Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 07:46 PM

749 posts, read 838,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
Here we go again. What's your thoughts on John Mcenroe's place in tennis history, from an ability standpoint?
Are you high or something? Is this topic not about the Williams sisters....and Serena in general?

What's your point?

I think Johnny Mac is a tool....feel better now?

Christ...they should check IQ's at the door here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 11:34 PM

519 posts, read 604,056 times
Speaking of Johnny Mac, he seems to hold Serena in pretty high regard: McEnroe: Serena is the greatest ever - Sports Mole

Old 07-10-2012, 01:38 AM

2,883 posts, read 5,891,411 times
I don't follow tennis very much, but didn't Navratilova, Graf, Evert kind of trail blaze more? Didn't they set a new tone for womens tennis?

What was the state of womens tennis when they came in?

-It seems like in a lot of sports now (MLB, NBA come to mind), athletes rely more on physical prowess, power. It makes comparisons to athletes 20-30 years ago tough, because they relied more on fundamentals and technique.

Johnny Mac, Navraltilova, Evert were schooled in technique. This Federer, Williams era seems to be based on, if I can just be more powerful, faster, I'll win.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:41 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times
Default Serena is the best

I think she has to go down as one of the best. As a black woman, she has endured and overcome more adversity than all the other tennis greats combined. Overcoming this to attain her level of achievement is astounding, and has to be recognized. The same goes for her sister Venus.

I'd place them 1 and 2, interchangeably, as the best in history.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:52 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,705,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftyTrav View Post
Are you high or something? Is this topic not about the Williams sisters....and Serena in general?

What's your point?

I think Johnny Mac is a tool....feel better now?

Christ...they should check IQ's at the door here.
Are you? The thread topic speaks SPECIFICALLY to Serena's place in history. The supporting OP asks SPECIFICALLY about SERENA compared to other past greats. Where does Venus come into play here, or Serena being a whiny b***h as you so eloquently describe?! Let me clarify then: when I meant how does Serena compare to Navratilova or Graf, I wasn't intending the meat of the discussion to be about personalities. I figured it was obvious enough that the discussion would focus on on-court abilities and hypothetical matchups.

Yes, fortunately for you IQ isn't checked at the door.

Last edited by Roman77; 07-10-2012 at 07:16 AM..

Old 07-10-2012, 07:44 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,895,822 times
"I've seen them all, Martina Navratilova, Billie Jean King, Chris Evert was a machine, Monica Seles, Steffi Graf, but I believe we're watching the greatest female player that's ever played this game," McEnroe said.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:01 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,705,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
"I've seen them all, Martina Navratilova, Billie Jean King, Chris Evert was a machine, Monica Seles, Steffi Graf, but I believe we're watching the greatest female player that's ever played this game," McEnroe said.

Interesting, on the other hand she's a real b***h.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:23 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,979,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
I don't follow tennis very much, but didn't Navratilova, Graf, Evert kind of trail blaze more? Didn't they set a new tone for womens tennis?

What was the state of womens tennis when they came in?

-It seems like in a lot of sports now (MLB, NBA come to mind), athletes rely more on physical prowess, power. It makes comparisons to athletes 20-30 years ago tough, because they relied more on fundamentals and technique.

Johnny Mac, Navraltilova, Evert were schooled in technique. This Federer, Williams era seems to be based on, if I can just be more powerful, faster, I'll win.
Federer, for what it's worth, is not a "power player." His technique and fundamentals are some of the soundest in the game.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:26 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,979,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post

Well this is part of the ridiculous hype that Serena gets. I respect J Mc's opinion but I just couldn't disagree with him more strongly. If she doesn't have the most GS titles then she cannot be the best. She's played in a weak and watered down women's game so in truth it's likely that she's underperformed. Her overall game is relatively average but she's benefited from overpowering physically inferior women and playing in a craptastic era of women's tennis.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:12 PM

519 posts, read 604,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
Well this is part of the ridiculous hype that Serena gets. I respect J Mc's opinion but I just couldn't disagree with him more strongly.
And I just couldn't disagree with your opinion any more strongly. McEnroe is clearly an expert and as he stated he's seen Navratilova, Graf, Seles, Evert & BJK play...up close and personal. So if he feels that Serena is or is on her way to being the GOAT, how is that ridiculous and how is that hype? What could it possibly benefit McEnroe to make such a statement?

Quote:
If she doesn't have the most GS titles then she cannot be the best.
A truly fallacious argument if ever there were one. So what you're also saying is that neither Navratilova nor Graf can be better than Margaret Court. Unfortunately, Court's playing days are a bit before my time, but I doubt that many historians of the game would make that claim. And while talking accomplishments, let us not forget Serena's 15 GS doubles & mixed doubles championships either.

Quote:
She's played in a weak and watered down women's game so in truth it's likely that she's underperformed. Her overall game is relatively average but she's benefited from overpowering physically inferior women and playing in a craptastic era of women's tennis.
You wanna talk about ridiculous hyperbole...This "argument" is rather silly in my opinion yet invariably comes up in sports discussions when someone feels the need to disparage a certain team or athlete. Nobody controls when they're born just as nobody controls their opponents. If we're to play that game though, as BajanYankee pointed out, the field wasn't exactly stellar when Steffi Graf was dominating, so what? Serena's career isn't over yet, but it's hard to argue that she isn't already in the top 5 of all time. Though you may not like it, by the time her career is over her name will most certainly be in the debate about the G.O.A.T.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports