Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 11:38 AM

470 posts, read 1,036,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
With that attitude no one will want to hire you for any position.

If you feel like a slave working for someone why don't you go into business for yourself, sounds like you have many skills.
Once again, read other posts and get some background before judging. I would say I have worked hard and will continue to work hard and I don't think anyone can take away what I've been doing for the past 9 years.

I will not work for a company for sub-standard wages when they want an employee to work any shift, all days of the week, without consideration of time off. I had previously applied for the Sears Marketing Center and didn't end up working for them because they only give their employees one weekend off a month and they were adamant that my one weekend off would be the one they were obligated by federal law to give me to drill. So basically I would have some random days off during the week and nothing more. I would be ok with that but I would require at least $15/ hour plus bonuses to do that versus $11.50/hr plus bonuses.

How very correct you are in seeing I have skills. I do own a business that sells globally. Like all start ups I need capital. Now I qualify for a veterans preferenced loan with the SBA called the Patriot Express. In order to get that I need to get some personal debt down (acquired in a divorce) and work a day job while I grow my own company. The business does great I just can't rob Peter to pay Paul. It needs more working capital. I took it from barely fulfilling a few orders a month to doing around $5,000 in gross sales a month. Now that's not great but considering I had a start up budget of $25,000 and have gone from hardly any sales each month to being on track to gross $60,000 in sales my second year in business. My first year in business was interrupted with a deployment so I consider my current sales figures a pretty major milestone. I would say it is very realistic to believe I can be doing over $100,000 in the next three years. As I said in earlier posts employment is key to self employment. A Monday thru Friday schedule would not only allow me a schedule to go to school but also attend trade shows around the country as a vendor which are essential in establishing brand identity.

I don't have a poor attitude I just have a narrow selection of what I want and it is even narrower with a recession.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 11:48 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,048,359 times
There are many businesses you can start with little money to start. You've already poured $25k into this business so hopefully with that you have enough to use your free time you have know and grow. Not all startups need large amounts of capital. Grow the business and reinvest your profits. If you would take what you call a sub-standard job then you would have money that you have to use now to live on to pay down your debt and grow the business. In the end it would seem to me that you hurt yourself more then anyone else. $11.50 an hour is $24k a year that you won't have otherwise and who knows what opportunities it could lead to, if you are as talented as you describe you'll be a manager there within a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokanejobseeker View Post
Once again, read other posts and get some background before judging. I would say I have worked hard and will continue to work hard and I don't think anyone can take away what I've been doing for the past 9 years.

I will not work for a company for sub-standard wages when they want an employee to work any shift, all days of the week, without consideration of time off. I had previously applied for the Sears Marketing Center and didn't end up working for them because they only give their employees one weekend off a month and they were adamant that my one weekend off would be the one they were obligated by federal law to give me to drill. So basically I would have some random days off during the week and nothing more. I would be ok with that but I would require at least $15/ hour plus bonuses to do that versus $11.50/hr plus bonuses.

How very correct you are in seeing I have skills. I do own a business that sells globally. Like all start ups I need capital. Now I qualify for a veterans preferenced loan with the SBA called the Patriot Express. In order to get that I need to get some personal debt down (acquired in a divorce) and work a day job while I grow my own company. The business does great I just can't rob Peter to pay Paul. It needs more working capital. I took it from barely fulfilling a few orders a month to doing around $5,000 in gross sales a month. Now that's not great but considering I had a start up budget of $25,000 and have gone from hardly any sales each month to being on track to gross $60,000 in sales my second year in business. My first year in business was interrupted with a deployment so I consider my current sales figures a pretty major milestone. I would say it is very realistic to believe I can be doing over $100,000 in the next three years. As I said in earlier posts employment is key to self employment. A Monday thru Friday schedule would not only allow me a schedule to go to school but also attend trade shows around the country as a vendor which are essential in establishing brand identity.

I don't have a poor attitude I just have a narrow selection of what I want and it is even narrower with a recession.

Old 09-10-2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
There are many businesses you can start with little money to start. You've already poured $25k into this business so hopefully with that you have enough to use your free time you have know and grow. Not all startups need large amounts of capital. Grow the business and reinvest your profits. If you would take what you call a sub-standard job then you would have money that you have to use now to live on to pay down your debt and grow the business. In the end it would seem to me that you hurt yourself more then anyone else. $11.50 an hour is $24k a year that you won't have otherwise and who knows what opportunities it could lead to, if you are as talented as you describe you'll be a manager there within a year.
You can't be a manager where there are no manager opportunities. I asked about promotional opportunities from within the company and the answer I got was that it is such a small facility so not a lot of opportunities arise there, but I am eligible for opportunities nationwide with the company. Right now I have I am not in a position to move and coming off a $10/hour janitor job I am not ready to jump into another less than desirable position knowing that higher positions there are filled and the people in them are not leaving anytime soon.

I need quite a bit more capital. I do pour all my profits into the business but I only support a 24% margin to be competitive. Sourcing products at the right price points and affording the buy in at those price points and marketing are my two major expenses. The hope is marketing pays for itself, but I have considerably higher buy ins than a brick and mortar store would. In order to sustain those price points I have to keep up with ordering to maintain that direct buying power. I have learned quite a bit in selling and marketing online and most recently I feel have I gotten a much better grasp of sales management and moving inventory.

Bottomline is I have been successful in everything I have set out to accomplish thus far and I have no reason to accept anything less than excellence even in employment. Employees have a right to expect excellence from their employers just as employers have the right to expect the same from their employees. If you read other posts you will see that I do have other opportunities available to me that allow me to be picky where I work. Take what you want from this but this forum is mainly what I use to vent. I enjoy the responses I get. Some are insightful and others make me glad I'm a strong personality and not a meek and weak individual that just accepts what is given to them.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:39 AM

389 posts, read 1,075,573 times
Quote:
All I ask for is the same opportunities I see other grads I know that graduated around the same time as me working here in Spokane. Do they make huge salaries, no, but they make reasonable wages for professional companies working Monday thru Friday hours. That is what I seek. I would work for $25,000 or more a year at a company that works Monday thru Friday with something around 8 - 5 hours. I would like to hurry up and find a position like this so that I can go ahead and settle in and prep to start an MBA program this January and have a work schedule ( 8 am - 5 pm ) that fits. It would be an added bonus if it were a prominent company with room for advancement or a company with quite a few people looking to retire in the few years.
You are not those people. Sometimes you have to take things that are "outside of the box". You aren't going to get 8-5 M-F at a great wage.

You are starving and, instead of eating the hamburger in front of you, you are saying "No, I won't eat anything but Filet Mignon!"

You WILL NOT start at a company as a manager when the economy is rough because MANAGERS ARE NOT LEAVING TO GO ELSEWHERE. Everyone is hunkering down until this economic storm blows over in a couple of years (hopefully it doesn't take much longer than that), and you don't seem like you want to actually work for a company and try to work your way up, but reality has to hit you some day that you don't start at the top, or even the middle, of the corporate ladder. If you really want to get somewhere, you take an entry level job and work your way up as soon as you see the possibility for advancement. And, in some cases, you get yourself into the company in a low level position and you force the opportunities to happen. And people aren't looking to retire in a few years... if anything, more and more people are looking to stay longer with the companies they're at than ever before.

But you'd rather cancel your job interviews and drive a second vehicle that costs you $415/month. So far I'm not seeing that you have sound decision making abilities. The job market is changing and I fear you don't have what it takes to adapt.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:41 AM

Quote:

You will if you're hungry enough.

Old 09-11-2009, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticPhoenix View Post
You are not those people. Sometimes you have to take things that are "outside of the box". You aren't going to get 8-5 M-F at a great wage.

You are starving and, instead of eating the hamburger in front of you, you are saying "No, I won't eat anything but Filet Mignon!"

Really I'm starving? Savings are getting lower, but I wouldn't say I'm starving.

You WILL NOT start at a company as a manager when the economy is rough because MANAGERS ARE NOT LEAVING TO GO ELSEWHERE. Everyone is hunkering down until this economic storm blows over in a couple of years (hopefully it doesn't take much longer than that), and you don't seem like you want to actually work for a company and try to work your way up, but reality has to hit you some day that you don't start at the top, or even the middle, of the corporate ladder. If you really want to get somewhere, you take an entry level job and work your way up as soon as you see the possibility for advancement. And, in some cases, you get yourself into the company in a low level position and you force the opportunities to happen. And people aren't looking to retire in a few years... if anything, more and more people are looking to stay longer with the companies they're at than ever before.

But you'd rather cancel your job interviews and drive a second vehicle that costs you $415/month. So far I'm not seeing that you have sound decision making abilities. The job market is changing and I fear you don't have what it takes to adapt.

I don't drive a second vehicle for $415.00 a month, I'm stuck with it. I drive a vehicle that is paid for while I try desperately to sell the one I have a payment on because I don't need it. The job market is changing and I'm trying to position myself in the best place possible rather than taking scraps. Spokane was a tough place to get a job before, now that there is a recession it is even harder. I take that back, it's a tough place to get professional employment. If you want to put on a headset and work at West, ICT, Center Partners, or some other dead end where you get comfortable making poverty then there are plenty of opportunities.

Also realize I haven't had a chance to establish in the civilian workforce. I have been mobilized and deployed every other year since graduating college at the end of 2005 just as if I were on active duty. Guess what is coming up in 2010 for me? I would say I haven't exactly had a fair shot like everyone else at civilian work. The up side to that is management and leadership experience as well as a paycheck that is unmatched.

Looking just from your own situation I seem like I am being unreasonable and not making good decisions. From my situation I know that I can be a little choosier because if I don't find something that fits, I'm just going to called up to go somewhere in the next 12 to 15 months anyway. Now when I find that job I might look at doing what I can do to slow down that deployment tempo or even consider resigning.

Old 09-11-2009, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Also realize I haven't had a chance to establish in the civilian workforce. I have been mobilized and deployed every other year since graduating college at the end of 2005 just as if I were on active duty. Guess what is coming up in 2010 for me? I would say I haven't exactly had a fair shot like everyone else at civilian work. The up side to that is management and leadership experience as well as a paycheck that is unmatched.
Isn't that all the more reason why you should end up taking a job that might be somewhat beneath you? If you haven't had a chance to establish yourself in the civilian work force, you don't really deserve to start somewhere as a manager, do you?

Quote:
Looking just from your own situation I seem like I am being unreasonable and not making good decisions. From my situation I know that I can be a little choosier because if I don't find something that fits, I'm just going to called up to go somewhere in the next 12 to 15 months anyway. Now when I find that job I might look at doing what I can do to slow down that deployment tempo or even consider resigning.
But you can't be "a little choosier" though... because you can't find any place that will hire you. And your savings are dwindling... so you have a $600/month income and over 2K worth of bills per month. There are times to be "choosier", this is not it for you.

Old 09-11-2009, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Isn't that all the more reason why you should end up taking a job that might be somewhat beneath you? If you haven't had a chance to establish yourself in the civilian work force, you don't really deserve to start somewhere as a manager, do you?

But you can't be "a little choosier" though... because you can't find any place that will hire you. And your savings are dwindling... so you have a $600/month income and over 2K worth of bills per month. There are times to be "choosier", this is not it for you.
Considering the amount of pay I get and the position I hold in the military I can be choosier. If I can't find what I seek in the civilian market the military is always there with waiting arms for me. It will be a hard job in a hard place but the pay, position, challenge, and level of responsibility I have as an officer in today's military is much more rewarding than taking a significant downgrade in pay and responsibility to work for the promise of what might be in the future. You can't even say it's taking a lesser position, it's taking a pay cut over over 50% for most jobs here. Like I said you don't know my experience and I'm assuming you have elected to not serve your country. You don't know my bank account figures right now so you can't say that I'm in a desperate situation. I've made it fine thus far and another deployment is just around the corner if I find myself getting to far in the hole.

What do you do here in Spokane for $2000 a month that makes you an expert on employment?

Old 09-11-2009, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Considering the amount of pay I get and the position I hold in the military I can be choosier. If I can't find what I seek in the civilian market the military is always there with waiting arms for me. It will be a hard job in a hard place but the pay, position, challenge, and level of responsibility I have as an officer in today's military is much more rewarding than taking a significant downgrade in pay and responsibility to work for the promise of what might be in the future. You can't even say it's taking a lesser position, it's taking a pay cut over over 50% for most jobs here. Like I said you don't know my experience and I'm assuming you have elected to not serve your country. You don't know my bank account figures right now so you can't say that I'm in a desperate situation. I've made it fine thus far and another deployment is just around the corner if I find myself getting to far in the hole.

What do you do here in Spokane for $2000 a month that makes you an expert on employment?
So why not just stay in the military for your career?

What do I do for a living here? I'm a US Officer for the DHS. And I make better than 2k/month.

For the record, I tried to join the military around the time I was 18, back before I went into college and had a family. I was turned down for health reasons that I had at the time. I no longer have those health problems, but that is neither here nor there. I serve our country, just in a different way. Actually, I take that back... I wasn't turned down for health reasons every time. The Coast Guard told me I could join, but that the waiting list was over a year. So I went into the DHS instead.

Old 09-11-2009, 06:52 PM

Quote:
So why not just stay in the military for your career?

What do I do for a living here? I'm a US Officer for the DHS. And I make better than 2k/month.

For the record, I tried to join the military around the time I was 18, back before I went into college and had a family. I was turned down for health reasons that I had at the time. I no longer have those health problems, but that is neither here nor there. I serve our country, just in a different way. Actually, I take that back... I wasn't turned down for health reasons every time. The Coast Guard told me I could join, but that the waiting list was over a year. So I went into the DHS instead.
I get asked that a lot. My response is why don't you deploy to a third world rat hole every other year for a year of your life. I've already been there and done that.

I actually had a job that paid great for the area right out of college 05'. They didn't like the time I had coming up away with the military. I was laid off amazingly enough two months before I was to leave.

I check DHS, Border Patrol, and other job listings on USA JOBS and other Federal and local government job boards. There is hardly anything out there.

Now you go do what I've done. Command the personnel and be responsible for the equipment that I have been responsible for. Essentially attend board meetings every week outlaying training and operations for 18 months out. Do everything people in companies in the civilian world do, even though they think all you do is scream at people and blow stuff up. Then get paid very well to do it on top of that. Then let me know how those $10 an hour job offers from companies that have no plans or desire for growth sit with you.

Do I have an attitude, yeah it's a called a Type A personality. I'm not going to accept anything less than what I am setting out to do. If there is an opportunity with a lesser position I will take it. I'm not going to take some dead end position where I'm going to hate waking up everyday and have to drag myself in to do a job. Life is too short for that. I guarantee you with persistence and perseverance I will be able to report on here that I found a job that fits the goals I have set in what is suitable employment. It might be Monday, it might be in a month or it might be when I get back spring of 2011. There's no reason to accept anything less though. That's part of what drives Spokane's poverty. People here just accept and settle for what's out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area