Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2011, 09:37 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times

Advertisements

What are your most satisfying sports victories? I grew up in Southern California. Here are mine:

Lakers over celtics 1985 (By far the Number One victory for LA)
Lakers over celtics 2010 in seven games
Dodgers over Yankees 1981 (Interestingly, the Reds had the best record in baseball that strike year and they didn't make the playoffs.)
Angels over Giants 2002
Kings over Edmonton (down 5-0 in third period), 1982
Dodgers over A's 1988
Rams over Cleveland Browns 1951 (I don't remember but it's the only LA Rams championship so I mentioned it.)
Raiders over Redskins 1984
Ducks over Ottawa 2007
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 01:56 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,658,020 times
Right now, this is easy:

Giants over Patroits SB XLII.

Ahhh...still get a warm and fuzzy just thinking about it...

Old 02-18-2011, 01:40 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,852,730 times
Patriots over the Rams in the Super Bowl. 14 pt underdogs against the "greatest show on turf"
Red Sox over the Yankees in 2004, down 3 -0 and coming back with 4 straight
Celtics over the Lakers in 2008, ended a 22 year drought
Celtics over the Lakers in 1984, Bird beats Magic.
Celtics over the Bucks in 1974. Cowens vs. Kareem...

Old 02-21-2011, 01:24 AM

35 posts, read 83,114 times
Bruins over he Canadiens in the 88 playoffs
Giants beating the Pats SB 42
Red Sox comeback against the Yankees in 04

yes, I realize it's odd being a Giants fan in New England today, not so much though when I was growing up

Old 02-21-2011, 07:11 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,656,199 times
For me it's not a team sport, it's the end of the Formula 1 season in 2008. I was the only English person watching it in a sports bar in Germany, and Lewis Hamilton (who's English) had to finish at least fifth in the last race to win the title. He was fairly steady in fifth until about two laps to go when Sebastian Vettel (who's German) overtook him and the whole bar went crazy with laughter. When Felipe Massa won the race we all assumed he must have won the title and Hamilton must have finished sixth, but while the TV cameras were watching Massa celebrating Hamilton overtook Timo Glock (another German) on the last corner of the last lap for fifth place and when it came up on the screen that actually Hamilton had won the title neither the commentators nor anybody in the now-silent bar had a clue what had happened!

Old 02-21-2011, 08:02 AM

964 posts, read 2,648,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
For me it's not a team sport, it's the end of the Formula 1 season in 2008. I was the only English person watching it in a sports bar in Germany, and Lewis Hamilton (who's English) had to finish at least fifth in the last race to win the title. He was fairly steady in fifth until about two laps to go when Sebastian Vettel (who's German) overtook him and the whole bar went crazy with laughter. When Felipe Massa won the race we all assumed he must have won the title and Hamilton must have finished sixth, but while the TV cameras were watching Massa celebrating Hamilton overtook Timo Glock (another German) on the last corner of the last lap for fifth place and when it came up on the screen that actually Hamilton had won the title neither the commentators nor anybody in the now-silent bar had a clue what had happened!

Auto Racing?

You know why they don't make computers in England don't you?

Spoiler
They couldn't figure out a way for them to leak oil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports