Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 11:25 AM

1,855 posts, read 3,609,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
Used to race bikes, was friends with a couple of guys that were in the TDF, worked at a pro bike shop in college, so my credentials are pretty solid in the bike world. More than likely I will not watch any of the Tour, might check online 2-3 times over the next month just to see what is going on and that is it. The TDF is just not interesting anymore.

If they let the riders race without helmets and took away their radios so that they could not be told what to do by their coaches I might watch again. But I doubt we will ever go back to pre-90's style of racing again. It was much more fun to watch guys like Fignon, LeMond, Roche, Sean Kelly than it is to watch the current crop of 120 lb horse jockeys duke it out.

The doping scandals did not turn me off, they've been doping in the tour since it began 100 years ago. If you ever thought they raced clean in European pro cycling, I've got a bridge to sell you.
What do you have against helmets? With all the wrecks those guys have, they should wear them at all times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2013, 01:14 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,477,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post
What do you have against helmets? With all the wrecks those guys have, they should wear them at all times.
It was much easier to see who was racing before they covered their heads with helmets and big sunglasses. Guess I'm old school. These guys are professionals, they should choose whether or not to wear a helmet.

I know all about the wrecks, one of my friends told me that on average he got into at least one wreck a day the years he did the TDF. Trying to go from a 4 lane highway onto a 6 foot wide rural road that's barely paved is enough to wipe out 30-40 guys in one fell swoop.

Old 06-30-2013, 04:21 PM

Quote:
It was much easier to see who was racing before they covered their heads with helmets and big sunglasses. Guess I'm old school. These guys are professionals, they should choose whether or not to wear a helmet.

I know all about the wrecks, one of my friends told me that on average he got into at least one wreck a day the years he did the TDF. Trying to go from a 4 lane highway onto a 6 foot wide rural road that's barely paved is enough to wipe out 30-40 guys in one fell swoop.
I'm ok with mandated helmets. It's a small price to pay for keeping your brain where it belongs. I think the commentators do a decent job of identifying the riders. Plus the numbers are pretty obvious, so you just have to keep track. Cant fault them for wearing sunglasses either. There's not much room for error on those hairy turns they descend at 60 mph, and the glare from the sun could be deadly at those speeds.

Old 06-30-2013, 04:44 PM

This is what cycling used to look like, doing it old school.

Old 06-30-2013, 04:55 PM

Quote:

Eddie Merckx was a great champion, no doubt about it.

Old 06-30-2013, 05:00 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Eddie Merckx was a great champion, no doubt about it.
One just wonders how the legacy of Greg LeMond would compare if not for his hunting accident.

Old 06-30-2013, 08:41 PM

Quote:
One just wonders how the legacy of Greg LeMond would compare if not for his hunting accident.
He could have won in 1985 but held back to help Hinault, won in 86 and I think could have won in 87 and 88. Think LeMond could have easily won 5 tours.

Old 06-30-2013, 08:44 PM

Most of the guys in the picture were doping, but damn they were sure fun to watch during the climbing stages.

Old 06-30-2013, 08:58 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
Quote:
His recovery from that hunting accident to race in the next years tour was one of the greatest comebacks in sports. I don't remember if he won that year but Sports Illustrated did an amazing story on his recovery that remains one of the best sports stories I've ever read. LeMond is the greatest American cyclist ever, he did it clean.

Old 06-30-2013, 09:38 PM

Quote:
He could have won in 1985 but held back to help Hinault, won in 86 and I think could have won in 87 and 88. Think LeMond could have easily won 5 tours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
His recovery from that hunting accident to race in the next years tour was one of the greatest comebacks in sports. I don't remember if he won that year but Sports Illustrated did an amazing story on his recovery that remains one of the best sports stories I've ever read. LeMond is the greatest American cyclist ever, he did it clean.
I believe LeMond was clearly stronger than Hinault in '85 and would've won on his own merits, had he not held back. But even that is a testament to the man's character. He won in '86, then again in '89 and '90. So I give him 6. He's probably the most naturally gifted cyclist in the modern era, and I've never heard a hint of credible evidence that he doped. It's always "Everyone knows they all cheat, ergo LeMond did too."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports