Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2009, 02:14 PM

77 posts, read 406,131 times

Advertisements

RogueRiver: Do you live in Spokane now? How long where you there? City or suburbs? Just looking for more detail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 10:58 AM

3 posts, read 10,179 times
Default and the weather?

I'm looking for lots of sunshine. Summer looks great that way but winter??

Old 01-13-2009, 11:32 AM

438 posts, read 1,797,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynnette Brouwer View Post
You've got to take the good with the bad. It's not the mid-west, but Spokane's had two of its worst winters in a row(and we're only partway through this one...). Over Christmas they were up to their eyeballs in snow! There are a few pictures around the forum of what it was like. I had to laugh when I was looking at a new listing on a real estate site and I could hardly see the house for the pile of snow out front. :~) D

Old 01-13-2009, 12:37 PM

3,974 posts, read 5,167,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kena View Post
Fair enough. Spokane is still a predominately white city (though it is slowing diversifying). That fact can make it difficult for some, particularly, as you say, if they are coming from an area that has more diveristy. Although Spokane is not the most diverse city, I don't feel it is an overly intolerant city. I suppose that a relative lack of diversity doesn't necessarily translate into a lack of tolerance. That said, it is too bad if you have experienced otherwise. I'm optimistic that as Spokane continues to diversify (racially and otherwise) people of all backgrounds will feel welcome.

Having grown up in Spokane I can say it is tolerant. Sure there aren't many minorities and it isn't as tolerant as bigger cities with a more diverse population, but the general attitude is live and let live.

The problem is Spokane is near North Idaho and the reputation it has for being intolerant thanks to the Neo Nazis\Aryan Nation compound and everything it did. Yeah the compound is gone and has been for a while, but the reputation is still there.

Old 01-13-2009, 02:28 PM

231 posts, read 1,081,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynnette Brouwer View Post
Even winter isn't generally too bad in terms of seeing the sun. Spokane is fairly arid and even in the winter you get sunny blue sky days (and plenty of days with some clouds and some sun). The last two winters have been very unusual. There have been many winters in the past where there is a real questions as to whether it will be a white Christmas. Spokane does get the occasional 'inversion' in the winter where it will be gray and blah for a few days and (depeding on where you live) can also see fog. It won't be sunny everyday like some places in the southwest but, that said, Spokane is very different weather-wise than the I-5 corridor.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:01 PM

844 posts, read 1,280,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st33lcas3 View Post
Having grown up in Spokane I can say it is tolerant. Sure there aren't many minorities and it isn't as tolerant as bigger cities with a more diverse population, but the general attitude is live and let live.

The problem is Spokane is near North Idaho and the reputation it has for being intolerant thanks to the Neo Nazis\Aryan Nation compound and everything it did. Yeah the compound is gone and has been for a while, but the reputation is still there.
The Nazi's may be gone as an organization, but as an underground scene with teens and young adults they are far from gone. I also will go the 'I heard this and that', but will say Ive seen first hand wannabe nzi punks downtown harrassing kids. I lived in Pullman for years going to school, and would have to drive up to Spokane (or spocompton or spokvegas or spokanistan as its called) to pretty much do any real shopping or get anything important I needed. I am not white and never personally had a bad experience, or at least anything worst than maybe a dirty look here or there and a whispered comment. Then again, I am 6ft 3 inches tall and 230 pounds, so maybe I am less likely to have a 'bad experience'. I have witnessed others get harassed by kids in Riverfront park.

I would worry less about racism and intolerance (unless its the kind one may experience at work or in a neighborhood..of which I have no experience first or second hand from which to draw from), and more simply just on crime. Its not an epidemic, but it is rampant. Mainly at night.

Spokane is like anywhere else that is not overly diverse and economically downtrodden. The town isnt going to murder you for dating outside your race, but at the same time if you are different, expect to gets stares in some places. And no matter who you are and what color you are, keep your guard up at night. People that predate on others dont need a reason to victimize others, but they do often look for someone that 'sticks out' to go after. Whether its because youre skin color is different, youre a young woman, youre an old person or you are alone, it doesnt matter. All that matters is keeping your wits about you.

I personally may consider moving back to Spokane when I fully finish up with school, depending on how things go with the economy. Though thats looking not so good now, it could change.

Old 03-07-2009, 02:38 PM

1 posts, read 3,531 times
Default spokane sucks

run away. dont move here. narrow minded people. homeless everywhere. 30 yrs backward. i cant say how awful it is. so what if homes are cheaper ; who wants to live here? go to couer d'alene idaho and commute to work. wish we had. biggest mistake of our lives. hate hate hate spokane with a passion. can u tell?

Old 03-07-2009, 06:43 PM

26 posts, read 99,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonsmom2 View Post
run away. dont move here. narrow minded people. homeless everywhere. 30 yrs backward. i cant say how awful it is. so what if homes are cheaper ; who wants to live here? go to couer d'alene idaho and commute to work. wish we had. biggest mistake of our lives. hate hate hate spokane with a passion. can u tell?
I know many people that have lived all over, including me and my wife, and have chosen Spokane as their home to settle down in. To contrast your experience, "I can't say how wonderful it is!!" If someone has had a bad experience in Spokane I know that it doesn't matter what I say or how I say it, people still have had a bad experience with Spokane. I guess there are no etched-in-stone absolutes when it comes to cities. There are good sides and bad sides, and in turn, experiences/opinions to go along with them. Both are absolutely valid. I'm a police officer here in Spokane and I see the not so pretty side of Spokane all of the time. Despite this, I still think it's a WONDERFUL place to live in. Outdoor recreation at our doorstep, strong sense of community, 4 distinct seasons & low humidity- (we're from Kansas City, Missouri), and family.

Old 03-07-2009, 11:50 PM

67 posts, read 246,915 times
Great reply caseyandmelody.

It saddens me to read posts like Jacksonsmom2, I wonder what has hurt this person so much?

>>>narrow minded people.

Actually the people in LA are far more narrow-minded then they are in Spokane.
Spokane epitomizes the live and let live mentality. Except for some of the transplants from LA (gulp) maybe that is what this person is talking about.

>>>homeless everywhere.

LOL – seriously go to any large city, no go to any city the size of Spokane and you will see many more homeless people.

>>>30 yrs backward.

Guilty as charged, low crime, no graffiti, pleasant people, no long lines in the post offices, nice neighbors, turn your blinker on and the person behind you slows down and lets your in, people wave, etc.
I kinda like it.

>>> so what if homes are cheaper ; who wants to live here?

All of us who have lived somewhere else it seems. To many transplants from the whole of the US just love this area.

>>>go to couer d'alene idaho and commute to work. wish we had. biggest mistake of our lives.

Hmmmmmmmm, the two cities are separated by 20 miles and it seems to me that there really isn’t that much difference between them. What makes CDA the cat’s meow?

>>>hate hate hate spokane with a passion. can u tell?

Yes we can, but hatred and anger eats a hole inside of you.

Why do you hate so much?

Just wondering, because it’s not healthy, if you want to talk it out or let us know on this board it might be a good for you.

I wish you the best.

Old 03-08-2009, 07:39 PM

426 posts, read 958,679 times
Don't get too sucked in by a person with exactly "1" post, who is more than likely posting soley to stir sh-t.

Or a person that has to many issues to post rationally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area