Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 01:28 PM

32,108 posts, read 34,720,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spookmeister View Post
Conditioning NOW is a given, not so much back then...Just like weight training.

Becker definitely was pure raw power when he won Wimbledon at 17, but in his mid 20's had a pretty good finesse game to go with it.

Edberg..Hence my terming him a tweener. Had the height but NOT the strength. I'll concede my fault on his backhand/forehand. He had a solid backhand and most avoided playing to that side.
Again, Nadal grew up on clay, like most Spanish players, and his game has evolved for him to take advantage of his natural speed, power and conditioning. By his own admission, he's unbeatable on clay. Just like some players prefer natural grass to turf, that's his surface.

Yes, I obviously don't know much about the sport because you make that assertion. Your differing opinion on the players and style are welcome any time, your assumption of my knowledge isn't.
Not all players are created equal. Nadal is doing 360 scissor kicks during changeovers in the 5th Set. 99% of players can't match his physical prowess. 100% of players can't match his mental prowess.

Stefan Edberg was not tall. Becker, Stich, and Rusedski were all much bigger than him. He was roughly the same size as Cedric Pioline, Ivan Lendl, and Pete Sampras. Those guys were not tall. Edberg was considered the "little guy" in his three epic Wimbledon matchups against Becker.

It is evident that you don't know much about the sport if you consider Boris Becker a "finesse" player at any point in his career. Edberg had finesse. Karol Kucera had finesse. John McEnroe had finesse. Boris Becker's game was always defined by a booming first-serve and aggressive net play. That's why they called him "Boom Boom." He never really changed his style over his career.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 01:45 PM

806 posts, read 2,884,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Not all players are created equal. Nadal is doing 360 scissor kicks during changeovers in the 5th Set. 99% of players can't match his physical prowess. 100% of players can't match his mental prowess.
Hence the need for rankings? To follow through on your argument, it doesn't matter if they're playing on quicksand or clouds. Compare it to marathon running, a lot of people finish but those with the greater physical and mental fortitude, are the elite. It doesn't mean that those that finish in three hours aren't fit, just less so, relatively.

Quote:
Stefan Edberg was not tall. Becker, Stich, and Rusedski were all much bigger than him. He was roughly the same size as Cedric Pioline, Ivan Lendl, and Pete Sampras. Those guys were not tall. Edberg was considered the "little guy" in his three epic Wimbledon matchups against Becker.
I think 6' 1" would qualify as tall to most. While they may have been equal in height for the most part, a couple of inches difference amongst them, the strength and conditioning was far different. Lendl was probably fitter than most at the time with his training regiment, which included weight training. So was Sampras compared to Edberg.

Quote:
It is evident that you don't know much about the sport if you consider Boris Becker a "finesse" player at any point in his career. Edberg had finesse. Karol Kucera had finesse. John McEnroe had finesse. Boris Becker's game was always defined by a booming first-serve and aggressive net play. That's why they called him "Boom Boom." He never really changed his style over his career.
Maybe we have a different opinion of what a finesse player is? Becker had power and his game was of the serve and charge variety, initially. He intimidated opponents because as soon as he got a serve or return in, he was at the net. He eventually learnt patience, confusing his opponents with rallies that seemed endless in comparison to his normal serve and volley game. You knew that any moment he could be at the net if you gave him an opening, just not when he'd choose to. He didn't change his game completely, he improved his weapons. That's why he won on all surfaces not just the ones more suitable to his power game.
It is evident you have to define my knowledge, or lack of, based on whether I agree with you or not. If that's the case, enjoy winning, I have better things to do with my time.

Old 09-21-2010, 11:56 AM

32,108 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spookmeister View Post
Your differing opinion on the players and style are welcome any time, your assumption of my knowledge isn't.
It's not an assumption; you showed me how much you know by making that statement. That's like going into a football thread and writing "Since we all the know the Indianapolis Colts are a run-oriented team..."

Old 09-22-2010, 03:44 PM

806 posts, read 2,884,508 times
Stick Chris Johnson or Adrian Peterson back there and see if Peyton has to throw 50 times a game, then let's have that argument? Everyone and their grandma will be marveling at how balanced that offense is.

I disagreed with your assessment of individual players' playing style over their careers, not just a tournament or season. Was Boris worthy of the moniker 'boom boom'? Sure, but he showed he was capable of more than just a serve and volley game. Edberg as another example was a pure finesse player that had the physical tools to be GREAT if he applied himself and transformed his game, which he didn't. Those are examples, not definitions. I could have picked Pat Cash and Guillermo Villas, but you'd still be reluctant to see the bigger picture because you're focused on the details.
Back to your original point. The surface they play on is the same for ALL players. Those that master it quickest are the most likely to win, simple as that. If someone grows up on clay, grass or hard courts, they're more likely to be better players on those surfaces but still have to be proficient at the others to become an elite player. Some, work on their game to be, others are content to be dominant on their preferred choice of playing surface. Does that answer your question sufficiently?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports