Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2013, 07:21 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,437,357 times

Advertisements

A lot of athletes make big bucks endorsing products. (One year Michael Jordan made more money endorsing Nike than all the people COMBINED who made the shoes.)

Mike Tyson was one of the greatest boxers ever. And, he lived in an era of endorsements. (I wonder if Cassius Clay endorsed anything but the eras were different - maybe he did.)

But, I can't see him getting in front of a TV and speaking in any scripted way. Maybe I can see him in a magazine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 07:28 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,228,371 times
his old Diet Pepsi commercials are still out there

Plus there was "Mike Tysons Punch Out"

There was also Kodak ..... I found a report that in 1988 he made $35M in endorsement money

Here is that article - guy was volatile and not very relateable/marketable

Biggest Money Could Be Ahead for Tyson : Despite Lack of Endorsements, Boxer Could Make $100 Million in HBO Deal - Los Angeles Times

Old 08-28-2013, 07:32 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,437,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
his old Diet Pepsi commercials are still out there

Plus there was "Mike Tysons Punch Out"

There was also Kodak ..... I found a report that in 1988 he made $35M in endorsement money

Here is that article - guy was volatile and not very relateable/marketable

Biggest Money Could Be Ahead for Tyson : Despite Lack of Endorsements, Boxer Could Make $100 Million in HBO Deal - Los Angeles Times

Ah ha, your right!

1988 Diet Pepsi Commercial (with Mike Tyson) - YouTube

Diet Pepsi commercial with Mike Tyson - YouTube

Mike Tyson Kodak Commercial 1987 - YouTube

Mike Tyson commercial collection - YouTube

Old 09-04-2013, 01:33 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,604,857 times
Mike Tyson's Punch Out...

What sucks is I just downloaded a copy for the Wii U and he's been replaced by Mr. Dream.

Old 09-04-2013, 01:45 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,363,737 times
i remember him doing some commercial with Robin Givens (his then wife).

Old 09-04-2013, 02:06 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,228,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
Mike Tyson's Punch Out...

What sucks is I just downloaded a copy for the Wii U and he's been replaced by Mr. Dream.
Yeah - Nintendo gambled a bit on this .... when they signed the deal Tyson was a fast rising star, but still a fairly young guy ...... they signed a 3 year licensing deal and it struck nicely as Tyson won the belt between signing the deal and the games US release

However, since it was only a 3 year deal when it expired they swapped Tyson for Mr. Dream

Still a great game though

Another thing to note on Tyson and his endorsment potential - it wasn't the squeaky voice, presence in front of a camera, tough guy image or anything like that which hurt his commercial appeal ..... it was his proclivaty towards voilence out of the ring, especially towards women, that did him in

The guy had his 1st fight in March of '85 - tore through the rankings compiling 27 wins before winning the belt from Berbrick in November of '86

There were dozens of complaints of abuse and harrassment towards women at this time, he had two children out of wedlock and then the very public and very messy marriage/divorce to Robin Givens from '87-'89

The loss to Buster Douglas in February of '90 - 4 more fights over the next 16 months than off to prison on a rape conviction - he was indicted in September of '91

There really wasn't much time for him to cash in the way he could have/should have - but really only himself to blame

Old 09-04-2013, 02:16 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,262,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
(I wonder if Cassius Clay endorsed anything but the eras were different - maybe he did.)

I don't know if he had any endorsements when he was still Cassius Clay (maybe some local commercials in Louisville), but I certainly remember Ali for D-Con anti-roach products.

D-Con Roach Traps w/ Muhammad Ali - YouTube

Old 09-04-2013, 02:23 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,262,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
...I certainly remember Ali for D-Con anti-roach products.
Which was parodied by David Allen Grier in this sketch from "In Living Color":

Three Champs And A Baby - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports