Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 02:42 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,141,152 times

Advertisements

A list of the most cheesy and hilarious gimmicks ever. Aside from the Shcokmaster and Gobbledy Gooker there was even a mummy and a cow gimmick. Some of these wrestlers went on to become big stars even.

WWE: Ranking the 40 Worst Gimmicks in History | Bleacher Report
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2013, 01:47 AM

Location: The back alleys of Hong Kong and sometimes Brussels, Belgium
242 posts, read 268,750 times
I know this thread is about the worst gimmicks ever, but I think Ernest 'The Cat' Miller had a gimmick that was awesome. He played the part of being a black belt in karate, and being a 3 time world karate champion as if he was the next Bruce Leroy or something.....lol....I always got a kick out of that when he would come on and promote his karate champion status. Where does the man Ernest 'The Cat' Miller rank as a gimmick in wrestling just knowing he could snatch your heart out in 5 seconds, or kick you to kingdom come being a registered weapon like he is/was?

WCW Monday Nitro 10-5-99 Kaz Hayashi vs Ernest The Cat Miller - YouTube

LMAO!!! He was like the James Brown of Martial Arts and Professional Wrestling

Old 03-10-2013, 03:03 AM

Now, to get back on topic with your thread...Here goes one of the worst gimmicks ever. This was back in the late 90's on WCW when they tried to push Glacier into stardome. He was supposed to be like a real life Mortal Kombat character like Sub Zero...

Glacier's WCW Debut - YouTube

I remember back at this time in the 90's that Glacier was supposed to be the next big thing as they tried so hard to push him along as you can see from listening to the announcers in this video until weeks later this guy named Goldberg came along...

Old 03-10-2013, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Dux View Post
Now, to get back on topic with your thread...Here goes one of the worst gimmicks ever. This was back in the late 90's on WCW when they tried to push Glacier into stardome. He was supposed to be like a real life Mortal Kombat character like Sub Zero...

Glacier's WCW Debut - YouTube

I remember back at this time in the 90's that Glacier was supposed to be the next big thing as they tried so hard to push him along as you can see from listening to the announcers in this video until weeks later this guy named Goldberg came along...
Good posts! Wrestling was trying to cash in on the video game craze and popularity of Mortal kombat. In fact, The Arachniman character got attention from marvel comics, Who sued due to the almost exact likeness of their Spiderman superhero. The yeti was one of the most laughable. it was a near 7 foot tall Mummy, Looked nothing like a yeti lol.

Wrestling was different back then, There was an emphasis on fantasy Vs. Violence and sexual innuendo that is seen today. These awful gimmicks were certainly entertaining. They still show up occasionally. Was watching the old school RAW reunion and there is a new guy who is a tango dancer, Came out with a female dance partner and everything. Will likely be short lived, Like Paul Birchill's pirate gimmick.

Old 03-10-2013, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Good posts! Wrestling was trying to cash in on the video game craze and popularity of Mortal kombat. In fact, The Arachniman character got attention from marvel comics, Who sued due to the almost exact likeness of their Spiderman superhero. The yeti was one of the most laughable. it was a near 7 foot tall Mummy, Looked nothing like a yeti lol.

Wrestling was different back then, There was an emphasis on fantasy Vs. Violence and sexual innuendo that is seen today. These awful gimmicks were certainly entertaining. They still show up occasionally. Was watching the old school RAW reunion and there is a new guy who is a tango dancer, Came out with a female dance partner and everything. Will likely be short lived, Like Paul Birchill's pirate gimmick.
You have way more knowledge then I can even imagine to swallow in this brain right now, I have wrestling knowledge tidbits that you wouldn't know either, so it's all mutual. You just blew my mind with the background you had on Glacier though. I have been a fan of wrestling since the early 80's. I think my first experience was with Andre vs. Hogan WrestleMania 3...I bet we could share so many stories about wrestling, but you seem more articulate on this site compared to me. Would be nice to share some stories over a beer or coffee someday.

Old 03-10-2013, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Dux View Post
You have way more knowledge then I can even imagine to swallow in this brain right now, I have wrestling knowledge tidbits that you wouldn't know either, so it's all mutual. You just blew my mind with the background you had on Glacier though. I have been a fan of wrestling since the early 80's. I think my first experience was with Andre vs. Hogan WrestleMania 3...I bet we could share so many stories about wrestling, but you seem more articulate on this site compared to me. Would be nice to share some stories over a beer or coffee someday.
Thanks for the compliment, I have been watching Wrestling for over 30 years. The last several years it's been on and off, But I think all fans remain fans even if not watching weekly. It's one of those things that bring nostalgia and the old school days to mind. Wrestling, martial arts flicks and Godzilla and his friends. There was nothing more innocent and fun then eating cookie crisp watching these on TV, back when the TV's were a big ol' box.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:18 AM

797 posts, read 1,344,994 times
Billy Red Cloud.

He could be taking quite a beating but then he went into his war dance and his opponent would bail out of the ring because that war dance gave him special power.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:25 AM

797 posts, read 1,344,994 times
Honky Tonk Man.

He resembled an Elvis impersonater , carried a guitar, and somewhere in the match would hit his opponent over the head with the guitar.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Wolf View Post
Billy Red Cloud.

He could be taking quite a beating but then he went into his war dance and his opponent would bail out of the ring because that war dance gave him special power.
I never heard of this one? Got to check it out.

Giant Gonzales was a silly gimmick, With that Bigfoot costume.

HHH had an awful gimmick in the WCW, With that cheesy cape and little dance he would do in the ring. I am sure he cringes when coming across videos of this.

Hulk Hogan's "Mr. America" got very mixed reactions, But I thought it was great to add to the Hogan/McMahon feud. The lie detector test in the ring was hilarious. It's always fun watching Mr. McMahon get a run for his money.

Old 03-10-2013, 11:39 AM

2,023 posts, read 5,314,540 times
I always thought Wrath and Disco Inferno were awesome gimmicks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports