Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 02:48 PM

50 posts, read 145,369 times

Advertisements

So in a couple of months I plan to move to Spokane. I've been reading posts about other people also planning to move to Spokane, but non of the info that I need.

A little about my cituation/What I Need:

I am a 19 year old female from southern california planning and wanting to move to Spokane. I have family in Couer D' Alene, ID and as beautiful as it is, it's a bit to rural for my liking. So I figure Spokane would be a nice place to try. I will be living by myself with the exception of my
Chihuahua and plan to get one more when I move. I want to work as a legal assistant or receptionist for a company full time, while I get my diploma as a court report from an online college.

I fell in love with the area since the first time I visited CDA and loved WA ever since. My main question is where do you guys suggest I should live? I don't need to worry about schools, so that isin't an issue. My biggest consern is my saftey, especially after living in a "bubble" here at my hometown where practically no crime happens I don't want a complete culture shock. I want it to be relativley close to businesses. And I don't mind diverisity as I am very much used to it, and almost perfer it. And a practically all white town, even though I myself am white, would be very much a shock to me as that is something that I am not used to. But my biggest and all concern is saftey. And I would plan on living in appartment at which pricing perferbably no more thaan $500.

Any info please let me know.

Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2008, 05:07 PM

1,010 posts, read 4,913,202 times
Tracy - You might want to consider sharing an apartment or house with someone instead of finding a low priced apt. on your own, which would probably be in not too nice of an area or would be a really yucky place to live. You could probably find something in a nicer area by sharing the rent with someone. Our local Spokane craigslist is very active with listings that could work for you. Good luck! If you find something that you're not sure about the area, just put up another post and some of us locals will help you decide whether or not you should live there.

Old 11-15-2008, 05:24 PM

Thank You, Wendy, i will deffientley consider, that I had been also looking at Medical Lake's appartment's how is that area, I saw there are schools, so i guess schools=kids=safe, I would probably have to commute some for when I find a job. And of course, i'm not looking to move at this moment, but i've been serching and researching, and this is an ad for a medical lake appartment that i found on your guys' craigslist http://spokane.craigslist.org/apa/900172965.html (broken link) if you know about that area, should i try to look for appartments there when i'm officially ready to move

Old 11-15-2008, 06:04 PM

I have just researched the top 20 mid-size safest places to live, and Richland-Kennewick-Pasco WA was the 18th safest, so as far as safe wise, do i want to look there? And if you have any idea as far as jobs/businesses go there? Or anything about that place would help, because as much as i would like spokane, it may not be suitable, i dont know though, but i need to decide where i'm going to live soon

Old 11-15-2008, 09:33 PM

1,010 posts, read 4,913,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy_M_L View Post
Thank You, Wendy, i will deffientley consider, that I had been also looking at Medical Lake's appartment's how is that area, I saw there are schools, so i guess schools=kids=safe, I would probably have to commute some for when I find a job. And of course, i'm not looking to move at this moment, but i've been serching and researching, and this is an ad for a medical lake appartment that i found on your guys' craigslist Nice One Bedroom Apartment (http://spokane.craigslist.org/apa/900172965.html - broken link) if you know about that area, should i try to look for appartments there when i'm officially ready to move
I don't get out to Medical Lake too often, but it's considered to be a small rural town, so you shouldn't have much to worry about other than the fact that there's not much to do right there in Medical Lake. You'd probably spend a lot of time driving into town for activities other than hanging out at home and playing with your doggies. It is nice to be so close to the lake that you can walk to it easily. The other thing that's nice about renting is that you're not committed to staying there for longer than 6 months to a year. If you decide you want to move somewhere else after you get settled into a new job, you can do that within not too long of a time period.

Old 11-15-2008, 10:43 PM

Quote:
I don't get out to Medical Lake too often, but it's considered to be a small rural town, so you shouldn't have much to worry about other than the fact that there's not much to do right there in Medical Lake. You'd probably spend a lot of time driving into town for activities other than hanging out at home and playing with your doggies. It is nice to be so close to the lake that you can walk to it easily. The other thing that's nice about renting is that you're not committed to staying there for longer than 6 months to a year. If you decide you want to move somewhere else after you get settled into a new job, you can do that within not too long of a time period.
Then I guess Med Lake would be a no since I don't want to rural of a city, and I think I might be deciding to move to Denver Colorado, as it seems to have more of a younger life style because of the people more my age, so that could provide some dating services, and the crime seems to be much less there too. But as you said, renting is great we can move around if we don't really like where we are living.

Old 11-16-2008, 09:13 AM

438 posts, read 1,797,363 times
Quote:
I have just researched the top 20 mid-size safest places to live, and Richland-Kennewick-Pasco WA was the 18th safest, so as far as safe wise, do i want to look there? And if you have any idea as far as jobs/businesses go there? Or anything about that place would help, because as much as i would like spokane, it may not be suitable, i dont know though, but i need to decide where i'm going to live soon
I have relatives in the Tri-cities. Their one complaint about the area is that there's not much to do. I think it's also different from Spokane/CDA in extreme temperatures and just not as "pretty" an area. If you love Spokane area, the Tri-cities might be a bit of a compromise.
One consideration besides safety should be how easy it's going to be to get a job. The markets are down everywhere. You shouldn't expect to be able to find one too easily. There may be quite a few people with more experience trying to get the same sorts of positions.
Another reason to stick to Spokane is that you'll have family nearby. Honestly, that can't be beat. I would hate to move to a new area without someone who loves me within an hour's drive just in case! :~) D

Old 11-16-2008, 10:52 AM

Quote:
have relatives in the Tri-cities. Their one complaint about the area is that there's not much to do. I think it's also different from Spokane/CDA in extreme temperatures and just not as "pretty" an area. If you love Spokane area, the Tri-cities might be a bit of a compromise.
One consideration besides safety should be how easy it's going to be to get a job. The markets are down everywhere. You shouldn't expect to be able to find one too easily. There may be quite a few people with more experience trying to get the same sorts of positions.
Another reason to stick to Spokane is that you'll have family nearby. Honestly, that can't be beat. I would hate to move to a new area without someone who loves me within an hour's drive just in case! :~) D
Hmmmm that is very true, I may reconsdier spokane then, how often does it snow there, i'm hoping for it to snow a lot during the seasons. And how is it during the other season's I had looked up the posts on Denver CO, and people are saying how dry it is there and no trees. What kind of income do you think one person can live off up there

Old 11-18-2008, 09:33 AM

231 posts, read 1,081,729 times
The amount of snow varies from winter to winter. Last winter Spokane had the more snow than any year in the last 50. Some winters, however, there are a handful of good snowfalls but it warms up enough that snow may only stick around for a couple weeks at a time. At minimum there will be a few good snowfalls every year.

In terms of climate, Spokane has four true seasons and is probably comparable to Denver. Denver has the rocky mountains but it is drier and less treed than Spokane. Denver is a nice city and has some great parks, etc. but you will notice a difference in topography.

Spokane is still pretty affordable. Jobs tend to pay less than in large markets but it also tends to cost less to live here.

Old 11-21-2008, 05:57 PM

389 posts, read 1,075,784 times
Quote:
If you think that Coeur d'Alene is too rural for your likings, I really don't think you'll find much east of the Cascades that you'll like, to be perfectly honest.

If you want a safe place to live, I would try the South Hill in Spokane. Or stay where you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area