She lives in north Idaho.

Old 10-19-2020, 09:11 PM

I really appreciate the responses. Thank you so much for all the information. I will check the Washington Board for licensing and will update as I go along. Many thanks

Sincerely,

Washington Bound

Old 11-22-2020, 11:20 AM

1,935 posts, read 3,144,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

What a very unnecessary and disrespectful reply to someone seeking advice for her disabled daughter!! Obviously from your stupid and ignorant answer you have no idea what its like to have to care for someone who's disabled. What right do you have to judge someone you don't even know. A veteran at that!! What the hell you do for America besides run your mouth here on CD???? You don't even live in the state so why come here to harass people. You must live a boring lonely life and must not get out of your own area much!!

What do you care where we paid our taxes. We paid them just like any other American does and being that this is AMERICA we have the right and freedom of choice to live wherever and do whatever we feel like. I also came to this forum to get an idea of what its like living in the Spokane area for retired people and I have to find stupid comments like this. Obviously you have no education and too much time on your hands!!

Old 11-29-2020, 10:21 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Also consider small towns south of Spokane Valley. Rockford, Fairfield, Tekoa... Iirc there are some nice small community care centers. I have found the staff and community support and engagement very strong in agrarian communities. (Farmers don't move often and often care for each other.

I looked into a few of these while doing 32 yrs of eldercare for a disabled parent. Much thanks to Wa State Veterans Home (Retsil and Orting). I would validate options for dependants, as they covered spouses too. (These are closer to Tacoma... not near Spokane. But there may be options or referrals near Spokane. I have connections with a very long term homeless shelter in Spokane, so can ask for referrals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area