Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 09:35 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times

Advertisements

Outside of the NFL playoffs and Super Bowl, this is my favorite sporting event, and this year marks the 100th anniversary (started in 1903, but 10 races missed due to war)

The first three stages are on Corsica, where the race has never been, so that should be interesting. Stage 18 in the Alps sees the famed Alp du Huez climbed twice, which sounds strange, and should also be interesting.

Wiggins is not even riding in this Tour, and second place from last year, Chris Froome, is the likely favorite. Another strong contender is the winner of the Tour of California, Montana native Tejay van Garderen, who won the white jersey in Paris last year. The field seems fairly wide open, I don't know is on what team this year, so I'll go with Froome.

And the Sagan/Cavendish rivalry in the sprints is great for the Tour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2013, 03:52 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,846,883 times
Froome will win I think, well I hope so!

Old 06-29-2013, 05:45 AM

1,855 posts, read 3,609,960 times
It's on NBC. Prepare yourselves for the commercials. Last year I timed one day's coverage: 18 minutes of coverage, 42 minutes of commercials.

Old 06-29-2013, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post
It's on NBC. Prepare yourselves for the commercials. Last year I timed one day's coverage: 18 minutes of coverage, 42 minutes of commercials.
I never watch the condensed version of the race in primetime, I always watch the 4 hour version, tape delay, and FF thru all the commercials.

In the 10 years I have watched it, the best races were the ones minus Armstrong. When Lance raced, advertising doubled.

No more Lance.

Old 06-29-2013, 08:57 AM

1,855 posts, read 3,609,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I never watch the condensed version of the race in primetime, I always watch the 4 hour version, tape delay, and FF thru all the commercials.

In the 10 years I have watched it, the best races were the ones minus Armstrong. When Lance raced, advertising doubled.

No more Lance.
Yeah, that's what I'm doing this year. Last year I didn't have a dvr.

Old 06-29-2013, 12:48 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,114,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Outside of the NFL playoffs and Super Bowl, this is my favorite sporting event, and this year marks the 100th anniversary (started in 1903, but 10 races missed due to war)

The first three stages are on Corsica, where the race has never been, so that should be interesting. Stage 18 in the Alps sees the famed Alp du Huez climbed twice, which sounds strange, and should also be interesting.

Wiggins is not even riding in this Tour, and second place from last year, Chris Froome, is the likely favorite. Another strong contender is the winner of the Tour of California, Montana native Tejay van Garderen, who won the white jersey in Paris last year. The field seems fairly wide open, I don't know is on what team this year, so I'll go with Froome.

And the Sagan/Cavendish rivalry in the sprints is great for the Tour.
I'll be watching
July always means limited sleep for me. Annoyingly here (Aus) it starts at 10pm live. First half of the tour I normally catch the previous stage the next night, but 2nd half I try to watch it live

Going for Cadel Evans of course, want to see Orica GreenEdge win a stage.

Agree the Sagan/Cavendish battles will be interesting

Those mountain stages look even more gruelling this year, & are very late stages

Old 06-29-2013, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post

Going for Cadel Evans of course, want to see Orica GreenEdge win a stage.
Their team bus certainly made things interesting.

Tour de France: Orica-GreenEdge fined after bus causes chaos | Sky Sports

Old 06-30-2013, 01:51 AM

14,767 posts, read 17,114,170 times
That was a big oooops

Don't know how that could happen. Orica say they used the same bus last year..?
Caused terrible confusion at the finish

Old 06-30-2013, 07:11 AM

Tour officials lowered the timing banner for the riders. Apparently the team bus got lost and was late arriving.

Old 06-30-2013, 07:45 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,477,031 times
Used to race bikes, was friends with a couple of guys that were in the TDF, worked at a pro bike shop in college, so my credentials are pretty solid in the bike world. More than likely I will not watch any of the Tour, might check online 2-3 times over the next month just to see what is going on and that is it. The TDF is just not interesting anymore.

If they let the riders race without helmets and took away their radios so that they could not be told what to do by their coaches I might watch again. But I doubt we will ever go back to pre-90's style of racing again. It was much more fun to watch guys like Fignon, LeMond, Roche, Sean Kelly than it is to watch the current crop of 120 lb horse jockeys duke it out.

The doping scandals did not turn me off, they've been doping in the tour since it began 100 years ago. If you ever thought they raced clean in European pro cycling, I've got a bridge to sell you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports